Old 12-07-2010, 05:35 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
We love our 20'. We are two adults and two dogs [47 & 27 lbs. (the dogs, not the people)]. We just spent 8 weeks in it with no problems. Yes, it's small, but it affords us to camp in the out of the way places we like the best. We think the 20' layout is much better than the 19'. The 25' is grand, and we'd go for it if we a lot spent more time in it, but we love the 20'. In the end, it's all personal preference.

Old 12-07-2010, 06:08 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
We have a 1964 19' GlobeTrotter, just the two of us. I always thought it was big enough. However, this last year I traveled quite a bit by myself...very comfortably, I might add. I LOVE our trailer and am not in the market to 'go longer' (right now) however, it does feel alot smaller when there are two of us using it. Especially now, that' I've had it by myself so much, before I never noticed it.

<snip>

What about a compromise with a 22-footer.
Times change...we now have two trailers - both the original 19' and a 22'. The 22' does have more length & storage for longer trips, but both are comfortable with either one or two people...the 22' is actually too big for "just one" unless it is a longer trip - at least for us.

Basically IMO, the 19' is very comfy for one on a longer trip or two on a shorter trip and the 22' is perfect for two on either a short or long trip. Neither would be suitable for us for full-timing though. So it just depends on how you plan on using it...good thing there are lots of options! One is bound to be "just right" for everybody ~

Shari

WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 06:12 PM   #31
HCR
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Full time traveler
Lived solo in a 23 ft. Award TT for 10 years and finally wore out the superb little trailer. My 25 ft. Safari seems SO much bigger and I highly recommend the 25 ft. for solo and full time traveling.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:37 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Erin , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
We love our 20'. We are two adults and two dogs [47 & 27 lbs. (the dogs, not the people)]. We just spent 8 weeks in it with no problems. Yes, it's small, but it affords us to camp in the out of the way places we like the best. We think the 20' layout is much better than the 19'. The 25' is grand, and we'd go for it if we a lot spent more time in it, but we love the 20'. In the end, it's all personal preference.
Looks like you use the trailer to go to dog trials too! I am new to this but would like to have an Airstream in my future. For traveling and taking my (our) 5 dogs(small) instead of boarding them which we do rarely because they are family and would like them with us. I also want to trial more (agility) and think it would be fun to be able to go further and stay at the site when available.

We lived in SOB for 6 months while waitng for my husband to get our new house livable. We are in the house, but in the unfinished basement and have been for some time. So I would also live in it from May until October until we can move to the main floor. I'll read and read and develope a plan in regards to lenght, width, floor plans and year. Has to be used re: price point. All the info from members sure helps!

Bettina
Old 12-07-2010, 07:58 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
This is an old thread brought back, but it's an interesting one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCR View Post
Lived solo in a 23 ft. Award TT for 10 years and finally wore out the superb little trailer. My 25 ft. Safari seems SO much bigger and I highly recommend the 25 ft. for solo and full time traveling.
HCR, do you notice any difference in towing between the different sized trailers? At some point, when we decide to upgrade from our Minuet to something with a big fixed bed or twins, I think it's going to come down to a 23' or 25' - I like the 23' trailers as sort of a "pocket cruiser", but the 25FB is indeed "grand" (and 3 feet longer, and 1/2 a foot wider)...

I get the feeling the size difference-when-towing disappears fast...

Tom
Old 12-07-2010, 09:07 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
A lot said here about size but not much on how that size is spent. Some Airstreams have large bedrooms, large bathrooms, large kitchens, or large living rooms. Only the biggest have it all, then there may be other problems when moving the thing.

We get by a with a very small bed area but are perfectly comfortable, allowing a large kitchen/dining and decent bath, which is much more useful to us. For another example, take a look at the current 23' models. Three different configurations, each ideal for different people.

Not all 25's are alike either, go back only a few years and there were different configurations as well. My measure of big is that it has a decent kitchen, a dinette, and a genuine sofa. I'm not so sure the present 25's have that, but the 28's do.

So set your priorities, and explore the inside before measuring the outside.

Doug
Old 07-31-2011, 10:11 PM   #35
jdb
jdb

2005 22' International CCD
Somewhere , Currently moving east to west
Well, you've gotten a lot of good advice and it is all over the map, so I'll add my two cents: I have a narrow 22 footer and love towing it. I can stick it pretty much anywhere and that helps a surprising amount of the time if you do the National Forest campground thing. I've full timed in it for as long as a year at a time, and it's great for one person. It's too small for me and another person for full timing, but is fine on trips. I am not looking for a larger unit, but I would if I intended to full time with another person. Good luck!