Old 03-28-2013, 01:36 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member
1966 22' Safari
Madison , Wisconsin
You can do it all sister! I'm nearing retirement and looking for an Airstream as well. I've got the truck and a guy at work taught me how to tow my last one. I'm also going it alone and nothing will stand in my way. See you out west. Just look for the tall drink of water!

TDOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:51 PM   #30
Rivet Master
Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
Colonial Airstream in NJ - purchased two Airstreams from them, great peeps who are willing to teach & educate with best pricing in North America. Worth it to purchase first Airstream then took it to Cali!

John "JFScheck" Scheck
2014 Itasca Solei 34T in Red Maple
Freightliner XCS Chassis with Cummins 6.7 ISB & Allison MH Transmission
**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:56 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Think you'll find that there is nothing "lonely" about going solo. I'm 68, bought my new trailer 18 months ago, have taken about 5 trips so far -- including one that was 2 weeks in duration. In a couple of weeks I'm heading "west" -- and except for a stop to visit friends in San Antonio I have NO CLUE where I'm going (except for that one stop), or how I'm going to get there, and how long I'll be away. All of this goes completely against my normal way of doing things (planning everything). My experience thus far with my trailer has always been this: I'm sad when I bring it home and have to park it. I've learned that there is something very independent about pulling my trailer. I stop when I'm hungry or tired, I have all the conveniences i need, it takes minimal time to prepare a meal, I sleep incredibly well, and IF I am lucky, I'll get rain at night....there is nothing more wonderful than hearing rainfall on my trailer! Just do it!
"SilverLeaf II" 2015 30' Classic
2014 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4 CC w/6.7L Cummins
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:48 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member
Columbus , Ohio
You will find the mechanics and logistics of travel very doable. Getting a TV with a back-up camera really helps hitching up.

For 8 years I traveled with my two dogs. I never felt solo. They were great travel companions.

Do you have any pets? If not maybe time to think about getting a pooch.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:06 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member
1997 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
You've done your research and gotten some good advice here, so now it is just a matter of connecting with the right dealer. Sounds as though Colonial in NJ is a good bet. Don't wait too long to fulfill your dream. We bought our first AS when I turned 63 and, although I love my wife dearly , when it comes to the AS she is along for the ride and I may as well be solo for the intent and purpose of towing, parking, setting up etc. She is great company, but not so much help with the rest.

good luck and enjoy, enjoy, enjoy

1997 25' Safari
2012 Chevy Silverado HD 2500
dirigible25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:39 PM   #34
Rivet Master
2002 25' Safari
1977 20' Argosy 20
northern valley , new jersey

I don't know how familiar you might be with traffic patterns in & around NYC, so, if you're not, let me warn you to stay away from Interstate 95 through Westchester + the Bronx + Manhattan! instead, head west on I287 to the Tappan Zee Bridge to the Garden State Parkway south to Lakewood.

next, come visit with us, with or without your new Airsteram, in April at the combined 'Go-Fly-A-Kite / Pets & Paws Rally 2' - more info here -

and lastly, we're along the way in NJ, so, if we can help you at all, send us an email or pm! and say hello to Patrick B. for us!

Joseph & Gabrielle

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci.

WBCCI 2087 - AIR 3144 - TAC-NJ2
jm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:56 PM   #35
Len and Jeanne
2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Some encouragement from some other Babes in the Woods...

We are a couple, not a single, but had never owned an RV or really towed anything in our lives prior to buying the Bambi, although we had a lot of tent-camping experience. If you are just starting out like we did 6 years ago:

1. Pick a time for your initial purchase date when your sales person can go every inch of the Airstream with you, and take copious notes about how everything works.

2. Camp on the dealership lot overnight after your purchase, and have your first real camping trip be close-at-hand, so that if you have a problem, you are close to your dealership. (We bought ours at above-mentioned Can-Am in London, Ontario, and this was their very valid recommendation.) We did phone them with questions.

If possible, practice backing up with the trailer on an empty parking lot before you seriously hit the road.

