Old 04-05-2012, 10:28 AM   #15
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Go for it! I've taken a couple of vacations by myself and enjoyed them!

We see one or two solo-RVers every summer here in the park. Some stay for a fairly brief time while, well, one of them stays pretty much all summer. (I do hope that yet another, very recently solo'd, will come back, too. There's are several of us hoping to see him, though we suspect he may want to get himself a smaller rig now.) They seem to enjoy the lifestyle!

Lynn

Old 04-08-2012, 02:30 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
West Richland , Washington
I'm a solo newbie Airstream owner - 1965 17' Caravel. I too am widowed (female - age 62) and ready to travel. I still have lots to learn about towing and using my trailer but I'm ready to take the plunge.

Old 04-08-2012, 04:18 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
While we are not solo Airstreamers, we know several who are, and we remain inspired by their treks hither and yon on their own. The suggestions above to get involved in RVing organizations such as WBCCI, Escapees, or Good Sam — to name just a few — are good, and will give you access to group rallies, campouts and caravans where you can meet other like-minded people, develop your own circle of traveling companions, and expand your camping horizons ... all among friends. With practice and taking it slow you will become expert at the mechanical aspects of backing up, hitching, etc and you do need help you will rarely be on your own when camping...even if you know no one in a campground. We have found that if we need assistance there is always someone willing and able to help out if we simply ask. We in the RVing community, as loosely organized as it may seem, share common threads woven throughout us all ... the wonderlust, the joy of the open road, and the excitment of new destinations, friends and experiences... I say go for it. You only live once, so you have to make every day count. And remember, the only limitations you have are those you put on yourself. Enjoy!
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:30 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2012 19' Flying Cloud
McMinnville , Oregon
Okay, guys. (and gals) You've done it! I'm going. The stars have aligned themselves and a friend has offered to house-sit while I go on my solo adventure! I'll be leaving Oregon the end of April and heading south to CA, AZ, perhaps New Mexico and then head up north througn Colorado, Utah and into Montana. You've given me the courage to give it a go! I'm excited to be on the road. If any "solo streamers" are going to be out in the great west somewhere, perhaps we'll meet up. Thanks to all of you for the vote of confidence.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:57 AM   #19

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Congrats! Have a wonderful trip and make sure to post some pictures so we can all be a bit envious! Your going to do great and meet lots people (Bambi's are people magnets) and have a blast! If you ever head through KC drop us a line.
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:34 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1957 22' Flying Cloud
portland , Oregon
that is great!
as you travel north to montana, be sure to stop in grand teton national park. gros ventres campground is rarely full and has great access to the easy to see things in the park.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:46 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Erie , Colorado
Great, let me know when you go through CO! If I'm in state, we can meet up!

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:19 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Glad to hear that you are taking the plunge. I think that it is all in having the right attitude. You are going to run into some problems. That is the nature of camping and traveling, but you will be fine.

Personally, I enjoy the challenge.

Good luck and have fun. You won't be sorry.

Dan
Old 05-07-2012, 12:12 AM   #23
Cecelia

1976 Argosy 22
New London , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by caper2 View Post
Okay, guys. (and gals) You've done it! I'm going. The stars have aligned themselves and a friend has offered to house-sit while I go on my solo adventure! I'll be leaving Oregon the end of April and heading south to CA, AZ, perhaps New Mexico and then head up north througn Colorado, Utah and into Montana. You've given me the courage to give it a go! I'm excited to be on the road. If any "solo streamers" are going to be out in the great west somewhere, perhaps we'll meet up. Thanks to all of you for the vote of confidence.
Really happy to hear that you've decided to go for it! I'm also a widow, looking for my perfect Argosy 24 to hit the road with. I'll be out for 3-4 months at a time, with my faithful German Shepherd, and I can't wait to get started. Be sure and post about your travels, I'd love to know how it goes for you.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:40 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Providence , Rhode Island
I'm so jealous. It sounds like a great trip. I can't wait to get my airstream & do the same thing. Have a great time & can't wait to hear the details.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:55 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

2012 19' Flying Cloud
McMinnville , Oregon
Thanks!

Hello to all who encouraged me to take the most wonderful trip of my life! I was out solo for 9 weeks, 6,607 miles through 7 states. I met some absolutely fabulous people and had experiences I never dreamed I would. With the technology now available, I never felt alone or lonely. I became a real fan of AllStays RV and Camping app on my IPhone. Check it out if you don't have it yet! I am now an expert (well, almost expert) solo hitcher and solo backer and confident solo traveler. You were right; the Bambi is a people magnet and a woman alone is definitely still thought of as a "super-woman." I certainly don't claim to be, but it was funny how the perception of a woman alone is to most campers out there still. Worst problem I had was when the back bumper fell off in Show Low, AZ. But a very nice RV repair man went above and beyond to get me back on the road. I'm rarin' to go again and can't wait! If you're considering it, ladies, I say DO IT! You'll never regret it. Ann
Old 10-31-2012, 01:19 PM   #26
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1975 27' Overlander
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Awesome! I am so glad you did it!!!!! Although I have a partner, he doesn't also go with me. His friends were kinda suprised that I would hitch up and go without him in the beginning. Life is short. Go and do what you want to do (within reason!) and enjoy yourself!

And if you ever get out to the east coast, look some of us up. We have fun over here too!
Air #2757
1989 SquareStream (Annie #8)
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:45 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Hey Ann! Congratulations on a successful trip and even dealing with the bumper thing (How in the world did that happen??)... Expecting the unexpected on the road is part of it and it sounds like you did just fine and kept on going... We can tell from your post that you are done with the hesitation of going solo and rearin' to go again! Good for you!
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:43 PM   #28

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Congrats!! I'm glad you went for it and it sounds like you had a blast! Keep us posted on your travels.

blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote