Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2014, 10:35 AM   #1
Stature: Costanzaesque

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
San Antonio , USA
Truly a newbie

Hola my new internet friends!

Ok, so I'm a travel nurse, and I'm turning 50 this year, so its time to quit living the motel nightmare and start living the dream! I've always wanted to solo in an Airstream, and I've got my heart set on a 22 or a 23, but have to wait until my lease runs out in November to pull any triggers.

So, I'll be lurking until then, soaking up what so far has been a lot of great info.

See you on the road (soon),

Matthew
ratfarker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:08 AM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. Hang around here and look at a few Airstreams. By November, you'll have all the information that you will need to make an informed decision.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:30 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratfarker View Post
Hola my new internet friends!

Ok, so I'm a travel nurse, and I'm turning 50 this year, so its time to quit living the motel nightmare and start living the dream! I've always wanted to solo in an Airstream, and I've got my heart set on a 22 or a 23, but have to wait until my lease runs out in November to pull any triggers.

So, I'll be lurking until then, soaking up what so far has been a lot of great info.

See you on the road (soon),

Matthew
Welcome to the forum, Matthew. You've given yourself an appropriate amount of lead time to do some really good research and make an informed purchase. You'll get tons of advice here - sometimes more than you asked for - and sometimes it will provoke a firestorm of controversy, but we all truly wish you well and are always glad to find another convert.

A standard joke about the right size Airstream is "you always want a bigger one when you are parked and a smaller one when you're towing" Then you get into the tow vehicle wars... OMG. The good news is that for a 22 or 23 there are a LOT of good choices. I'm sissy enough that I want to have a lot more tow vehicle than I need, not for towing capacity, but for BRAKING capacity. Even so, I recently got a 2012 Eddie Bauer - and I paired it with a new Ford F-150 Ecoboost. My former tow beast had been a Silverado 2500 diesel. Today I was reading the thread on the "Dura-Burb" a diesel conversion for the Chevy Suburban and OOOOOH temptation! The perfect vehicle and only a modest $54K. Yeah, gotta buy a lottery ticket. If you are driving a VW... or other subcompact... you're going to need to get a tow vehicle. BTW - click on the "Classifieds" tab - you'll find a few package deals that include the tow vehicle and the Airstream.

My best advice is SEE a lot of Airstreams before you buy. I don't know what your locality is - but check the Airstream.com website for dealers in your area, then look here on the forums for rallies (not too many this time of year except in the deep south). If the rally listed is a Forum rally, they generally welcome visitors, WBCCI rallies - some are open, others closed. On either, contact the organizer. A third place to see a lot of Airstreams is any Airstream Only RV park. Just do a Google search for them.

Sounds like you are planning to buy new, but you might also consider gently used. Quite a few people move up in size because they have children or dogs or just like to invite friends along, or sometimes because "space" can be vital when there is a marital disagreement and a 25' is about as small as you can go and have separation.

You'll love sleeping in your own bed every night.

Paula
Old 03-08-2014, 11:40 AM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
You are correct, Paula. We have found that if you have your own bed, your own toilet, and your own refrigerator, all is right with the world.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 01:23 PM   #5

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
San Antonio , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
You are correct, Paula. We have found that if you have your own bed, your own toilet, and your own refrigerator, all is right with the world.

Brian
Thanks Moose and Paula. Ok, so my problem with big trucks is that most of the hospital parking garages are tight fitting. I've been doing a little research on the Jeep GC. I used to have one and was very comfy in the drivers seat. For now, I'll be using it on the highways, and won't hit the biways for another 5 years or so.

Thoughts on the Jeep appreciated. I keep finding that gently used AS in the classifieds here and there, but they keep slipping by. I'm sure I'll find the right one when the time comes!
Old 03-08-2014, 02:00 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I'm generally not thrilled with Jeeps - That's just me. (This advice is worth what you paid for it!) They seem to have a lot of breakdowns, and the fuel usage is high.

I had one 2 WD tow vehicle. NEVER AGAIN. I rarely need 4 WD, but this winter my F150 proved invaluable when we had 4, count 'em 4 snowstorms! Just doesn't happen in coastal VA!

Lots of people love Tundras and Titans as tow vehicles. Some people say SUV stands for Stupid Useless Vehicle. Of course you could certainly consider a Suburban or it's shorter cousin the Tahoe. The towing world is not strictly limited to trucks.

I do know what you're talking about with parking garages... they get claustrophobic for anything bigger than a Smart Car.

Paula
Old 03-10-2014, 06:28 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
2014 30' Flying Cloud
Los alamos , New Mexico
The advantage of new, is the two year warranty--so if you get out and use it, those first two years can "test drive" most of your components. I recently bought a new 30ft, my main concern is leaks, not the appliances--seems to be the lasted issues, so moisture gun would be invaluable. Also, install tire pressure monitors ASAP. Last but not least--join the WBCCI, and attend as many Rally's and week end get togethers. See you down the road. WBCCI #3700.
Luigi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:30 PM   #8
flygrrl

1962 19' Globetrotter
Winchester , Ontario
Welcome, lurk to your hearts content. I have a 2007 Jeep GC diesel with the Mercedes 3L CRD and love it. She loves the highway and has tons of oomph. Gasoline fueled Jeeps do quaff the fuel however, which is why I bought a diesel (that and the fact that you can make diesel yourself or do a vege oil conversion).
Leonie
flygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 07:39 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Ouray , Colorado
I have to 2nd Paula's thoughts on size and tow vehicle. Personally, we went a little overboard and purchased a new Ram 3500 4 wheel drive, when our 2000 Toyota Tacoma was starting cost us in repairs. Overkill- yes. Yet the 4 wheel drive has saved our bacon in the mountains- and even when driving on the beach (NC Beach's).

