Old 10-04-2013, 02:31 PM   #1
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
anyone figured out the cushions on the 27FB?

I know I've seen a photo of the cushions in the dinette of a 27FB all made up like a big comfy sofa. But I haven't quite figured out how they're supposed to go. I see I have what looks like a totally extra one tucked between the starboard side seat and the wall of the trailer. It even has snaps on it to keep it there. What is that for?

Old 10-04-2013, 03:59 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Two cushions drop down to cover the lowered table. The third one is a head rest/back board as found on normal bed to be used as needed.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 04:39 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Windsor , Connecticut
Here's a video of how to make the dinette into a bed.

http://youtu.be/gkczJY2AVHE

Sue
yikessue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:47 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
The Colonial Airstream video on the post above showed an ultra leather dinette. The fabric upholstery is set up the same, but the bolster cushions used on the table top tend to slide around A LOT MORE. And the ultra leather is thicker - to the fabric cushions don't make a luxurious bed without a bit of help.

Solution. Keep a couple of pieces of foam shelf liner or plain non-slide rug backing around, and put it on the table before wedging the small cushions down.
Use a mattress topper of some sort to thicken and soften the cushions (and if kids are sleeping there consider the benefits of waterproofing your dinette cushions!) I just tuck flat sheets in for both bottom and top, but some folks like to use a sleeping bag - or two zipped together because they're easily rolled up during the day.

About the shelf liner - I stapled a bunch of it down on the plywood under my mattress in the bedroom... sure limits the slip-slide of the mattress!

Paula
Old 10-04-2013, 06:58 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Using an Anti-Fatigue Foam Mat under the cushions helps to. It helps reduce the hard plywood feeling under the cushions, 1/2" mat seems to help as much or more then a 2" topper.

4 Piece Anti-Fatigue Foam Mat Set
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:31 PM   #6
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
Cool. Thanks for the video and info. We've got the ultra leather. That explains it nicely. Has anyone thought of taking that dinette out and putting two swiveling recliners there? Something with flip up trays or similar. How about two first class airline seats?
Old 10-05-2013, 12:17 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
Cool. Thanks for the video and info. We've got the ultra leather. That explains it nicely. Has anyone thought of taking that dinette out and putting two swiveling recliners there? Something with flip up trays or similar. How about two first class airline seats?
We took dinette and side lounge out last week, put in recliners same as 30' recliner option. Will add center console and folding table from 30' in couple weeks, and I will update the photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	285.6 KB
ID:	197114  

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 02:29 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
We took dinette and side lounge out last week, put in recliners same as 30' recliner option. Will add center console and folding table from 30' in couple weeks, and I will update the photo.
You took out the side lounge? What about the furnace ? Pictures pictures pictures please!

Paula
Old 10-05-2013, 03:53 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Tell us more!!!!

Start a separate thread and tell us much more about this project on a 25, please.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:28 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
You took out the side lounge? What about the furnace ? Pictures pictures pictures please!

Paula
We have the 25' front dinette version, furnace on the opposite side below the sink. The converter is under our lounge as well as a wire chase. The converter is well away next to the fridge, but the wires need to be covered. The furnace may allow adequate space for recliners set at a slight and normal angle in a 25-27FB. There is space alongside the recliner for a wiring chase as needed.

I removed the side lounge and the complete dinette, and put the recliners in. We are impressed with their comfort. We have an appointment at Jackson Center Airstream Service mid-month to install the 30' folding side table and small center console with folding table top, as well as their 27-point inspection and Seal Tech leak test. We asked to them build a corner console over the converter and next to the fridge, similar to the 30' Classic.

Yes, we will start a separate thread with some photos when done in a couple of weeks. We look forward to this, having it in mind when we bought the new Airstream two years ago, knowing we really needed an "Airstream-for-two" and they don't make one. We are retired and that's how we travel. We lost some storage but going through everything sorting the real needs, there is plenty of other storage.

Old 10-05-2013, 09:37 AM   #11
Rivet Master

I eagerly await the pictures in the near future! We own a 25FB and I have gleam in my eye about, maybe someday, removing the rear dinette and installing recliners.
Larry
Old 10-05-2013, 10:35 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Larry, will do. There are several installations done already by folks in 25'/27', different equipment but the goal is the same, greater seating comfort. Search recliners.

Our Airstream is almost new so we decided to use Airstream factory components and Service Center to essentially build a model variation they don't offer except for the 30', which is more trailer than we wanted to move around and about $20K more real cost.

This is a leap of faith in the Service Center; I looked over a vintage trailer there they completely refurbished last year and it was nicely done.

Old 10-05-2013, 02:00 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Thanks Doug. I will ask you more questions when you post the pics.
Larry

Tags
2011 international