3. If you are also buying a tow vehicle, consider one with a camera in the rear-view mirror that activates while you are backing the truck into position for hitching. (Our Toyota Tacoma has one.) A truck is good if you also get a cap/canopy on the back for extra gear storage. With a bicycle in the back, for instance, you may not need to unhitch just run out for a short errand.

4. You can also buy inexpensive devices (whose name I forget) that help with the hitching process. Basically they are little poles that mount on the trailer hitch and car hitch, that you can see from your rear-view mirror that are either day-glo plastic (Camping World's) or that are metal with colored balls on the tips. You can match these up fairly easily by siting them in your rear-view mirrors, compared to eye-balling unaided. But if you can travel with a friend or family member at first, they can help with the backing process.

5. During your first camping trips, ask for pull-through sites.

6. Never feel too shy to ask fellow RVers for assistance. They are normally helpful and friendly. You will probably make some retired guy feel like a hero for helping you.

7. Just came across a motto in a review of a book by a top female CEO: "What would you do it you weren't afraid?"

Good luck and have fun!
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:13 AM   #36
Rivet Master
2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
the above link didn't work for me.

this did:
2012 F150 Super Crew 5-1/2' bed Ecoboost 4x4 3.73 elec. lock diff. Propride hitch
give life. kidney & pancreas transplant 9/9/06
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:19 AM   #37
2 Rivet Member
East Falmouth , Massachusetts
Hey thanks for your comments -- especially regarding the 25ft bedroom. I will be visiting the New Jersey dealership in a couple of weeks (300 miles!) to spend an afternoon to walk through and evaluate the various sizes. At the very least, I know that I like the Flying Cloud. As to what length....what that is the challenge. It sounds to me like you like the 27ft bedroom arrangement. I an hoping that in time, I will be able to narrow things down. Safe travels. K
AKristine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:20 AM   #38
Villa Rica , Georgia
Kristine, I am right where you are but I am 67 and just widowed in Jan this year. I am buying a vintage Argosy and my son and I are going to enjoy fixing her up. She needs very little. I will then hit the road, we can do this girl! Blessings to you on finding just the right one, you are at least smart enough to want an Airstream, they are the best. Judy
judycarlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:51 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
Make it easy on your self and get a small trailer to start. A 19 is easy to pull and easier to keep up, and you can always trade up if you need more room. We find it perfectly adequate for one or two. With a family or grandkids to accomodate, you may need more room. Maybe rent a motor home for a trip ans make sure that you enjoy yourself. I see too many trailers for sale that were purchased, pulled home, and never used again. That's heartbreaking.
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:27 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
I/we kick ourselves for buying the FC25fb queen. After seeing the same in a twin, wished we would have purchased that model. This model appears longer on the inside and the beds are easier to get in and out of. Thinking of having the conversion done to twins. Queens are of an advantage on the cold nights though.
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:12 AM   #41
1997 25' Safari
Fairbanks , Alaska
Send a message via MSN to AlaskaSafari
Originally Posted by AKristine View Post
Hello everyone -- Greetings from Cape Cod!

Questions like, will I be able to tow by myself? Will I be able to handle the responsibility? Unhitch the Airstream? Take care of it properly?
Yes you can! I'm partial to my Tundra, but your Ford will do the heavy lifting for you. Just keep her between the lines and you'll be ok. Hitching and unhitching is a piece of cake. Just take your time and it will come together. As for maintenance, if this non-mechanical soul can keep our 'stream rolling down the road, so can you!

Best of luck to you.... Enjoy the journey
2007 Tundra Crewmax - 1997 25' Safari
AlumiGypsy Adventures Blog | @TheSpouses on Twitter | AKAV8ER on Instagram

You must live in the present, launch yourself on every wave, find your eternity in each moment... ~ Thoreau
AlaskaSafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:56 AM   #42

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
I preferred the twin bed Cloud myself but it did not come with a microwave and there was really no place to put one so I ended up buying the Cloud 25' which is the rear bed queen model. Other then being difficult to make the bed no real regrets.

graysailor is offline   Reply With Quote