Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > International > 2011 - 2015 International
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-19-2013, 10:34 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Currently Looking...
kirkland , Washington
2013 Serenity 23D Interior Efficiency

Love our new International Serenity, BUT, there isnt much storage space.
Its kind of a joke that the lower storage closets are so narrow.

And the bulkhead above the sink and stove??? Why so deep?
If I put anything in it, I cant see it. Need a step stool to see inside.

Yes there are two storage bins under the bed, BUT you have to get on your knees to pull out the one that is behind the other.

And how do you hang up anything on the walls? Not much wall space. Sure could use a little round clock.

Can anyone give me some tips on how they store things in this rig?

Any tips on how to organize one's stuff would be greatly appreciated.
adiben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Many years of VW Camper experience taught us about storage of stuff.

Best tip is to take as little stuff as possible. Use multi-purpose cooking equipment. Clothing needs can be customized for a particular trip. Same with food, and groceries are often available along the way.

We use a variety of plastic storage boxes, large and small, to keep things organized and in place.

There must be a spot for a clock? I think the clean and simple design of the Serenity lends itself to minimize additional decor. Looks well as is.

That's a gorgeous trailer you have, and clever interior layout. Nice emphasis on the living space which is similar in size and design to our 25' front dinette, which we like very much.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:46 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Hi,
It's all in learning exactly how best to utilize the space most efficiently. Keep working at it until you find the solution that is best for you. It is kind of like a real life jigsaw puzzle that resolves itself with time and experience. My wife and I are sailors so we are accustomed to traveling/living this way. It is truly a mindset! As a matter of fact we are out now for about five weeks with our 16' Serenity and we are amazed at just how much room there actually is in this, the smallest of Airstreams. We love it!

Doug gives good advice though. Work at paring back on your list of what is necessary. Trailer living is a perfect model for learning that less really is more. At first we added things to the trailer every time we used it. Now we are removing things. We do this until we find the balance that works best for our way of life. It can be fun figuring this all out. By the way, even after a lifetime of small boat sailing and a year of owning and using our Serenity, we find we have packed too much for this trip. We are already paring down our list. The process goes on and on...

One last thought, each year at the end of the season we remove everything from our boat. I mean everything! Interior cushions, gear, clothing, safety gear, your tooth brush, it all comes off when the boat is readied for winter storage. This forces you to examine every decision about what is necessary onboard. It is a perfect time to work on that list!

Have fun with your trailer!

Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:41 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Blowing Rock , North Carolina
When we bought our first Airstream (19 ft Bambi) our friends with a Casita told us their rule of thumb...everything must have three uses. It isn't always possible, but think about it and you can often find two and sometimes three uses for things.

We now have a 23 ft Airstream with front couch. It seems mammoth compared to our Bambi. The 23 ft has two hang up closets. Previous owner put shelves in one and we put wire baskets (closet maid) in them and they are great for folded clothes. We can see what's in there too since they are wire. When we go camping we don't really need two closets for hang up things. Also, think about putting a cord on the back tub under the bed and you won't have to get on your knees to pull it out. Also, you indicated a need for a step stool to reach upper cubby's...consider one with space inside for stuff (two uses?).
Jimz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:07 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Gosh. We have the same trailer as Jimz, a 23' with the front lounge. Even though we've taken 2 week trips with the trailer, we've never filled all of the cabinets inside.

Use the underbed storage with two clothes baskets - the front one can be the "active" one for dirty laundry while the back one holds other clothes that don't fit in the wardrobe which you don't need all the time. (We put kayaking or biking clothes there.) Or use a set of Mountainsmith Modular Haulers to help organize stuff back there - they work great for us.

Anyway, I'm sure you will soon learn your own tricks for optimizing the space that you have. Enjoy the new trailer!

Tom
Old 02-20-2013, 06:10 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Dorsey found this little stool at a Christmastree Shop for about $4.00.
Works great for her use and believe me she needs it at 5'0" tall.
It stores in the closet nicely out of the way when we don't want it....
Bruce
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	441.2 KB
ID:	179397  
Old 02-20-2013, 06:11 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Here it is deployed....
Bruce
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	407.6 KB
ID:	179398  
Old 02-20-2013, 06:22 AM   #8

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
We have a 19' Bambi CCD with a lot less storage and have found several ways to maximize the overheads etc. first we bought some baskets (grey and red color) that we use for the overhead lockers. It's a lot easier to get stuff in and out of them and everything stays in place it's also a lot nicer looking with the cabinet lights on. We also bought a plastic 3 drawer organizer for the closet, use it for underwear and socks while leaving space for the shirts. As for the refrigerator we bought several different containers to maximize the small space and use nesting cookware and other nesting products. We have everything we need and even have empty space in the locker over the bed. Just organize your space and you will find you have more than enough storage.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2181996932.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	431.8 KB
ID:	179399  
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:03 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Nice video from Colonial...

