Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2014, 12:19 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
long beach , California
who is tallest Airstream Owner???

Im contemplating buying and living in a 27' Airstream.

I'm six feet nine inches tall.

Am I too tall?

Perplexed and 6.9"

Thanks,

Chad
clubchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 12:59 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by clubchad View Post

Am I too tall?

Perplexed and 6.9"

Thanks,

Chad
Hi, maybe or maybe not. But are you six feet nine inches tall, six point nine inches tall, or five feet twenty one inches tall?
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 01:57 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
send a PM to Ian Poulin - he's 7 feet tall.

He stands upright under the skylight.

He chose an International Serenity (also available in Signature & Eddie Bauer trim simply because the overhead cabinets have sliding doors, not head whacking pull up ones.

Paula
Old 09-29-2014, 10:59 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
long beach , California
who is 7 feet tall??

do you have their contact info?

thanks,

chad
Old 09-30-2014, 12:28 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
do you have their contact info?

thanks,

chad
he's a member here, his forum name IS Ian Poulin
send him a PM
Old 09-30-2014, 06:18 AM   #6
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:

Am I too tall?

Perplexed and 6.9"

Thanks,

Chad
It's not just whether someone that tall can stand up in an Airstream, but also, can someone that tall lie down in one without being folded in half?
Old 09-30-2014, 04:31 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
The real issue is can you modify a bed to suit you? Barring that, Can you sleep folded in half? I'm 6'6" and needed to take the arm rest off one end of the front pull out gaucho to get enough length to stretch out comfortably.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 05:51 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
Glad I'm only 6'3"
Al

TAC ON-3
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 11:21 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
long beach , California
I'm new to the forum, and looked and couldn't find him??
any suggestions?
thanks,
chad
Old 10-01-2014, 06:07 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
Airstream Forums - View Profile: IanPoulin

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 07:01 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Some time back I read where I believe it was Timeless that had done a remodel for an NBA player. That included raising the roof for head clearance.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 07:22 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Camas , Washington
At 6'2" I tell myself "remember to duck your head going out the door!!!"
Pams72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 02:29 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2021 25' International
Full timer , Virginia

The beds on the long axis are actually doable. I have the 28' and know it's the same bedroom setup as the 27FB (except it's mirrored and doesn't have the lovely wrap around windows... But it's doable. You wind up sleeping with your feet off the end of the bed and as long as you don't spring out of bed due to a snuffling black bear outside your open window at 6:30AM, you'll not have to worry about breaking and toes on the sharp corners of the hallway. If you are woken up by black bears just outside your open window, my apologies but you WILL break toes as you move.

The real issue for you is going to be the shower, and whether or not you can get used to the sit down shower concept - because you aren't going to stand in that cubical.

Paula is right about the cabinetry. I looked at the internationals alone because the cabinets slide open rather than have head-bonk swing-up hinged doors. I am not partial to the a international Classics; someone suggested the dark interiors wind up feeling like I am living In a coffee can and I think I would have agreed. I think for me, the 28' serenity was the overall nicest choice for the style, space and needs I had when I bought from its original owner.

Interestingly enough, the L-lounge, when pulled out into a bed is more spacious than the long-axis "queen" in the fixed bedroom. I need to find a method though to keep the cushions opening up cracks at night.... That's another topic however.

All this having been said, take a second look at the 23D in the international lines; the bed issue is slightly worse for wear but the baths are NICELY spacious. Also consider the longer of the two sports line (it's a "Sport 22" or "24" - I forget now. The bed is rotated against the bulkhead so it's insane to make but it's the longest mattress of any modern airstream. Also the bathroom/shower occupies the full back wall and may also be the most spacious based on what I've seen.

I am not sure if they're still doing it but call around to your regions KOA campgrounds. A lot of them stocked in airstream 25FB and 27FB units as their permanent placed guest units. They were a great way for me to see how I would do in an Airstream and a nice way to see KOas as well. Ultimately, I chose only one of the two but happy as a clam.

