Old 10-02-2014, 09:52 PM   #15
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
When I saw the title to this thread, I thought "probably the people with the Skydeck motor homes".
Then I actually read the thread...

Old 10-02-2014, 10:38 PM   #16
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pams72 View Post
At 6'2" I tell myself "remember to duck your head going out the door!!!"

I've never hit my head going out, but I've compressed the stew out of my spine going in...

-Red

Old 10-02-2014, 11:20 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
long beach , California
HI Ian,

Thanks for the suggestions.

Are you really 7' tall?

I won't have to worry about being the tallest Airstream Owner at 6.9"??

Hip-hip hoo-ray.

Chad
Old 10-03-2014, 08:45 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Aldie , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
And If you'd gotten the Eddie Bauer you could have gotten a child's plastic pool, folded up the dinette and side couch, then taken a bubble bath in the pool and dumped it out the rear hatch (Or siphoned it down the shower if camped near civilization.) Ah bath oil, what a wonderful thing on the skin.

Paula

Ok... 20 pomegranate Cosmo coupons to the first person who can genuinely capture and post a picture in the "seen on the road" thread an image on an EB, hatch wide open with folks hooplaing it in a kiddie pool at 55 mph....

2011 Airstream International Serenity 28' - 30a/taupe
2013 Fors F150 v6-ecoboost with max tow and HD payload packages
Old 10-03-2014, 08:57 AM   #19
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
For 20 Pomegranate Cosmo Coupons, I'll be the guy in the photo...

-Red, doing anything for coupons
Old 10-03-2014, 09:27 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Aldie , Virginia
who is tallest Airstream Owner???

Chad -

You brought up a question in email and a topic; both which ought be here - for posterity and because I think you need a lot more feedback than just I.

The feedback from I: no, I did not swap out the bed (yet), I do have a three inch foam memory mattress topper from Costco I cut down with some shears that does the trick for me. Once I start considering longer than single week travels, I am of the mind to find a RV Queen thermarest or sleep number mattress.

The feedback I think a whole host of others need to chime in on - especially Paula. Are you really certain you want to make the jump head first into full time live-work camping in an airstream? I dont know what research you've done to date, but will ask what geographical scope your job brings you to? Others will not agree with me, but I see my airstream as a valid three season house only - I WILL camp in the winter, but half the systems will be shut down unless I found myself in a stationary place enough to insulate, work off a large propane tank,etc. Check out the thread someone posted a year or two ago in sub-forum winter camping about their winter over on the south rim of the Grand Canyon. If your work brings you anywhere in the northern states or Canada, and keeps you from settling in, I would suggest you consider an Arctic Fox or similar rig before an airstream.

Also, if you haven't work-lived yet in an RV, you may want to consider your first two or three years in a "some other box" trailer so if/when you decide it really wasn't what you sought, you're out 4-6k of depreciation rather than 40-50k worth; and the airstream you want now will be available to you used with that depreciation cost savings realized.

Oh, and there's another fellow from California on the forums who may have us both beat height wise. Catallguy or such forum name? I don't know for sure, I've never asked.

Ian

2011 Airstream International Serenity 28' - 30a/taupe
2013 Fors F150 v6-ecoboost with max tow and HD payload packages
Old 10-03-2014, 05:27 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Ian, you really hit the pithy center of the issue with Airstreams as full time abodes. There are far better ways to START. I always wanted to be a Blue Angel... until I went to an amusement park and puked after riding the spinning teacups... and the roller coaster ... and the (never mind)! A lot less commitment than six years in the Air Force.

The object is to arrive at the Airstream once you've established that the lifestyle agrees with you. Of course I got mine because I fell in love with Aunt Jean's "silver suppository". I still start smiling as soon as I've got the weight bars tightened up and am doing the last walk around before towing away.

Airstreams have a certain cachet that SOB's don't. But unless you're really ABLE to p*** away $50K and never miss it, try something else even for six months. Get a bumper sticker that says "My NEXT RV will be an Airstream" an go for it.

Paula

PS the lottery is up to $80 million - buy a ticket, win, and then all bets are off.