Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2005, 08:53 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Solo? Should I go 19 or 25 feet?

OK...We're looking at the Safari 19' and the Safari 25'...and for two people and longer trips the 25' looks great....However, since I get more vacation time , I was thinking of takin' some trips myself...Is a 25' too much to handle for one person if you get a "system" figured out (I've driven large busses and smaller boat trailers)...or should we stick with the 19' if I'm thinkin' of doin' much soloing....?
Lamb & Elk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 09:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
We have a 1964 19' GlobeTrotter, just the two of us. I always thought it was big enough. However, this last year I traveled quite a bit by myself...very comfortably, I might add. I LOVE our trailer and am not in the market to 'go longer' (right now) however, it does feel alot smaller when there are two of us using it. Especially now, that' I've had it by myself so much, before I never noticed it.

While new trailers are wider than vintage ones, they are also more built-out or overstuffed so I would think the smallness would be noticed even more.

What about a compromise with a 22-footer.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 09:06 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1997 30' Excella
Waddell , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamb & Elk
OK...We're looking at the Safari 19' and the Safari 25'...and for two people and longer trips the 25' looks great....However, since I get more vacation time , I was thinking of takin' some trips myself...Is a 25' too much to handle for one person if you get a "system" figured out (I've driven large busses and smaller boat trailers)...or should we stick with the 19' if I'm thinkin' of doin' much soloing....?
I used to have a 99 19' Bambi. When I traveled alone is was OK even though I thought the bed was too small. When my wife traveled with me the bed turned out to be a "deal breaker", 48"X75" is just too small for a 5'10" man & a 5'8" woman.

I have traveled alone with our 30' Excella and find it no more difficult to deal with then the 19 footer was.
1997 30' Excella (SOLD)
Steve Heywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 09:09 PM   #4

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
.Is a 25' too much to handle for one person if you get a "system" figured out
Quite honestly your second person doesn't provide much help except for backing...now Patty does get things set up inside while I'm busy setting up the outside things. Awnings, electrical, hoses, etc. The length of the trailer seems to be inconsequential.

A longer trailer only affects me in the fact that I can put in more "stuff".

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 09:36 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
Size does matter, Bigger is better. Seriously I think the two axels for safety and the extra room will be appreciated by most. Its no more difficult to hook up or tow.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 09:40 PM   #6
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Try 22 or 23

I travelled extensively by myself in a 22 International and it was simply great for one person and one cat. With a second person and a second cat, it was way too small and we upgraded to a 25 and finally to a 28.

Additional length is simply no problem except that with the longer trailer I have to be more careful not to get into places such as tight parking lots that were no problem with the shorter trailer. The longer trailer is way easier to back. Since my wife is simply no help, I do the backing alone even when she is present.

I would go at least to a 22 or 23 for the dual axles and more room than a 19. The 25 would be great, also, but more than you really need.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 10:01 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
I would go with the 25' Safari for a number of reasons. One is the number of different floor plans available in the Safari and Safari Special Edition from which you can choose to suit both you and your wife. Second, one floorplan (25' Safari) allows you to close off the large bed in the back of the trailer if one of you decides to go to bed earlier than the other. Third, there is more room to move about when both of you travel. Consider what might happen should you run into bad weather and have to sit in the trailer all day. Fourth, you won't notice much difference in the towing so you might as well go with the 25'.

I tow a '77 Excella 500 31' and an '86 Sovereign 25'. I can tell the difference between these two trailers and find the 25' a little easier to maneuver in campgrounds. I find the 25' easy to handle by myself, plenty of room and enough room for my wife or one of my kids. Going to a 19' would not allow the storage space I need just for myself but that is another story. Hope this helps.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 10:16 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Thanks so much for the info...
That bed is mighty small for two people (especially for long trips *smile*) in the 19'...My main concern was the backing problem in the 25'....but it sounds like that there really isn't much of a difference...and on a long rainy trip, the 25' could save the relationship *laugh*
And yes, we love the layout of the 25...it gives a lot of options....
Old 11-08-2005, 11:07 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
You've come to the right place for opinions from experience -- welcome aboard!

Having recently acquired a 25' FB SE with twin beds, I am ecstatic about the amount of storage space aboard. Unlike the queen version with one small outside storage door, the twin bed version has three -- of darned good size too! This is very difficult info to find at airstream.com or at a dealer, unless the latter actually had both models in stock. Any 25' has a lot more storage space than a 22' -- which matters to my longer term roving plans.

Be aware that the 25' queen bed has minimal walkaround space, in spite of the suggestions in the floor plans. Nothing beats actually seeing one or the other -- we'd been analyzing this for years, tho didn't make a decision to go 'new' until 5 months ago. Some people don't like corner master beds -- be sure to look at some of those in person.

8'6" wide backs up a lot bigger than my 8" wide Argosy. I have confidence in backing but don't have any qualms about getting out and looking a number of times to make sure I'm headed in the right direction. In spite of having a partner much of the time I must assure myself on this -- and don't want it to become a major issue against the other party should metal get bent!

