Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2016, 09:23 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Fenton , Michigan
27FB Bathroom Size

We bought our new 27FB Twin this past summer. We looked at many lengths, floor plans and models before making this selection. It had all the features we felt were needed but made a big compromise with the bathroom size and layout. The bathroom on the 27FB ....mainly the toilet space and leg room while sitting are borderline unuseable for me. Frankly the layout shown on the Airstream web site and brochures are different than what the actual bathroom layout is. The difference is the counter and cabinet relative to the toilet.

I am wondering if any other owners have this same issue or feel this way?

I am looking to modify the cabinet under the counter to allow for more leg room. It will be difficult because of the water heater location, but I have to do it in order to use the toilet properly (if you know what I mean).

I would appreciate any thoughts others may have that could help.

Thanks,
Zach
Old 10-23-2016, 09:50 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Long Beach , California
I've sort of gotten used to it. However, I came to this via the 19', where I had to sit at a 45-degree angle on the toilet with one leg in the shower.

An option is to close the sliding door to the rest of the trailer and leave the door open while using the bathroom.
LBOskiBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 12:09 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Wenatchee , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBOskiBear View Post
... An option is to close the sliding door to the rest of the trailer and leave the door open while using the bathroom.

+1. That's what I do. Needless to say, we've never had any problem respecting each other's privacy.
WBCCI #7180
21Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 05:59 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
re: open door - we do the same as I am 6'1". Much easier. When door must be shut for some reason, it is pretty tight and my right knee is right up against the door. I make slow movements to avoid hurting myself by banging into walls
Philip Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 09:05 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
I'm only 5'8", and I leave the door open when using the toilet. It's a trailer, and one has to make some compromises regarding space. That said, in this instance, being short is good.

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 09:23 AM   #6
ShinyPete

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Bushnell , Florida
We do the same thing in Pete, our 27 FB, we leave the door open most of the time. If the trailer is level we actually leave the bath door hanging open parallel across the hallway while using the bath or shower, making it a true split bath.

One of the handiest interior mods I did was to mount a magnetic door catch and base on the lower side of the bathroom wall in front of the converter/on base of the door. That catches the base of the door when it's completely open swung into the kitchen area, it's not obtrusive, and it holds the door perfectly open.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
ShinyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 01:38 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyPete View Post
We do the same thing in Pete, our 27 FB, we leave the door open most of the time. If the trailer is level we actually leave the bath door hanging open parallel across the hallway while using the bath or shower, making it a true split bath.

One of the handiest interior mods I did was to mount a magnetic door catch and base on the lower side of the bathroom wall in front of the converter/on base of the door. That catches the base of the door when it's completely open swung into the kitchen area, it's not obtrusive, and it holds the door perfectly open.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
That's a nifty mod - do you have a pic to post? I've always liked it when the trailer is somewhat uneven so that the door can swing 180-degrees open and rest in that position.

Alternatively, when showering, instead of pulling the front slider, we use a velcro strap to keep the door at a 90-degree opening across the trailer. It secures to the door-mounted towel bar and the wall-mounted towel hook next to the shower.
LBOskiBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 02:01 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I haven't checked to see if the measurements are the same, but that's one of the reasons we went with a rear twin on our 25'. The sofa is shorter and the bathroom bigger than in front bedroom model. Wanted the bathroom space, sofa was plenty big too.
Old 10-25-2016, 04:42 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' International
Gaffney , South Carolina
We just got a 25FB and have enjoyed it. I got the job done OK but in reaching down to pull up my pants found that I had to stick my head in the toilet to do so. Glad to hear from others with more creative ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBOskiBear View Post
I've sort of gotten used to it. However, I came to this via the 19', where I had to sit at a 45-degree angle on the toilet with one leg in the shower.

An option is to close the sliding door to the rest of the trailer and leave the door open while using the bathroom.
DT57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 01:45 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
2016 27' International
Saint Paul , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by zrthompson View Post
We bought our new 27FB Twin this past summer. We looked at many lengths, floor plans and models before making this selection. It had all the features we felt were needed but made a big compromise with the bathroom size and layout. The bathroom on the 27FB ....mainly the toilet space and leg room while sitting are borderline unuseable for me. Frankly the layout shown on the Airstream web site and brochures are different than what the actual bathroom layout is. The difference is the counter and cabinet relative to the toilet.

I am wondering if any other owners have this same issue or feel this way?

I am looking to modify the cabinet under the counter to allow for more leg room. It will be difficult because of the water heater location, but I have to do it in order to use the toilet properly (if you know what I mean).

I would appreciate any thoughts others may have that could help.

Thanks,
Zach
I am a bit late to this discussion but we just upgraded from a 25FB to a 27FB and I totally agree with you. The brochure does not represent the facts. Our 25FB bathroom was like the brochure shows but since the water heater is under the sink in the 27FB and the had to enlarge the cabinet, it takes room away from the bathroom. On top of that there is less room in the cabinet under the sink.
tooleshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 02:07 PM   #11

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
Pull the toilet and turn the flange to the right (clockwise) a few degrees.
Leave the door open a bit when using and problem is much better.
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 07:21 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
I agree fully with this problem. AS could have done a better job, but a bit late now. Turning the flange? I just might do that!

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 05:51 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
Estill Springs , Tennessee
That's why we went with 25' rear twin international. The bathroom is bigger! It has to do with wheel placement and then bathroom placement. Husband went back and forth measuring and looking at the plans to find the difference. And it makes a big difference when taking care of business.
rjjef is offline   Reply With Quote