Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2014, 06:24 AM   #21
Stature: Costanzaesque

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
San Antonio , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle5 View Post
Hi fellow traveler (rad tech, not RN). I'm in the same place you were a few months ago. Been looking at airstream and browsing the forums. I've had my eye on the fc23 FB. I like the 25' too but currently driving a tacoma and the 25 would be at my limits dry and empty. (Bigger TV is not out of the question, but I really love my taco) Any poo have you gotten out in the airstream yet? How's the room in there? Would you upsize/ downsize given the chance to do it again? I'm looking to buy in the next few months. Any insights greatly appreciated -cheers!
Hi eagle! Ok, I went to 3 dealers on my way home from my last assignment in South Carolina, with every intention of buying a 23d. Every time I got in one I loved it even more, until I got to Buda, Texas, and decided to have a serious look at the 25FB. My tunes changed, and I fell in love with the 25 (but I still really really really like the 23). I'm almost sure that the Taco will be pushing its limits with the 23, and I know you'll love it!

I had a skeptical friend ask if I was crazy for spending this much, and they were surprised when I showed them the lower end models vs. the Airstream. He now understands that a 'home' should be solidly built, and shouldn't shake, and you shouldn't be able to stick your thumb on a wall and watch it give into the pressure. That, and it looks cool!

This forum is an invaluable resource I'm finding!
ratfarker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:35 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Truly a newbie

You are really already past the limit of a standard taco even with a 23'. While the taco can tow the weight it may not have the payload capacity for the tongue weight, people and cargo. On the other hand if it has a payload of 1540 as some do you could go with either length. You have to add about 100 lbs to the tongue weight figures Airstream publishes for LP in the tanks.
Old 06-01-2014, 04:50 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Thanks maybe I will go back and have a look at the bigger trailers. I got another month left on this contract, so maybe I'll save up and get a new truck and trailer on my way home. Definitely don't want to purchase another vehicle here in California, that was a nightmare!
eagle5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 04:53 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

And it's funny people that drive tacomas say it handles 5-6k trailers no problem. It's people that don't drive them that say they can't... But Like I said upsizing definitely not out of the picture.
eagle5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 06:30 PM   #25

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
San Antonio , USA
Took final delivery today! Thanks Alan for a great walkthru.

Old 06-07-2014, 07:50 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Mobile , Alabama
How did your first towing go? We are picking up our 2014 Eddie Bauer next week. Hoping we can hitch and unhitch without any issues.
BassCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 08:22 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Jacksonville , Florida
Congrats!!!!!
CampingDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 08:30 PM   #28

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
San Antonio , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassCan View Post
How did your first towing go? We are picking up our 2014 Eddie Bauer next week. Hoping we can hitch and unhitch without any issues.
Well, hitching and unhitching are no problem b/c I bought the F150 with the hitch camera, and I'm soloing so that was important. I can't tell how it did on the HWY because I'm forced to store it for 2 months until my contract in North Austin ends and I can actually park it in a RV Park.

I can tell you though, after trailering so much crap for the Army in every imaginable vehicle, this is gonna be a no-brainer.

I'll wait for your report next week! Good luck!!!
Old 06-07-2014, 08:50 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Minneapolis , Minnesota
Congrats! Hope to see you on the road. My husband and I are planning to go full time this fall, supported by my OT travel jobs. We had our heart set on a 27' however a 2012 30' International fell into our laps and we picked it up a month ago.

We checked out USAA/Progressive as well but went with National General which has great coverage for full-timers. We tow with a F150 max tow eco-boost as well. No issues on our 1400 mile trip to and from Alumapalooza last week.

Any recommendations on reliable travel medical companies? I haven't done it before! Also, I have not driven into the parking ramp at the hospital since we got our truck.
wanderwasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 09:30 PM   #30

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
San Antonio , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderwasi View Post
Congrats! Hope to see you on the road. My husband and I are planning to go full time this fall, supported by my OT travel jobs. We had our heart set on a 27' however a 2012 30' International fell into our laps and we picked it up a month ago.

We checked out USAA/Progressive as well but went with National General which has great coverage for full-timers. We tow with a F150 max tow eco-boost as well. No issues on our 1400 mile trip to and from Alumapalooza last week.

Any recommendations on reliable travel medical companies? I haven't done it before! Also, I have not driven into the parking ramp at the hospital since we got our truck.
Cool story! I've learned that backing into spaces is sooooo much easier to do, so that's what I always do now, or I find the farthest space and walk to where ever I need to go. Not like I don't need the exercise!!!

I've only been with two travel companies in all my years, and my favorite is CrossCountry Trav Corp. They really do have exotic assignments, as well as travel trailer assignments. I mean, I wouldn't expect that you'd do downtown Manhattan in an Airstream, but that's why I like the 13 week assignments. I stayed on the beach in Charleston, SC for 6 months, and I wish I'd had my Airstream. That would've been a blast.

Anyway, if you choose Cross Country, put me down as a referral and I'll throw a gift card in the mail to ya with my referral bonus! (Matthew Riceberg).

Good luck, keep in touch!