Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2016, 12:16 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 19' International
Orange County , California
19 & 23D Dinnete/Bed Conversion

A few weeks ago we attempted to convert our dinette on our 2016 19' to a bed. I racked my head against the wall trying to figure out how to make the dinette-bed?

We went to the local Airstream dealer and tried in another 19' to no prevail. We attempted to make the dinette-bed in a 23D and still the cushions would not fit.

Finally we tried on a 25FB and the dinette bed fit perfectly.

I have realized that the 25FB is 6" wider than the 19' and 23D. The dinette table is also wider in the 25FB than the 19' and 23D.

The problem is the back cushions on the 19' and 23D are the same size as the 25FB however they physically can't fit between the dinnete seat cushions on the smaller dinette table when folded down.

What solution has everyone come up with who owns a 19' or 23D? My only thought is to make an extra cushion which is narrower to be used only for when converting the dinette to a bed. Another issue is where to store said cushion?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Jon
TinVenture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 02:57 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
The two thin cushions will fit, but you have to squeeze them in the middle. I take all the cushions off, lower the table, put the two large ones in, then "angle" the skinny ones in between. It's a weird setup but it does work. One of the "wall" cushions has a cutout for the battery switch so those are not symmetrical. Good luck!

There are a couple YouTube videos, I think from a dealer in New Jersey, where the guy sets this up while filming.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 10:06 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2016 19' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
The two thin cushions will fit, but you have to squeeze them in the middle. I take all the cushions off, lower the table, put the two large ones in, then "angle" the skinny ones in between. It's a weird setup but it does work. One of the "wall" cushions has a cutout for the battery switch so those are not symmetrical. Good luck!

There are a couple YouTube videos, I think from a dealer in New Jersey, where the guy sets this up while filming.
We squeezed the 2 skinny cushions in between the larger cushions. They were squished together very tightly. After one night of use it caused creases and wrinkles which took weeks to get out. We will not do that again.

I was browsing the Colonial Airstream sight and found a 23D for sale which has the same size cushions as our 19. As you can see by their photo, it doesn't fit properly. They only use one skinny cushion in between the 2 larger ones and pushed one of the larger cushions away from the wall creating a gap.

I looked at the 2017 models and it appears Airstream corrected this by making all the cushions the correct size. This was poorly thought out from the beginning

Jon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	03.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	156.7 KB
ID:	274375  
Old 10-28-2016, 02:44 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinVenture View Post
We squeezed the 2 skinny cushions in between the larger cushions. They were squished together very tightly. After one night of use it caused creases and wrinkles which took weeks to get out. We will not do that again.

I was browsing the Colonial Airstream sight and found a 23D for sale which has the same size cushions as our 19. As you can see by their photo, it doesn't fit properly. They only use one skinny cushion in between the 2 larger ones and pushed one of the larger cushions away from the wall creating a gap.

I looked at the 2017 models and it appears Airstream corrected this by making all the cushions the correct size. This was poorly thought out from the beginning

Jon
Do you have leather cushions? We have put ours in this configuration and they didn't crease at all. Maybe the quality of the cushions has changed.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 07:08 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Hillsborito , Oregon
We too find this as an issue in our 23D but eventually accepted it.......sigh...we still lover her though
i2oadRunnei2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 11:29 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2016 19' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
Do you have leather cushions? We have put ours in this configuration and they didn't crease at all. Maybe the quality of the cushions has changed.
Yes, they are the Ultraleather cushions. The creases appeared as if they were ironed in after one nights use. The creases did eventually go away after about a week.

The Ultraleather also shifted around the foam so the seams were not lined up properly. We had to unzip the cover and stretch it in the right direction to try and get it back to the way it was before.

Jon
Old 10-30-2016, 11:38 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2016 19' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by i2oadRunnei2 View Post
We too find this as an issue in our 23D but eventually accepted it.......sigh...we still lover her though
Do you use one or two cushions when you convert to the dinette to a bed? We will have to convert our dinette to a bed next weekend in Big Bear but we will only use one cushion this time!

We first contemplated upgrading to 23D because of the couch. Then we considered a 25FB due to the wider chassis, separate shower/toilet and larger tanks.

In the end, we realized we love our 19' as it's just the two of us. It's easy to get in and out of smaller campgrounds and it's easiy to find last minute spots.

Jon
Old 10-31-2016, 12:06 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Hillsborito , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinVenture View Post
Do you use one or two cushions when you convert to the dinette to a bed? We will have to convert our dinette to a bed next weekend in Big Bear but we will only use one cushion this time!
We used both cushions. We are planning a 3 day trip this coming week for one more maiden voyage before we winterize her and this will only be our second trip. I'll see how one cushion turns out and if it's too loose for my liking I'll stick to the stiff two cushion like before.

The wife and I love the 'lounge' section in the 23D in case we bring a guest. IF we ever decide to move up, the only model w/ the closest floorplan is the 28
Old 11-06-2016, 11:38 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2016 19' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by i2oadRunnei2 View Post
We used both cushions. We are planning a 3 day trip this coming week for one more maiden voyage before we winterize her and this will only be our second trip. I'll see how one cushion turns out and if it's too loose for my liking I'll stick to the stiff two cushion like before.

The wife and I love the 'lounge' section in the 23D in case we bring a guest. IF we ever decide to move up, the only model w/ the closest floorplan is the 28
We had a guest with us this last weekend and tried the one cushion method. It worked out very well. We just slid the two bottom cushions about 6" away from each side and placed one backrest on the bottom. We used the other cushion to place against the back where the dinette table attaches to the wall. Keeping the two side cushions buttoned to the wall was no problem considering my sister-in-law is only about 5' 2". If I were to sleep there (5' 9") I would have to remove the side cushions to utilize the full space.

If we were to upgrade, the wife already has her eyes set on a 27' Pendleton

Jon
Old 11-07-2016, 10:57 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Hillsborito , Oregon
Alas, we just got back yesterday and the single cushions is way too loose (unless we were not using the right combination). For some reason this second time around the cushions aren't as tight like our first trip and feels softer. I guess having our 3 and 5 year olds walking and bouncing (no jumping) help cush the cushions better lol.

We both loved the Pendleton but it'll be a while before we move up from our 23D.