Old 03-28-2015, 02:15 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
I've never been there, but I've heard Slab City is more or less free.

Old 03-28-2015, 02:49 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
I've never been there, but I've heard Slab City is more or less free.
My last visit the cops were raiding meth labs almost nightly. It has changed and not for the good since my first visit.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 02:52 PM   #17
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
I travel solo a lot, 20K and 160 nights. I never feel scared or lonely. I love the adventure. I just take precautions and always visually have an exit plan. sbb
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 12:31 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Dear Deb... Airstream Interstates are AWESOME. But at that price, get a small used A-Liner, and tow it with your current vehicle for six months first. Oh and get a tarp too.

Buy an Interstate and your "worst case scenario" is that backing out and getting something else is a no-go. I may be wrong but most owners don't plan to sell until their relatives (or surviving kin) are legally responsible for that choice. I've never actually looked at the used market, but anything with a motor is more expensive than a trailer to keep in usable shape. Do read threads from Protagonist and Lily & Me - both happy owners. Ask them if they'd ever try to full-time except in an emergency evacuation.

Your objections to a trailer vs a B-van or B+
are somewhat valid, but you have to go outside to hook up the water line, sewer line and power and to unhook them when you leave. Really if a campground gives you the willies you'll almost surely get them as you drive up the road or look through the gate. Just tell the person at the gate "I made a wrong turn and just need to turn around and head back to town."

With a B or B+ You can't leave to buy groceries without taking the whole rig with you (or carry a bike, motorized bike or scooter) - and if you want to visit quaint old neighborhoods in St. Augustine or even see most of the plantations along the James River here in Virginia - Girl, you're gonna wish you had something as compact as a big pickup truck! Been there, done that, couldn't park and buy the T-shirt.

Creepy Campgrounds: Most people in most campgrounds ARE a lot like the people you've met on this forum. 90% gold, 10% nuts, but nuts like Cashews... sweet & salty and deeeeelishus!

There are lots of resources like Woodalls, and several good phone apps that can give you a good preview of campgrounds along your route. With a bit of planning you can always find a very safe haven. The big national truck stops like Loves are also very safe! Of course if you've got a trip planned you can always ask here for favorite routes and favorite spots - I do. I didn't used to do all the advance planning - in 9 years I've pulled out of 2 campgrounds when the initial look and sniff gave me the "I hear banjos - Deliverance" moment. Now, I pre-plan but almost never reserve a spot... every day I choose three possible destinations, one if I get frustrated due to bad traffic, or the wreck that has me stopped for two hours offering restroom service to pregnant ladies and old people, the second one is where I really plan to stay, and the third option is good if I have a fantastic day with almost zero traffic, great weather, excellent roads and and only 5 traffic lights that all turn green for me. (Got #3 once). I did park in a church parking lot one Wednesday afternoon - and got invited to a service. Every participant had a rattlesnake in a basket. Ah dumped my teapot in the sink and disappeared faster than a faht in a whirlwind!

800 Lb Gorilla with a Moho:
The big downside to any flavor of moho IMHO is a major mechanical problem. Many garages won't touch an RV. Your RV waits at an RV or truck repair shop that never has parts in stock. Where do you stay for one to three weeks?

If my newish F-150 caught fire and burned to a puddle of molten metal, I could replace it in a day at a nearby dealer with either a new or used vehicle, especially if I didn't reject a Tundra or Dodge or GMC out of hand (it may be heresy but there are a lot of good tow vehicles out there.) Yes, I'd have to get the dealer financing and pay off a big chunk with the insurance check a month later. But I know my credit score and I'm not afraid to use it.
Go to a rally - or even visit a big RV park on a big holiday (Easter comes to mind) and just walk around chatting with owners of everything you even think you could afford... ask them about all the issues that led them to choose what they own... and if they bought a new one would they switch brand or type? Be ready to offer a Kleenex for the drool before you ask, "What about Airstream?" or "Have you heard of an Oliver?" (The devil made me say that. I saw one in person Friday.) THOR wake up and smell the coffee!

Sincerely, Paula
Old 03-30-2015, 07:17 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Crescent , Oklahoma
If you buy a trailer of any brand, you can't tow it with a Camry. You will have to upgrade your vehicle.

