Old 07-05-2008, 10:23 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1948 16' Wee Wind
1964 26' Overlander
2007 19' Bambi
crossville , Tennessee
1949 wee wind interior

anybody got specs for sink cabinet ,closets ect for 48 wee wind, mine came with cab over windows & dash otherwise interior is bare and I really
want to put it right.

Old 07-06-2008, 09:39 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestonrv View Post
anybody got specs for sink cabinet ,closets ect for 48 wee wind, mine came with cab over windows & dash otherwise interior is bare and I really want to put it right.
Hi Crestonrv:

Here are some measurements from Wee Wind s/n 3003, the third one built so perhaps furnished differently than yours was originally. Look for holes in walls, floor, etc. to see how yours may have been furnished from the factory. My early Wee Wind can be seen here on RJ Dial's web site:

48WeeWind

Below are two photos of the curb side chest and closet and of the street side galley. Some overall measurements to get you started are:

2 drawer chest: 18" deep (face to wall) at top, 15-3/4" deep at floor, 18" wide (side to side) at top and at floor, 34-3/4" high.

closet: 19" deep at top, 22" deep at floor, 19-3/4" wide at floor and mid-section, 22-3/4" wide at top. The wood band around the top is 1-1/4" high and creates a wall that is 3/4" deep from the surface of the top to the top of band.

Galley: 17" deep at floor, 19-1/4" deep at top, overall width is 50" divided into 21" width at platform for stove top and 29" width for sink top. The rear of the galley surface is a 1" bent riser (parallel to wall) that stops flush with the window sill.

The sink top surface is 1" below the window sill. The stove top platform surface is 8" below the sink top surface. My stove top sits on two "Z" brackets along both sides that have their flat mounting surface 4-1/2" above the platform top. This provides some storage underneath the stove top. Yours will vary depending on which stove or stove top you install.

The storage area door below the stove top is 20" wide and 23-1/4" high. The ice box door is 26-7/8" wide and 14-5/8" high. The storage area door below the ice box is 26-1/2" wide and 10-1/2" high. The two galley doors (not the ice box door) are single sheets of exterior aluminum with slightly broken edges (bent inward on a sheet metal brake) which are stiffened with a 5/8" X 5/8" aluminum angle riveted around the inside perimeter of the door. The rivets are visible on the door exteriors. The ice box door is insulated.

Note that other Wee Winds have different (typically wider) galleys. Mine is rather narrow to leave room for the single chaise which converts into a bed.

My front bed is 3' deep at center and about 4" narrower than the width of the trailer along the bed's front edge. The bed overhangs the front aluminum support underneath by 6".

My rear bed is 4' deep and is about 5" narrower than the trailer width along the bed's front edge. It overhangs the support below it by 1". The drawer front under the rear bed is 34" wide and 7" high. A sheet metal aluminum riveted box is attached to the drawer front.

Hope this data helps you get started.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	curb side cabinets.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	63269   Click image for larger version

Name:	street side galley.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	63270  

Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Charter Associate Member FCU
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 07:20 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1948 16' Wee Wind
1964 26' Overlander
2007 19' Bambi
crossville , Tennessee
i have front dash(chrome job with door access)and the sheet metal under it. but your measurements will help alot as I plan to fab cabs as ness to put back to stock.
saw yours before and a couple others but would have been guessing at measurements
thanks this info will help a lot. bill
Old 07-07-2008, 08:09 AM   #4

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
RJ Dial's master page is here - Vintage Airstream Photo Archives.

The goal should be to have materials be as light as the original.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 07:38 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1948 16' Wee Wind
1964 26' Overlander
2007 19' Bambi
crossville , Tennessee
In my experiance it's not hard togo lighter than a/s, they build our coach out of alum. then fill it with oak and compressed wood.have done several refurbish jobs and stripping weight is always a consideration.
is that closet covering the p/s window stock?
Old 02-15-2010, 12:47 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1956 16' Bubble
Dallas , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestonrv View Post
In my experiance it's not hard togo lighter than a/s, they build our coach out of alum. then fill it with oak and compressed wood.have done several refurbish jobs and stripping weight is always a consideration.
is that closet covering the p/s window stock?
nice info--i'm debating buying a wee wind at the moment (2/14/2010) which is basically just a nice shell and frame. it's already stripped out but nothing on the interior was salvaged i guess. what would you guys pay for a shell on frame in good shape without dents or tears? it seems to be a jem of a find. i'm very tempted by it right now. also--do you think the stock frame if in good condition is strong enough for 55-66 mph modern highway speeds--or will i get into big trouble if it remains stock? cheers. somethng that vintage seems a shame to modify! thanks for any help you can offer--ted
Old 02-16-2010, 08:09 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1948 16' Wee Wind
1964 26' Overlander
2007 19' Bambi
crossville , Tennessee
was only a 1200 lb trlr when built. a very close inspection of frame is in order as was built with schedule 5 - 4" pipe ,the x members are pop riveted to the sides of the tube with 16ga aluminum L brackets and the nature of the construction makes the main tube vunerable to rusting out. does it have repairs to tongue? (scabbed angle iron ect) should be clean tube with exception of reinforcement at jack and tank mount.
on the other hand it was the easiest body to r&r i have done. with body off frame 2 guys can go inside stand up and walk around with it :-) even if it's a body off project a wee wind is a very special project. sold mine as couldn't figure out a way to install a bathroom (wifes fundamental requirement) had new frame,windows interior paint ect. and hated to give it up but finacial constraints force me to be able to use the rv we own for teavel/camping and the wee wind is very limited in this area.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:21 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1956 16' Bubble
Dallas , Oregon
thanks for the good info. how long ago did you sell yours and what did you get for it? i know they bring more money than larger ones and bambis even as projects. i want to make sure that i get one (whether a wee wind or bambi) that has a good shell and a good frame. i'm ok with rebuilding the entire interior and furnishing with new appliances--that's the less surprises part. yours looks like it was in good shape--similar to the one i'm considering. best regards--ted
Old 02-18-2010, 07:02 AM   #9
camper collector

1997 30' Limited
1961 16' Bambi
Americus , Georgia
1948 Wee Wind measurements

Hello--

Does anyone have the exterior measurments for the 1948 Wee Wind

Height [no a/c]
width
length

Thanks very much--
Camper
Old 02-18-2010, 07:53 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1948 16' Wee Wind
1964 26' Overlander
2007 19' Bambi
crossville , Tennessee
bought for 500.00 as a junker, bad frame ect. sold 5000.00 with side windows in pieces on the floor,no interior furnishings, new windshields front and rear,new frame ,interior paint,flooring and roof vents.
be aware that the factory frame on wee winds will require bellt off inspection !!!
befor you start building an interior.
the closet on pass side covers the pass side window,portapotty room. sold last summer

Tags