As others have said, you work out what to take and what not to take over time; we've pared down considerably and are nowhere near filling the storage in our 28' Serenity.

As for the clock, we used a 3M stick on hook just above the TV to mount an analogue model and I see from the video that there's room to do the same on the 23'. That wall is good for the adhesive and the hooks do come off cleanly if you want them to - the clock comes down for travelling, though! I'd agree with Doug that the Serenity is about clean lines and being minimal and the clock is our only addition, other than a alligator fridge magnet from Louisiana on the stove hood!

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:04 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
Dorsey found this little stool at a Christmastree Shop for about $4.00.
Works great for her use and believe me she needs it at 5'0" tall.
It stores in the closet nicely out of the way when we don't want it....
Bruce
Being shorter folks, DW & I use one of these, too.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:25 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by adiben View Post
Love our new International Serenity, BUT, there isnt much storage space.

And the bulkhead above the sink and stove??? Why so deep?
If I put anything in it, I cant see it. Need a step stool to see inside.

We note the same thing when going from an FC to the Int/EB overhead storage. The flip up doors on the FC makes access much easier.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:15 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
kirkland , Washington
I am very visual and would LOVE to see people organize their closets. The wire basket idea is brilliant. Off to Bed Bath and Beyond I go. So send photos please.

And thanks for the video of the Serenity 23D. Its exactly like ours with the taupe couch.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:12 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
[QUOTE=adiben;1263428]Love our new International Serenity, BUT, there isnt much storage space.
Its kind of a joke that the lower storage closets are so narrow.

My husband built a large drawer under the lounge where there was a narrow opening. He secured the duct which runs behind and had plenty space to make me a nice drawer for my pots and pans. It even holds my large bowls.

Name:	1-29-12 2007 25' Airstream 001.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	309.6 KB
ID:	179469

Name:	1-29-12 2007 25' Airstream 002.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	309.6 KB
ID:	179470
Old 02-21-2013, 12:53 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
StreamNTyme, that modification looks fantastic - like it's factory! Since we'll probably wind up with a 25FB at some point (doesn't everyone?), want to keep that idea in mind...

Tom
Old 02-21-2013, 09:48 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
kirkland , Washington
StreamNTyme, how brilliant is that? I love it. How the heck did your hubby get to the ducts? And why didn't Airstream think of this?

Yes, those under the couch cubbies are a royal joke.

How about the one under the stove? Seems like you can only put a few cleaning supplies in there.

I am still in denial thinking that there is some surprise draw that is going to appear that will give us ample storage space.

Was so overly ecstatic when I discovered the 2 little cubby closets under the closet on the left side of hallway.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:50 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
kirkland , Washington
Send more ideas please. Photos always help. Thanks so much.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:32 AM   #17

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Our Bambi is in storage but is way more limited in storage than your 23' (layout in the rear is the same) and sorry but ours is in storage so I added pictures of things we use to conserve space. We like to cook and found these items helpful. As for the small cabinet under your stove (its the same size as the one under our fridge) we use it for our dog food container and on long trips with out the dogs it's a great space for extra coke and water bottles. Also just buy some baskets for your overheads, it looks nicer and keeps everything in place while traveling.

Nesting cookware
Nesting measuring cups, strainer and mixing bowl.
Plastic drawers in the closet (leaves room for the shirts) for socks and underwear.
Organizer for the medicine cabinet (2)

We also use two long plastic tubs for the storage under the bed

You will find you have more than enough storage and as everyone said you will probably reduce what you bring over time. Have fun setting up your new rig!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-102963004.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	179572   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1686234878.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	179574  

Attached Images

blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:42 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Arrow

New owner of a preowned 2008 Classic 25 FB. First love the drawer under the couch but I don't have the skill set to make it!

My next question. How do you fit a square peg in a round hole? I'm talking about the overhead cabinets that have the curve. Some things just don't fit. Fit on the bottom but the top hits the curve. I was warned about this buy my stick trailer/motorhome friends. Anyone make storage containers to fit the overheads and make use of all the space?

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:24 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
New owner of a preowned 2008 Classic 25 FB. First love the drawer under the couch but I don't have the skill set to make it!

My next question. How do you fit a square peg in a round hole? I'm talking about the overhead cabinets that have the curve. Some things just don't fit. Fit on the bottom but the top hits the curve. I was warned about this buy my stick trailer/motorhome friends. Anyone make storage containers to fit the overheads and make use of all the space?

Kelvin
Try stacking two or three rectangular containers, each of decreasing size, deepest on the bottom, narrow on top. For dinnerware Corelle makes some square plates/bowls that fit the galley cabinets well.

An Airstreamer heeds no warnings from stick trailer/moho people because we have imagination.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:36 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Kirkland , Washington
StreamNTyme, that drawer under the lounge is a great solution for storage and I may "borrow" it for our 25' FC. How is the drawer secured to keep it from opening while in transit?

Thanks for sharing.

Ron
ResoRon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2012 international