Old 04-02-2015, 08:18 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Loma Linda , California
Some who own travel trailers say those who own motor homes regret their purchases.

I hear the upkeep is higher on motorhomes; that the motorhome life is short; and I will have to trade in for a better/newer one in a few years to stay mobile.

I need to hear the truth from the motorhome owners.

I won't be finances anything to start out.

Once out there, I will travel freely for awhile. Then I will be substitute teach one day per week, travel 6 days occasionally. Workamp 6 days occasionally. But I will always work one day per week after some initial travelling. However, I can travel all summer. No school.

I imagine as time goes by I will travel a little less and work camp a little more for the fun of it. I'll just have to get out and there and see.

My brother is planning to be with me at least part time.

I love the thought of having a Class B or C, but not if it's going to be a real pain in my rear to maintain.

I really need to hear from the motorhome owners please.

Thank you to Lily&Me for her comments. Much appreciated.

Old 04-02-2015, 08:37 PM   #30
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
North West PA , Pennsylvania
Have you measured out a spot in your current home, say 23 feet by 8 feet ( the size of a 25 foot Airstream)? Try it, and see it you could live full time in that space. Be honest.

Measure it tonight and see what you think.....

Good Luck...I had the same idea as you til I did a LOT of reading on this forum and others ( try Forest River-owned by Thor, who makes Airstream trailers) and now.....forget it.

I know people do it, and I support them. I do NOT mean to denigrate thier decision. I have wanted an Airstream forever, but I am beginning to realize that what I want is the THOUGHT and IDEAL of owning one, but from what I've read for the last five years, I've decided not for me.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:06 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2008 27' International FB
1999 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Marietta , Georgia
I suggest you rent a class B for a week or 2 before you buy. That way, you'll get a good sense of the space inside. I had an Airstream B190 ( a class B that is no longer made) and I know I could not live in it for any extended time. I could in our 27 ft travel trailer no problem.

Renting one would give you a chance to hook and unhook sewer and water hoses, caps and see how that goes. Not sure if you have grip issues or not. I don't have much hand strength and sometimes that was difficult for me if they were stuck.
Old 04-03-2015, 12:08 AM   #32
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Marietta , Georgia
I find myself projecting rather than truly understanding a solo woman's perspective and desires. I would take your brother's comments as gold if you truly think he knows you and your limitations.

Some of the fantastic women I've met on the road include Lily&Me and Msmoto who routinely appear at Airforum rallys and can better address the solo traveling questions than I. However, I stumbled into a Glamping rally two years ago where 40+ solo women camped together for a Christmas celebration. Almost all of them had small units which they had rebuilt themselves or class-b "homes". Their skills and can-do attitude exceeded most of the males who pride themselves on all things DIY. Take heart, there are sisters on the road who share a similar vision.

I, too, suggest visiting a rally near you as soon as possible and introducing yourself. Most will talk your ear off, opinions and experiences are shared freely, and you can find out a lot in a short time. Plus, you can experience the camaraderie shared amongst Airstream owners.

My discussions with large motor home unit owners (A & C) reveal a higher maintenance load in terms of cost and time, but much less for the smaller Bs. Whenever you add an engine and transmission to the works the owners seem to forget a tow vehicle requires much the same. The TV costs get overlooked because it is separate in their mind. Only you can decide if the size and type matches your lifestyle.

Longer term, you would most likely want to change from a combo unit to a trailer if you decide to stay put for an extended period or transition into permanent housing.
Old 04-03-2015, 05:08 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I agree that renting is an excellent idea.

Small isn't for everyone.....others love it.

Maggie
Old 04-04-2015, 09:33 PM   #34
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Loma Linda , California
My brother and I both appreciate your comments. We are discussing all possibilities including renting, etc. Thank you for all these wonderful suggestions.

I have continued to downsize over the last four years. I embrace the thought of living economically and freely...without house payments or long term rental agreements.

I've gone from a large brick home to a small two-bedroom mobile home, and doing just fine.

When the travelling fever subsides, I can always get a travel trailer. However, I must always be mindful of my physical limitations. I fell two years ago that left me with a very weak right hand. I am right handed. And I had surgery yesterday to correct a weak right shoulder/upper arm. But I'm 61 years old. So I don't know whether my arm will ever be as good as new. I must respect this.

I have learned that I can't have everything. I must make sacrifices. What are the sacrifices I can live with in RV? This is what you guys are helping me figure out.

Thank you so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMore View Post
I find myself projecting rather than truly understanding a solo woman's perspective and desires. I would take your brother's comments as gold if you truly think he knows you and your limitations.

Some of the fantastic women I've met on the road include Lily&Me and Msmoto who routinely appear at Airforum rallys and can better address the solo traveling questions than I. However, I stumbled into a Glamping rally two years ago where 40+ solo women camped together for a Christmas celebration. Almost all of them had small units which they had rebuilt themselves or class-b "homes". Their skills and can-do attitude exceeded most of the males who pride themselves on all things DIY. Take heart, there are sisters on the road who share a similar vision.

I, too, suggest visiting a rally near you as soon as possible and introducing yourself. Most will talk your ear off, opinions and experiences are shared freely, and you can find out a lot in a short time. Plus, you can experience the camaraderie shared amongst Airstream owners.

My discussions with large motor home unit owners (A & C) reveal a higher maintenance load in terms of cost and time, but much less for the smaller Bs. Whenever you add an engine and transmission to the works the owners seem to forget a tow vehicle requires much the same. The TV costs get overlooked because it is separate in their mind. Only you can decide if the size and type matches your lifestyle.

Longer term, you would most likely want to change from a combo unit to a trailer if you decide to stay put for an extended period or transition into permanent housing.