Old 05-24-2014, 04:32 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Mobile , Alabama
Congrats on your new airstream!!! Now your comforts of home can travel with you.

Old 05-24-2014, 04:45 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Wow, you moved fast but made excellent choices! Congrats.

Old 05-25-2014, 09:14 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Fairchild AFB , Washington
Congrats on the new AS. Are you in the SA area? I am PCS'ing there in mid to late Jul.
Old 05-30-2014, 05:35 PM   #18
Stature: Costanzaesque

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
San Antonio , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbnroberts View Post
Congrats on the new AS. Are you in the SA area? I am PCS'ing there in mid to late Jul.
I'm going to be going 80% in the Airstream, so I'm not going to keep an apartment anymore in SA, I'll just park it in Spring Branch when I visit. There is a nice campground there on the river.

It's been my home for the last 35 years though, so it'd be nice to meet up if ya'all are so inclined and I'm near town!!!

I'm storing it for now (until August when the lease on the APT is up).
Old 05-31-2014, 11:51 PM   #19

Hi fellow traveler (rad tech, not RN). I'm in the same place you were a few months ago. Been looking at airstream and browsing the forums. I've had my eye on the fc23 FB. I like the 25' too but currently driving a tacoma and the 25 would be at my limits dry and empty. (Bigger TV is not out of the question, but I really love my taco) Any poo have you gotten out in the airstream yet? How's the room in there? Would you upsize/ downsize given the chance to do it again? I'm looking to buy in the next few months. Any insights greatly appreciated -cheers!
Old 06-01-2014, 06:18 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2013 23' FB Flying Cloud
Jericho , Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle5 View Post
I've had my eye on the fc23 FB. I like the 25' too but currently driving a tacoma and the 25 would be at my limits dry and empty. (Bigger TV is not out of the question, but I really love my taco)
We were in the same boat, had a Tacoma and bought a 23FB. I'm really glad we upgraded to a Tundra before picking it up. The Taco might have been doable, but the Tundra made it a breeze. And as much as I loved the Taco, the Tundra is way better.
VTSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 07:24 AM   #21

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
San Antonio , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle5 View Post
Hi fellow traveler (rad tech, not RN). I'm in the same place you were a few months ago. Been looking at airstream and browsing the forums. I've had my eye on the fc23 FB. I like the 25' too but currently driving a tacoma and the 25 would be at my limits dry and empty. (Bigger TV is not out of the question, but I really love my taco) Any poo have you gotten out in the airstream yet? How's the room in there? Would you upsize/ downsize given the chance to do it again? I'm looking to buy in the next few months. Any insights greatly appreciated -cheers!
Hi eagle! Ok, I went to 3 dealers on my way home from my last assignment in South Carolina, with every intention of buying a 23d. Every time I got in one I loved it even more, until I got to Buda, Texas, and decided to have a serious look at the 25FB. My tunes changed, and I fell in love with the 25 (but I still really really really like the 23). I'm almost sure that the Taco will be pushing its limits with the 23, and I know you'll love it!

I had a skeptical friend ask if I was crazy for spending this much, and they were surprised when I showed them the lower end models vs. the Airstream. He now understands that a 'home' should be solidly built, and shouldn't shake, and you shouldn't be able to stick your thumb on a wall and watch it give into the pressure. That, and it looks cool!

This forum is an invaluable resource I'm finding!
Old 06-01-2014, 11:35 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Truly a newbie

You are really already past the limit of a standard taco even with a 23'. While the taco can tow the weight it may not have the payload capacity for the tongue weight, people and cargo. On the other hand if it has a payload of 1540 as some do you could go with either length. You have to add about 100 lbs to the tongue weight figures Airstream publishes for LP in the tanks.
Old 06-01-2014, 05:50 PM   #23

Thanks maybe I will go back and have a look at the bigger trailers. I got another month left on this contract, so maybe I'll save up and get a new truck and trailer on my way home. Definitely don't want to purchase another vehicle here in California, that was a nightmare!
Old 06-01-2014, 05:53 PM   #24

And it's funny people that drive tacomas say it handles 5-6k trailers no problem. It's people that don't drive them that say they can't... But Like I said upsizing definitely not out of the picture.
Old 06-07-2014, 07:30 PM   #25

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
San Antonio , USA
Took final delivery today! Thanks Alan for a great walkthru.

Old 06-07-2014, 08:50 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Mobile , Alabama
How did your first towing go? We are picking up our 2014 Eddie Bauer next week. Hoping we can hitch and unhitch without any issues.
Old 06-07-2014, 09:22 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Jacksonville , Florida
Congrats!!!!!
Old 06-07-2014, 09:30 PM   #28

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
San Antonio , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassCan View Post
How did your first towing go? We are picking up our 2014 Eddie Bauer next week. Hoping we can hitch and unhitch without any issues.
Well, hitching and unhitching are no problem b/c I bought the F150 with the hitch camera, and I'm soloing so that was important. I can't tell how it did on the HWY because I'm forced to store it for 2 months until my contract in North Austin ends and I can actually park it in a RV Park.

I can tell you though, after trailering so much crap for the Army in every imaginable vehicle, this is gonna be a no-brainer.

I'll wait for your report next week! Good luck!!!