My wife is a RN, soon to be traveling nurse, and I am a consultant. The AS life isn't for everyone, but sure is for us. Lurk the forums, and goto a rally. It's a great way to learn what size, layout, price point, you want to get into. Everynow and then I get antsy and wish I had a 34', as we are fulltiming with 2 dogs and a baby due in 5 months. However our 28' has fit into spots at State and National parks where I would have been to scared to navigate the extra 6 feet. Yet that PanAmerica still keeps tempting me
jasperkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:50 PM   #10

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
San Antonio , USA
Well, today I pulled the trigger on a sign and drive Ford F150 with the heavy duty towing package and the Ecoboost. The dealer had one hooked up to the dealership cargo thingy and he let me test drive it. I have to say I was amazed, and am the proud owner of a beast.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:26 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2021 25' International
Full timer , Virginia
Matthew --

Welcome to the groups! I was in your shoes not very long ago; delurking with intent to look around and find my perfect airstream.

Last July I traded in my '09 Cooper Clubman JCW for a 2013 F150 Ecoboost +maxtow +maxcargo and loved it. If I waited, the new F150s carry better gas economy, and include a high capacity cargo/tow short-bed 4x4 version as well.

Paula is correct -- start watching the airforums classified and ebay now to get an idea of what you could expect to pay for a slightly used travel trailer. I was ready to factory order new and stumbled across, with Paula's help, just the one for me - nearly pristine, less than 20 days camping, some systems unused and at about 60% original list. I could probably have bartered down, but am happy with the final arrangements.

My airstream is a 28' international -- and the F150 ecoboost tows it a dream so far. I am going to be testing it out on skyline drive in the not so distant future; but initial hills, etc., all show no issues at all.
IanPoulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:08 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
1979 31' Sovereign
1999 25' Safari
Youngsville , North Carolina
Mathew,
Welcome! Don't worry about height in parking garages too much. Most have a 7' minimum height, I drive a F-250 and fit into a 7' garage. If overhead is less it is usually posted at the entrance...just look for a beat up sign at entrance . Measure height of whatever truck you get. Don't try to get TT in a parking deck, My Excella 29 is 10' 6" to the top of the A/C.

Steve
heslinhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 08:05 AM   #13

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
San Antonio , USA
Hopefully mine!!!

Well, I put some $$$ down yesterday (late) on a brand new Flying Cloud 25FB. We'll see if the bank comes back with anything remotely reasonable for an interest rate. Now, I need to peruse the forums for insurance. USAA sent me to Progressive, but I've not had warm tingles about Progressive in the past. I'll have to have the AS stored for a few months until my lease runs out, but I'm like a little schoolgirl right now in anticipation. That, of course, was a metaphor!!!
Old 05-24-2014, 02:55 PM   #14

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
If you choose to shop around for insurance because you're not excited about Progressive, "Farm and City" insures a lot of Airstreams. They are sponsors of the WBCCI and may have some sort of marketing deal with Airstream Inc. as well.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 03:32 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Mobile , Alabama
Congrats on your new airstream!!! Now your comforts of home can travel with you.
BassCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 03:45 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Wow, you moved fast but made excellent choices! Congrats.
Old 05-25-2014, 08:14 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Fairchild AFB , Washington
Congrats on the new AS. Are you in the SA area? I am PCS'ing there in mid to late Jul.
mbnroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 04:35 PM   #18

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
San Antonio , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbnroberts View Post
Congrats on the new AS. Are you in the SA area? I am PCS'ing there in mid to late Jul.
I'm going to be going 80% in the Airstream, so I'm not going to keep an apartment anymore in SA, I'll just park it in Spring Branch when I visit. There is a nice campground there on the river.

It's been my home for the last 35 years though, so it'd be nice to meet up if ya'all are so inclined and I'm near town!!!

I'm storing it for now (until August when the lease on the APT is up).
Old 05-31-2014, 10:51 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Hi fellow traveler (rad tech, not RN). I'm in the same place you were a few months ago. Been looking at airstream and browsing the forums. I've had my eye on the fc23 FB. I like the 25' too but currently driving a tacoma and the 25 would be at my limits dry and empty. (Bigger TV is not out of the question, but I really love my taco) Any poo have you gotten out in the airstream yet? How's the room in there? Would you upsize/ downsize given the chance to do it again? I'm looking to buy in the next few months. Any insights greatly appreciated -cheers!
eagle5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 05:18 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2013 23' FB Flying Cloud
Jericho , Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle5 View Post
I've had my eye on the fc23 FB. I like the 25' too but currently driving a tacoma and the 25 would be at my limits dry and empty. (Bigger TV is not out of the question, but I really love my taco)
We were in the same boat, had a Tacoma and bought a 23FB. I'm really glad we upgraded to a Tundra before picking it up. The Taco might have been doable, but the Tundra made it a breeze. And as much as I loved the Taco, the Tundra is way better.
VTSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote