Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2017, 02:19 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Off topic - but dang BigDog is one spectacular looking pooch!!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 05:52 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
I travel solo mostly - my wife prefers to fly down to AZ for 5 weeks and then fly back to the Canadian winters. I've always traveled with at least one Standard Long-Haired Dachshund (we used to breed and show them). My current travel companion is just 2 years old.

Quick potty breaks, I just leave the truck running and slip into the AS. For any longer breaks, I put the Dachsie in the trailer, leaving some windows opened and the Fantastic fan running.

1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 07:29 AM   #23
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Welcome Aboard!!

Our's has always been a PoochStream.....

Our first PWD 'Bo' made us get the Safari so he could relax at the Water Trials and Conformation.

"Fado" just continued the tradition.

We use the AS for comfort stops and our best friend is always in a crate while moving. Never a head out the window or in a closed TV on a warm day, leg stretch every 100mi or as needed.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_d1b.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	225.7 KB
ID:	296859   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_10db.jpeg
Views:	163
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	296861  

Name:	fullsizeoutput_e9d.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	367.4 KB
ID:	296862  
Old 10-15-2017, 08:29 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

Plano , Texas
I hope this picture works. Here is a pic of my mischievous Abby who will soon be my traveling companion causing all this worry about bathroom breaks!!! LOL!! If she only knew. Thanks again for all the responses. I am taking it all in!
Jalayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 08:32 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

Plano , Texas
Oops!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2237.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	251.5 KB
ID:	297097  
Jalayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 09:03 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
She is so pretty, and I bet she has soft ears...

And can cause lots of trouble when she decides to. I know my rescue mutts are good at trouble...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 01:25 PM   #27

2017 16' Sport
huntington beach , California
Hi don't know the answer to your ? just wanted to touch base. I am also a solo woman with a dog I am in the process of selling my mobile home and purchasing an airstream. I will then head across country I have never towed anything so I have a lot to learn.
artjunkie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 05:41 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by artjunkie12 View Post
Hi don't know the answer to your ? just wanted to touch base. I am also a solo woman with a dog I am in the process of selling my mobile home and purchasing an airstream. I will then head across country I have never towed anything so I have a lot to learn.
Look into the Escapees Boot Camp - https://www.escapees.com/education/rvers-boot-camp/
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 09:44 AM   #29
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by artjunkie12 View Post
I travel alone with a cat. Would love to meet as we travel.
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 05:25 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
I am currently in AZ for the WRTR event. There are approx 1000 women here. It's great. Many of us are now headed to the RTR event. Look it up on YouTube, Facebook or cheaprvliving.com for info. Womens Rubber Tramp Rendezvous events. You will see tons of interviews with solo women on the road, people with disabilities etc. Everyday is filled with seminars on solar, tire repairs, safety on the road,boondocking tips etc plus you will connect with women from all over...and theres quite a few Airstreamers! I'm camped with one now��LilNomad
LiLNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 05:25 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
PS. Theres a woman here traveling with her pet pig! Hehe LilNomad
LiLNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 05:38 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I recently saw this at a rest stop on the New York State Thruway.

It's an air conditioned dog house that you can video monitor on your phone and it's automatically sanitized between uses. At 30 cents a minute, it might cost a few dollars for a rest stop.

I think it's an interesting idea, but you have to sign up for it in advance and they send you a card access it. Seems to me they'd be better off letting you do it with any old credit card.

I probobaly wouldn't use one, but it is interesting.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1918.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	265.1 KB
ID:	331283  
Old 01-07-2019, 10:13 AM   #33
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLNomad View Post
PS. Theres a woman here traveling with her pet pig! Hehe LilNomad
I hear they are good pets!
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 04:35 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Tallahassee , Florida
In my experience, there's usually so few souls out in the truck/trailer parking, my dog usually doesn't draw a lot of attention. But she also doesn't bark at people, and I tend to drive in the mornings and evenings. I think if you park in shade when you can and open windows, it's usually not a problem. You can also have two sets of keys and leave the AC running with the doors locked while you go in, if you're in a really hot area or direct sunlight.
Old 06-08-2019, 08:10 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Maybe get a larger trailer right up front. One with a dry bath. Then use the trailer for meals and bathroom breaks and whatever. It is usually cooler in the trailer during the day than in a parked car. We travel with a vent open in hot weather. You can run the fans when you stop. You can put the dog in the trailer, run into Subway and get a sandwich, and then eat together in the trailer in style.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 06:47 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Riverview , Florida
I just went and picked up my 66 Caravel in IL. I live in Florida. I traveled with my dog (Golden) and grandson (5). We used rest stops all the way up. I would turn AC on full blast right before we stopped, we would lock truck run in, and go the come out and take her. we did the same on way back. Once we had to stop at Walmart and get a few things. I set a timer for 30 minutes we cracked the window and kept a check on her.
I am thinking about having remote start added to my truck so I can lock the door and leave it running. I never thought about manually locking door so I will see if that works before spending the money on remote.
LaurieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 07:48 AM   #37
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurieB View Post
I just went and picked up my 66 Caravel in IL. I live in Florida. I traveled with my dog (Golden) and grandson (5). We used rest stops all the way up. I would turn AC on full blast right before we stopped, we would lock truck run in, and go the come out and take her. we did the same on way back. Once we had to stop at Walmart and get a few things. I set a timer for 30 minutes we cracked the window and kept a check on her.
I am thinking about having remote start added to my truck so I can lock the door and leave it running. I never thought about manually locking door so I will see if that works before spending the money on remote.
The advantage of remote start is that if anyone breaks in and tries to drive off without the key the engine will shut down. If you plan on manually locking I would use a steering wheel club and keep the key on a separate key ring, the visibility of the club alone will discourage an attempted theft.
It would not be the first time an Airstream, tow vehicle and dogs have been stolen while left running, I remember at least one instance here on the forum where the people went in to get food they had ordered ahead and their whole rig including dogs was stolen.