Develop good habits -- have checklists for arrival and departure steps. Do a walkaround at every departure. Be alert, fresh, and unhurried -- it'll be a much happier experience!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 11:20 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
We've owned trailers with twins and with the pedestal queen. Spending 4 months at a time out, we came to not like the twins. One side of the twin bed was always up against a cold wall (or hot in the summer), and the twin beds were a bear to make. At least that was the excuse my wife used to keep the linens on an extra couple days. I converted our twin bed Excella 25 to a short queen and it is fabulous. The short queen mattress is just as comfortable as our bed at home. You wouldn't have the option of the queen mattress with the Safari 19. After you have been out for a while, comfort becomes really important.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:51 PM   #11
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
Rivet Solo with 25/19 Safari

I have a 2005 Safari 25. My wife is scared to death in attempting to drive. The easy part is hitching up. Even backing up at a half decent park is easy enough. It just requires you getting out of the truck to make sure you're clear in the back.

I've gone alone a few times. Scary at first but all it takes is "Patiences".

Unless you're physically handicaped, Yes, get the smaller of the two. But with your experience, you should be able to handle a 25 with no sweat!

Best of luck in which ever one you decide to purchase.

R/
Rick Provencio
AKA: Safari-Rick

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 05:34 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Sounds like you have been convinced - go with the 25.

We have a 21 - 8' wide single axle and a 26 7.5' wide double axle. From our experience - which is not much They both have their advantages and disadvantes.

The little one is easy to maneuver in really tight spots - but then when you finish for the day - the sleeping becomes the really tight spot. 6.2 and 5.4 and 3.1 (Golden Retriever) all on the 48 x 75 is a Holiday spoiler (thank goodness the black Lab picks a less crowded spot).

The Hubby can sleep on a rock - so we changed the sleeping arrangements I get the double and he sleeps up front with Taz on the other single - but then we are making beds up all the time. and as we get older - this will become I am sure a pain in the &^%

With the 26 which we are not camping in yet - just used it three times - pickup and the two times to drop off and pick up at Axis. I found the singles not bad - got a better idea of sleeping in singles (5 inches thinner) on our holiday in the Globe Trotter they were tight! but still better than sharing a tiny double.

We both drive - and BOTH back up - and for you Ladies out there - do not be discouraged - it is not has hard as you think - once the little light comes on - women are actually a little better at times because we have more patience - and the big one - we don't care what other people think how we are doing.

The key as mentioned here - is when you are backing up 50K plus - stepping out once or a 100 times is your perogative.

Although longer - the tandem is easier to back in - singles quite often get over corrected to easily - which can get a bit frustrating if you do not have the room to maneuver.

As far as pulling either - the only difference I notice - is a can certainly see more side to side with the 7.5 - but that does not help you - with the new Safari's they are all 8'+.

For a single the 19 would be plenty big enough - but for two it would get cramped so I would definitely go bigger - and if you can afford the 25 I would skip right over the 22 to get more storage and elbow room.

If the cards ever dropped in our favour to get a newer one - then we would get the 25 no question. If we were dealt a great hand - then the upgrade tow vehicle would be in order so we would go for the ideal size the 28 I think the 28 gives you that extra space - for over wintering situations - 6 months at a time. 25 gives me a couple of months in one place - but could manage the "on the road" style - always moving so it seems bigger.

What is that saying - by a size bigger - because of shrinkage - well as you get older it is not the trailer that will shrink........

Get in them - jump on the beds - find a dealer who might even let you stay in one overnight on the lot (yes now would'nt that be a cool selling feature) - have a 25 footer available for rental - dealer tow and pick up from a local camp ground - or how about your own driveway - Or better still - each dealer set up a "pad" full hook ups and have a demo available. - in a perfect world......

Good luck with your decision - with lots of reasearch and patience - you will make the best decision for your own life styles. But if you end up not too happy - you can always get great advice here on how to make Mods
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 08:46 AM   #13
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
From a solo traveler for what its worth

The vast majority of my travel is solo although I do have others along on occasion. This summer I purchased a 24ft tradewind and have used it quite a bit. First of all I agree two axles are better than one and gains in storage space is disporportional for every foot over 20. And as somebody mentioned with a short unit you can expect to spend alot of time making up and taking apart beds (which I detest). The only thing I wish my coach had would be a little more room in the living area (front) but that would argue for a longer rather than shorter unit. The coach is a breeze to pull and set up, no problem at all for a solo traveler. I like the fact that my coach is narrow, and I would recomend thinking vintage on that basis alone. So thats one solo travelers take on coach size, that and $5 will probally get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 09:52 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

19 or 25

I love everything about my 19'er except sharing it.I solo most of the time and it is perfect!If you love your wife give her BIGGER!Th more room the happier the camper.
cynthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 11:20 AM   #15
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Go for wider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
I like the fact that my coach is narrow, and I would recomend thinking vintage on that basis alone.
I have had travel trailers in widths from 6' 6" wide Scamp right up to my current 8' 6" wide Classic. I was reluctant at first to go to the wide body and bought the 8' wide 22' International before upgrading to a wide body.

