Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2010, 02:29 PM   #1
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
enlighten me.....stovetop

Why is only one burner adjustable. What is the logic behind that ?

Thanks,
Shane

Tow Vehicle" 2023 F250 Azure Gray!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 02:39 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Classic
Clermont , Florida
Not sure what you mean -- all three of the burners are adjustable on my 2006 Safari.

As a side note -- we just bought a portable induction cooktop -- it was around $100, and boils water FAST, and awesome for outside use -- not impacted by wind.

Here is the link: Portable Induction Cooktop | Fagor

2013 27 FB Classic Limited
2019 Ford F250 King Ranch 6.7L Diesel
WBCCI 03288 TAC PA-17
tkowalyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 02:49 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Are you sure? Unless the adjustment affects all, easy to test, close it and get yellow flame, open until it is blue.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 03:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Hey Shane - I know exactly what you mean. Our current range in our SOB trailer has 3 burners. Only one of them is adjustable with the knob. The other two are either on or off. You can play with them a bit to turn the flame down, but it gets pretty touchy. Why is it like that? I have no idea. Cheaper version of the stove I guess. Seems silly to me, and something I will look to avoid when we buy a new range for Little Girl.

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 03:47 PM   #5
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minno View Post
Hey Shane - I know exactly what you mean. Our current range in our SOB trailer has 3 burners. Only one of them is adjustable with the knob. The other two are either on or off. You can play with them a bit to turn the flame down, but it gets pretty touchy. Why is it like that? I have no idea. Cheaper version of the stove I guess. Seems silly to me, and something I will look to avoid when we buy a new range for Little Girl.

Chris

Yep only the front center is adjustable. Never thought to look at that before buying. I wonder if I can add an adjustment to the other two.

Still makes no sense.

Shane

TAC ID TX-1432
Old 04-08-2010, 06:16 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
it may be a high output burner.

I spoke to an airstream dealer a couple of weeks ago and he told me that the 3 burner has one high output burner so the water will heat faster on that one versus 3 burners that only will run with low-med output.
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 06:27 PM   #7
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsbunny View Post
it may be a high output burner.

I spoke to an airstream dealer a couple of weeks ago and he told me that the 3 burner has one high output burner so the water will heat faster on that one versus 3 burners that only will run with low-med output.
No Offense, but I do have a Bridge for sale in Arizona with a ocean view for anyone who buys that comment from the salesman.

Whats that quote?......"Don't change anything just improve it"

Not in this case.

Shane

TAC ID TX-1432
Old 04-08-2010, 07:13 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
From the Magic Chef Website...

Gas cooktops and oven ranges from Magic Chef give the convenience and high performance of a traditional kitchen stove.

Each features a 9100 btu superburner and two 6500 btu rear burners. Tru-Seal burners keep spills from getting under the cooktop (Sealed Ranges only). Deep-well Spill Catcher top, scuff-resistant steel surface and easy-to-read control panel. Quiet Ride Design means rattle-free travel. Ovens feature built-in broiler and multi-position racks.
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 07:18 PM   #9
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

Arlington , Texas
I still call BS. Superburner my butt. I have a gas stovetop in my home and it's less in the stream. There is no reason to not have 3 adjustable outputs. IMO.

Anyway the bridge is not sold , yet.....

Shane

TAC ID TX-1432
Old 04-08-2010, 08:03 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Hmmm. The gas range in our home also have one higher-output burner...they are all adjustable but one is a super burner. Must be the same concept in the AS.... We use all three burners in the AS with no problems...everything gets cooked.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:24 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Shane,

I will try to answer your question. NO, it is not normal for only one burner to be adjustable. NO, NO, NO.

The high output is true even though "high" output is only by comparison. One of the three, the front one usually, does have an higher output than the back two. But that has nothing to do with how you adjust your burners. I would have them check it out. Something is wrong with the valves.

Dick
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 06:31 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
No, no, no.... Shane is dead on accurate in that he has two burners that are not adjustable. It's a cheaper version of a stove top, just like we have in our StarStream. I'm with Shane - it makes no sense, but that's the way it is. High output, regular output, whatever, it makes no sense to have burners that only have a on/off valve. The only option is to replace the stove top or the valves as I see it. If we used all 3 burners more often, and we didn't have Little Girl as our current money sucking project , I'd replace the two valves on my stove.

Chris
Old 04-09-2010, 11:08 AM   #13
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEPILL View Post
Why is only one burner adjustable.
all 3 burners on the stove top are adjustable.

typically the front burner is higher btu and the back to burners a bit less...

the international comes with 1 of several model cooktop/ovens depending on trailer SIZE and range only/full oven configurations.

ALL of the operations are covered in the owners PACKET (not the manual) with a specific manual directly from the manufacturer...

one of 2 companies (maytag/magic chef or seaward products)

these are NEW trailers folks, your old stuff isn't exactly the same.

generally...

the front/center burner has a "simmer" feature so it can be turned way way down without going OUT...

the other 2 burners (back/sides) are also adjustable, but NOT down to same tiny flame degree...

(this has to do with a linear adjustment valve vs something else)

and the adjustment is the OPPOSITE direction on the knob for the back burners...

or pile some sticks outside and cook the old fashion way...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 12:23 PM   #14
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
all 3 burners on the stove top are adjustable.

typically the front burner is higher btu and the back to burners a bit less...

the international comes with 1 of several model cooktop/ovens depending on trailer SIZE and range only/full oven configurations.

ALL of the operations are covered in the owners PACKET (not the manual) with a specific manual directly from the manufacturer...

one of 2 companies (maytag/magic chef or seaward products)

these are NEW trailers folks, your old stuff isn't exactly the same.

generally...

the front/center burner has a "simmer" feature so it can be turned way way down without going OUT...

the other 2 burners (back/sides) are also adjustable, but NOT down to same tiny flame degree...

(this has to do with a linear adjustment valve vs something else)

and the adjustment is the OPPOSITE direction on the knob for the back burners...

or pile some sticks outside and cook the old fashion way...

cheers
2air'
2air, Thank-you you are correct, they all three are adjustable, but barely. I mean the rear burners are VERRRRRY sensitive. No indicators on the buttons at all but you can "tweak" them and lower the flame.

I stand corrected.

Again, Thanks,
Shane

TAC ID TX-1432
Old 04-09-2010, 02:03 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Shane,

I still you and I are right. Here's the range I have:

Large-Capacity Oven with Built-In Broiler - Heavy Steel Cooktop Grates that Look Great and Stand up to Serious Everyday Cooking - Multiposition Non-Tilt Chrome Oven Racks - Towel Bar Handles and Knobs That Offer the Same Convenience and Style As Your Range At Home - 9,100 BTU Superburner with Infinite Heat Control - Two 6,500 BTU Burners - High-Gloss Polished-Aluminum Burner Heads - Slanted Control Panel with Easy-To-Read Graphics - Deep-Well Spill-Catcher Top - Scuff-Resistant Textured-Steel Surface

Note that the two 6,500 BTU say nothing about being adjustable. Yes, you can tweak them down a bit, but I don't think that's the intent of the design, as the range of motion from off to full on is about a 2 degree arc (on a 360 degree circle). I still think this was a cost saving measure by the manufacture, and I will NEVER buy a range like it again.

Chris
Old 04-09-2010, 02:31 PM   #16
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minno View Post
Shane,

I still you and I are right. Here's the range I have:

Large-Capacity Oven with Built-In Broiler - Heavy Steel Cooktop Grates that Look Great and Stand up to Serious Everyday Cooking - Multiposition Non-Tilt Chrome Oven Racks - Towel Bar Handles and Knobs That Offer the Same Convenience and Style As Your Range At Home - 9,100 BTU Superburner with Infinite Heat Control - Two 6,500 BTU Burners - High-Gloss Polished-Aluminum Burner Heads - Slanted Control Panel with Easy-To-Read Graphics - Deep-Well Spill-Catcher Top - Scuff-Resistant Textured-Steel Surface

Note that the two 6,500 BTU say nothing about being adjustable. Yes, you can tweak them down a bit, but I don't think that's the intent of the design, as the range of motion from off to full on is about a 2 degree arc (on a 360 degree circle). I still think this was a cost saving measure by the manufacture, and I will NEVER buy a range like it again.

Chris

I don't even have the stove....

But my wife has Mastered the convection/microwave, though. Flaky biscuits and butter crusted apple pies are delicious. I really didn't think it could cook like that, but it can.

Back to the burners,....at least I can reduce them to "simmer". <barely>

Shane

TAC ID TX-1432
Old 04-09-2010, 03:59 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2008 28' Safari SE
winter garden , Florida
the only purpose I have found for the stove is to purge the air out of the lines so I can light my water heater after prolonged storage. I prefer cooking the old fashioned way, yes that's right, making reservations.
bob34787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 04:48 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Land of fruits and nuts , California
The back two are very sensitive but I can adjust them lower than I can the front one. If you don't have good coordination or parkinsons or something, you are screwed--I've turned them off accidentally more times than I can count. I'm quite certain the sensitive burners cost less. You'd think Airstream wouldn't put such touchy burners in their "premium" product, but I digress.
Airstream01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2010 international