TAC OK-5
lahrfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:08 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
For Class B living full time, check out the roadtrekking.com website and look for posts by Campskunk. He and spouse have lived full-time in a class B for several years. Another interesting blog is to simplify.net - he is solo in a VW Vanagon. RVSueandcrew.net (started as ...com) is a single full-timer in a small trailer. Cheaprvliving.com is also a good resource. kimbopolo.blogspot.com is a female full timing approx. 6 mo. out of a year. Winnieviews.blogspot.com is a female traveling full-time in a b-plus. Good luck with your decision.

Katy
Old 03-30-2015, 02:04 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Loma Linda , California
I have heard that buying a older used motorhome with low miles is just as good as buying a new one.

True?

Is there a rule of thumb on this?

Thank you
Old 03-30-2015, 02:42 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Loma Linda , California
Is it better to buy motorhomes which use regular unleaded or diesel?
Old 03-30-2015, 07:33 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMarie View Post
Is it better to buy motorhomes which use regular unleaded or diesel?
Having no experience with diesel or a motor home I'll add my observations anyway. From what I can tell diesel engines add a price premium to whatever vehicle their in compared to a gas engine. Also heard it said routine maintenance is more costly than gas. On the other hand diesel engines use less fuel than gas for comparible performance. So if one drives a lot and keeps the same vehicle for a long time then diesel may be the better choice.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:29 AM   #24
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Loma Linda , California
Thank you everyone for your contributions. I listen carefully to what each of you tell me. I'm a receptive student. That's why I'm here.

I have not run out and purchased anything yet. I have some time.

Thanks again.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:56 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Loma Linda , California
I should have mentioned this in my last post but I didn't.

I think the main reason I've been reluctant to purchase a travel trailer is because I didn't know whether I would be physically strong enough to move the chains around,etc. to hook the truck to the trailer.

I had a fall two years ago. I broke my left foot, right hand, and now this Friday I'm having surgery on my right shoulder because it's been causing so much pain. It's all related to the previous fall. My doctor says I have "frozen shoulder."

I didn't want to purchase something that was going to require manual labor of any kind, because I knew I couldn't do much. Buying the Class B seemed like the best option for me even though I really preferred a travel trailer. Maybe I could get purchase the automatic lift thingy and that would solve the whole problem. Would it?

The travel trailers would better accommodate my overall life long plan, and they are roomier and far less expensive.

So does the automatic thing-a-mi-gig solve my problem?

I can't do any kind of heavy lifting. Not over 10 pounds. If I do my wrist hurts.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:55 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Loma Linda , California
Fortunately for me, I too want to spend most my time in one of the most popular vacation spots in the US, and that is in southern California. I am slightly north of there now. From there I'd like to travel all throughout the Western US.

However, I love the thought of workamping in San Diego County. I visited yelp today, and found numerous RV repair companies with good ratings that customers seem to trust.

I think I'll be okay in a Class B if I have the vehicle inspected regularly and have it well maintenanced. Now I know where to go to have that done.

I will have a smart phone and laptop wherever I go, and repair shops are only a phone call and yelp site away. I noticed that some repair shops offer mobile repair services. Nice.

I always like when they can came to me. Sure they cost a little more. But if I'm broke down who cares?
Old 04-01-2015, 03:57 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Loma Linda , California
This is response to the kind lady who sent me a private message. The system says I'm too new to respond to PM's. So I'm posting my reponse here:

You are very kind and welcoming. I sure need that right now.

I love, love the thought of being a part of a group, but I will have to work some too. I'm working on my certification to substitute teach in California. I will test soon. I will teach and do some work camping.

I will be able to pay cash for a motorhome or travel trailer and a better vehicle, but it will then be wise for me to work periodically (at the very least) to add to my teacher retirement plan. So the work camping and substitute teaching is an ideal situtation for me. I can travel away for base camp for short periods. I can travel all summer. No school. I do want to live permanently in my motorhome or travel trailer.

I will purchase one by fall. My brother says travel trailers will be a real pain for me. He knows me well, better than anyone.

I will see if I can find some youtube videos on hitching up a trailer. Maybe there are some good ones. However, my brother has done this and he strongly recommends a motorhome for me.

Thank you for caring. I need sisters out there who care for us newcomers. I have physical limitations I must respect.

I'll go to Youtube and see what I find. Thank you.

Deb
Old 04-01-2015, 04:36 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It sounds to me as if a Class B would be more suited to your abilities, if not your first choice for roominess.

You don't want to take on something you can't physically manage.

I love my Interstate.

Good luck,

Maggie