Finally, if you have height issues with tow vehicles, I finally settled on a standard cab F150 ecoboost over the Toyota Tundra; which were the ONLY two I could fit into. I really wish Dodge and Chevy hadn't started adding stuff like speakers in the headliners, dropping the ceilings two to three inches to do so.

Ian

2011 Airstream International Serenity 28' - 30a/taupe
2013 Fors F150 v6-ecoboost with max tow and HD payload packages
IanPoulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:12 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Ian, don't forget there IS an outside shower on your unit. Good only when boondocking or showering in your swim trunks, or visiting a nudist campground (believe it or not, there is one in N.E. Ohio of all places).

And If you'd gotten the Eddie Bauer you could have gotten a child's plastic pool, folded up the dinette and side couch, then taken a bubble bath in the pool and dumped it out the rear hatch (Or siphoned it down the shower if camped near civilization.) Ah bath oil, what a wonderful thing on the skin.

Don't tell anyone OK, lets let that be our little secret.

Paula
Old 10-02-2014, 08:52 PM   #15
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
When I saw the title to this thread, I thought "probably the people with the Skydeck motor homes".
Then I actually read the thread...
Old 10-02-2014, 09:38 PM   #16
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pams72 View Post
At 6'2" I tell myself "remember to duck your head going out the door!!!"

I've never hit my head going out, but I've compressed the stew out of my spine going in...

-Red
Old 10-02-2014, 10:20 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
long beach , California
HI Ian,

Thanks for the suggestions.

Are you really 7' tall?

I won't have to worry about being the tallest Airstream Owner at 6.9"??

Hip-hip hoo-ray.

Chad
Old 10-03-2014, 07:45 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2021 25' International
Full timer , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
And If you'd gotten the Eddie Bauer you could have gotten a child's plastic pool, folded up the dinette and side couch, then taken a bubble bath in the pool and dumped it out the rear hatch (Or siphoned it down the shower if camped near civilization.) Ah bath oil, what a wonderful thing on the skin.

Paula

Ok... 20 pomegranate Cosmo coupons to the first person who can genuinely capture and post a picture in the "seen on the road" thread an image on an EB, hatch wide open with folks hooplaing it in a kiddie pool at 55 mph....

Old 10-03-2014, 07:57 AM   #19
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
For 20 Pomegranate Cosmo Coupons, I'll be the guy in the photo...

-Red, doing anything for coupons
Old 10-03-2014, 08:27 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2021 25' International
Full timer , Virginia

Chad -

You brought up a question in email and a topic; both which ought be here - for posterity and because I think you need a lot more feedback than just I.

The feedback from I: no, I did not swap out the bed (yet), I do have a three inch foam memory mattress topper from Costco I cut down with some shears that does the trick for me. Once I start considering longer than single week travels, I am of the mind to find a RV Queen thermarest or sleep number mattress.

The feedback I think a whole host of others need to chime in on - especially Paula. Are you really certain you want to make the jump head first into full time live-work camping in an airstream? I dont know what research you've done to date, but will ask what geographical scope your job brings you to? Others will not agree with me, but I see my airstream as a valid three season house only - I WILL camp in the winter, but half the systems will be shut down unless I found myself in a stationary place enough to insulate, work off a large propane tank,etc. Check out the thread someone posted a year or two ago in sub-forum winter camping about their winter over on the south rim of the Grand Canyon. If your work brings you anywhere in the northern states or Canada, and keeps you from settling in, I would suggest you consider an Arctic Fox or similar rig before an airstream.

Also, if you haven't work-lived yet in an RV, you may want to consider your first two or three years in a "some other box" trailer so if/when you decide it really wasn't what you sought, you're out 4-6k of depreciation rather than 40-50k worth; and the airstream you want now will be available to you used with that depreciation cost savings realized.

Oh, and there's another fellow from California on the forums who may have us both beat height wise. Catallguy or such forum name? I don't know for sure, I've never asked.

Ian