I scarcely notice the wider body when on the road except in the occasional construction zone. The gain in liveability resulting from the wider trailer far exceeds the extra driving care needed in occasional tight places. I base this opinion on about 20,000 miles towing the wide body trailer.

With the wider trailer, you do need extension mirrors, however, I occasionally forget to extend mine and I get along fine till I extend them at the next convenient stop.

I would never willingly go back to the narrower trailer.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 11:28 AM   #16
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
It looks the same in the rear-view mirror

Quote:
Thanks so much for the info...
That bed is mighty small for two people (especially for long trips *smile*) in the 19'...My main concern was the backing problem in the 25'....but it sounds like that there really isn't much of a difference...and on a long rainy trip, the 25' could save the relationship *laugh*
And yes, we love the layout of the 25...it gives a lot of options....
A 25' is really easier to back up, because it has a second axle to resist the sudden swing from turning that you get with a single axle trailer, as well as the longer wheelbase tending to slow down the turning process while backing.
A 25' would tend to sway less, they tow easier (less bobbling around) and ride better, as well as having more interior space. If you think about it, it should be no more trouble to set up and break down camp, you still only have one water connection, one water heater to light, one power cord to plug in, etc. And it loolks the same from the driver's seat, you just have to remember to allow a bit more room when making turns.
Old 11-09-2005, 01:10 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Clear as mud....*smile*

OK...so I am totally convinced that the 25' is definitely the way to go *laugh* (I hadn't even realized that the double axles make a difference in backing)...and plus, I had forgotten the dogs...they may be small little wiener dogs (2) but you wouldn't believe the space that they take up in the bed when they stretch out....
But now you've got me thinking about storage and space...Is the 28' that different from the Safari 25 FB' (besides the 3 feet ). Is bigger always better?
I've been "lurking" around the forums for months now "absorbing" information...between TV, sewage, tv mounts, and everything else...thank you so much for the use of your "brains"...Hopefully, it'll help us avoid a lot of "newbie" mistakes...

Susan
Old 11-09-2005, 01:42 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
.... Is bigger always better?

I've been "lurking" around the forums for months now "absorbing" information...between TV, sewage, tv mounts, and everything else...thank you so much for the use of your "brains"...Hopefully, it'll help us avoid a lot of "newbie" mistakes...

Susan
Newbies don't make mistakes - we just like to see for ourselves what everyone else has been through

To address your point is bigger always better. In this case I would have to say no

You tell me which is the 21' Globe Trotter and which is the 26' Argosy.

One with a dinette set up and the other with a couch set up. sorry the pics are not the greatest - and nope that ol'e guy is not my Hubby - he is my Dad and the look on his face says - well if they don't get here soon I'm going to eat the lot. He did however find out pretty quick that saving dishes and using paper towels was not a good idea

One neg on the dinette set up the couches are not too comfortable - but can easily be rectified by getting custom puff/pillow style upholstery cushions made - which is the reason I have held off on doing that job.

The typical Airstream front couch - I am sure is much more comfortable.

Keep in mind Susan that we are speaking about Vintage.

The 28 Excella that we have - the wrek - has the couch and side pull out table set up too - but definitely has more elbow room than a 26 - don't think the side tables are any bigger - you just have more room to get a chair in on the other side.

To pop another thought - too much storage can also be a pain in the rear - photo memory - up and down to get at things which half of we never need and just collect dust in the trailers.

But on a more practical point - the older you get the more space you will need to manuever - stiffer bones and aching muscles -and the big A word will hit us all at one point - and I am sure that is when the more space concept plays a big role in our decision making for the furture.

Happy surfing - and don't be like half of us here and jump in knee deep and then almost drown trying to figure out how the heck one trailer ended up being three in a real short time!!!
Old 11-09-2005, 01:45 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Opps forgot the photos

I guess the edit button is not functioning these days????

Okay it is the younger guy with grey hair woofing down the coffee that is my guy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2856.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	16154   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1681.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	16155  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP_9769.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	183.5 KB
ID:	16156  
Old 11-09-2005, 01:54 PM   #20
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Having owned a 19' Bambi and now a 25' Safari I can tell you one person can manage both. As for space for two, clearly you will want the 25'. There is 2x the storage, more fresh water capacity, dual sink, couch and dinette (depending on 25' model selected), larger fridge (with seperate freezer), dual axles, etc.

Now the bad news is that the 25' GVWR can be a bit more than the 19' Bambi, and you are really starting to get into the 3/4 ton tow vehicle, but I will say this, I've used ours solo and it's been great. When we go out together, even better with the extra space. When the niece and nephew come with us as they did with the Bambi it's a night and day difference.

If you couldn't tell, I am wholeheartedly suggesting you go with the 25' It's just a real comfy, manageable unit.

I'm still thinking of upgrading and when I do it will most likely be another 25' unit. If yer interested I'd sell you my 2004 25 SS for a fair price...only used about a dozen times. I'm thinking of getting a 25' SS SE LS.

My 04 has an upgraded A/C unit (15k BTU) dual fantastic vents, dual entry step (added later), leather sofa, LS upgrade pkg, etc.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote