Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Solo Streamers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-09-2005, 02:07 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

Makes sense...

Yes...the 25' definitely makes more sense in that regard...especially if our godkids ever decide to come on a trip with us (hadn't thought of that)
I was actually looking at the Safari 25' FB that seems to have both the couch and the dinnette...and a full queen bed...the 28' is bigger and more costly...and I can't figure out anything that it has over the 25'...

Susan
Lamb & Elk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 03:36 PM   #22
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
The 28 is longer, and the bed is normal situated front to back instead of sideways. I know folks like the bedroom up front on the FB model and on thte 30' "Bunkhouse", it's a personal choice. I didn't care for it as the front of the coach is closer to the road. I like the bed closer to the back because to me it leaves some buffer zone between you and the front of the campsite...again, it's a personal call.

I like the 28' unit. There are two real issues that I didn't like about it. One was the air vent in the floor by the dinette and front door. Not sure if it is still there, but it seemed to me to be a bad idea. The other thing I didn't care for about the 28 was that the walkway seemed more tight than the 25' unit (25 C). The 25' C has a bit more room up front for the kids to play around in, and when trying to get around folks in the kitchen area, it's not as crowded. I do love the bed config in the back though, but didn't care for the L couch which can't be removed and replaced with a normal couch since the water heater is under there on the street side. In addition, I like the credenza on the 25 C that allows both dining and other activites as a functional table for the couch.

There are many good and bad points and what I've shared is my opinion. The bottom line is you gotta go for what moves you. For me, personally it was the 25' Six Sleeper....and it too has some shortcomings, but since I am camping, and roughing it.....well, I take the good with the bad since it is a very comfy coach. That's not to say I don't think of the ol Bambi every once in a while.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 06:12 PM   #23
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamb & Elk
and I can't figure out anything that it has over the 25'...

Susan
24 square feet more.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:39 PM   #24
_

. , .
so many sizes, models and years....so little time.

hi lamb and elk

welcome to airstreaming.

you've not told us much about your camping experience or previous trailering.....and why a trailer and not a moho?

i have airstreamed solo for 25+ years. currently i have a 34 tri axle...and as jack suggests the number of helpers while traveling has little to do with trailer length....it's the truck that does all the work! infact if folks are running around while you back up/park they just become more things to look out for like the water pipe/picnic table and so on....

mpg doesn't change much, camping options don't change much, need to by groceries or do laundry doesn't change much...backing isn't an issue, rearward vision is all the same and so on....of course every one of us thinks we've selected the perfect length and can rationalize our choices....

i wanted a full bedroom with a real sized bed that i couldn't see from the galley/lounge area. a shower large enough to actually used daily, plenty of kitchen space without converting stuff 3 times/day, and a lounge area big enough to move around in...also i wanted enough indoor space for long trips at times other than summer....

and i wanted 3 axles/6 tires/6 brakes and the suspension/support that comes from the triple units.....so i opted for the shortest tri trailer they offer.

yes traveling along\e takes some getting used to...but it's really no different than driving a car alone and staying in motels...either way you'll need to learn to keep track of everything anyway.

i agree the 25 safari/international upgrade is a neat "studio apartment" sized room with everything in full view...but the beds too small and so is the shower....and there isn't a real bed room anyway....and the fluid capacities aren't enough....and so on.

in one of your posts you suggest wanting to avoid making a purchase mistake....well that's a good notion...of course airstream dealer/inc like it when a buyer goes from 22 to 25 to 28 to 31 every year or so.... and rarely do 34ers upgrade to a smaller trailer.

as an airsteamer it's sort of fun to grow in length every few years and this board is full of folks who've done just that....

if this if your FIRST trailer of any kind ever, it's important to sort out how you will use it and how often....not the daydreamin' stuff but realistic usage. also where will you store it when not on the road and what will be the t.v.

then of course how much can you afford on this one....and the next one....and so on.

twinks go a nice unit at the 25 for a near new/used purchase and a 7-10 year old 34 can be purchased for less than the 25/28 new safaris....

so i think the biggest mistake is not getting ANY airstream.....but the most expensive mistake is buying new as a first timer....lots of folks who do end up never using what they buy and selling at a big discount and if they do use it much how soon do they upgrade....so my suggestion is look toward a recent (95 on) trailer, that has been seldom used but nicely depreciated.....

and get the biggest you can afford, because i've not spent one second saying.....

"i wonder what it would be like if this thing were 2 feet shorter....."

cheers and enjoy
2air'
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 08:50 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2002 19' Bambi
1989 29' Excella
1980 28' International
Avon , Colorado
Send a message via AIM to rfield54
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
twinks go a nice unit at the 25 for a near new/used purchase and a 7-10 year old 34 can be purchased for less than the 25/28 new safaris....
What does this mean??

AIR #2753

www.roybloomfield.com
rfield54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 09:26 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
I'm one who purchased a 31' for use during turkey and deer seasons (we're talking 30 days or more per year) either by myself or having a hunting friend sleep on the front couch part of that time. I also had visions of time spent on the road with my wife and some of my 4 kids. Well, I did make a trip to Stone Mountain, GA. with wife and 2 kids and a trip to Cloudland Canyon by myself. I found that I had more than enough space for myself, still more room with one other person but a little cramped with two kids sleeping on the floor. Part of the problem was the single mid bed/dresser arrangement rather than twins.

I started looking at what I could do without and started subtracting floorspace. I figured subtract 2 wardrobe cabinets each less than 2' in width. Ok, down to a 29' or so. I figured subtract 3' from the front lounge area because there is more than enough room. OK, down to 26'. Last, subtract 1' from the galley counter. Down to 25' and I could live with that. Could I go any shorter? Well, maybe but the floorplan was not available that I could live with in the 80's and 90's. I sure can't afford a new trailer on what I make and 3 kids in college at the same time.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 11:00 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic
N Smithfield , Rhode Island
25' Safari SS LS for SALE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamb & Elk
OK...so I am totally convinced that the 25' is definitely the way to go *laugh* Is bigger always better?
Susan
Hi Susan,

We have a 25' 2004 Safari SS for sale, if you are interested PM me. We love the unit but.........looking to purchase the 30' Safari Bunkbed, and would like a little more space with two adult size children. The floorplan is quite comfortable though! This unit tows like a charm. Sometimes we forget we have something in tow. So I guess bigger is always better if you can manage it.

Regards,
Gail

BRN-2905
NEAC of Region 1
AirHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 03:52 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I really like our 25' model. Camped a lot in forest service campgrounds and it could fit many spaces. lived in it for 4 months at the time and it was big enough. my wife would have liked a wide body so we could pass in the hall. now I just have a beer and sit outside until she is through at the stove.
bought a 32 footer. gets about the same milage as the 25' behind our diesel. but I could tow the 25 with a 150 and I would not tow the longer one with that. the longer trailer is easier to back. the bathroom is definitely bigger and nicer. we are going to park it year round in Fl and caravan with the short one.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 04:35 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
We love our 20'. We are two adults and two dogs [47 & 27 lbs. (the dogs, not the people)]. We just spent 8 weeks in it with no problems. Yes, it's small, but it affords us to camp in the out of the way places we like the best. We think the 20' layout is much better than the 19'. The 25' is grand, and we'd go for it if we a lot spent more time in it, but we love the 20'. In the end, it's all personal preference.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 05:08 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
We have a 1964 19' GlobeTrotter, just the two of us. I always thought it was big enough. However, this last year I traveled quite a bit by myself...very comfortably, I might add. I LOVE our trailer and am not in the market to 'go longer' (right now) however, it does feel alot smaller when there are two of us using it. Especially now, that' I've had it by myself so much, before I never noticed it.

<snip>

What about a compromise with a 22-footer.
Times change...we now have two trailers - both the original 19' and a 22'. The 22' does have more length & storage for longer trips, but both are comfortable with either one or two people...the 22' is actually too big for "just one" unless it is a longer trip - at least for us.

Basically IMO, the 19' is very comfy for one on a longer trip or two on a shorter trip and the 22' is perfect for two on either a short or long trip. Neither would be suitable for us for full-timing though. So it just depends on how you plan on using it...good thing there are lots of options! One is bound to be "just right" for everybody ~

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 05:12 PM   #31
HCR
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Full time traveler
Lived solo in a 23 ft. Award TT for 10 years and finally wore out the superb little trailer. My 25 ft. Safari seems SO much bigger and I highly recommend the 25 ft. for solo and full time traveling.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:37 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Erin , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
We love our 20'. We are two adults and two dogs [47 & 27 lbs. (the dogs, not the people)]. We just spent 8 weeks in it with no problems. Yes, it's small, but it affords us to camp in the out of the way places we like the best. We think the 20' layout is much better than the 19'. The 25' is grand, and we'd go for it if we a lot spent more time in it, but we love the 20'. In the end, it's all personal preference.
Looks like you use the trailer to go to dog trials too! I am new to this but would like to have an Airstream in my future. For traveling and taking my (our) 5 dogs(small) instead of boarding them which we do rarely because they are family and would like them with us. I also want to trial more (agility) and think it would be fun to be able to go further and stay at the site when available.

We lived in SOB for 6 months while waitng for my husband to get our new house livable. We are in the house, but in the unfinished basement and have been for some time. So I would also live in it from May until October until we can move to the main floor. I'll read and read and develope a plan in regards to lenght, width, floor plans and year. Has to be used re: price point. All the info from members sure helps!

Bettina
fab5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 06:58 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
This is an old thread brought back, but it's an interesting one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCR View Post
Lived solo in a 23 ft. Award TT for 10 years and finally wore out the superb little trailer. My 25 ft. Safari seems SO much bigger and I highly recommend the 25 ft. for solo and full time traveling.
HCR, do you notice any difference in towing between the different sized trailers? At some point, when we decide to upgrade from our Minuet to something with a big fixed bed or twins, I think it's going to come down to a 23' or 25' - I like the 23' trailers as sort of a "pocket cruiser", but the 25FB is indeed "grand" (and 3 feet longer, and 1/2 a foot wider)...

I get the feeling the size difference-when-towing disappears fast...

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 08:07 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
A lot said here about size but not much on how that size is spent. Some Airstreams have large bedrooms, large bathrooms, large kitchens, or large living rooms. Only the biggest have it all, then there may be other problems when moving the thing.

We get by a with a very small bed area but are perfectly comfortable, allowing a large kitchen/dining and decent bath, which is much more useful to us. For another example, take a look at the current 23' models. Three different configurations, each ideal for different people.

Not all 25's are alike either, go back only a few years and there were different configurations as well. My measure of big is that it has a decent kitchen, a dinette, and a genuine sofa. I'm not so sure the present 25's have that, but the 28's do.

So set your priorities, and explore the inside before measuring the outside.

Doug
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:11 PM   #35
jdb
jdb

2005 22' International CCD
Somewhere , Currently moving east to west
Well, you've gotten a lot of good advice and it is all over the map, so I'll add my two cents: I have a narrow 22 footer and love towing it. I can stick it pretty much anywhere and that helps a surprising amount of the time if you do the National Forest campground thing. I've full timed in it for as long as a year at a time, and it's great for one person. It's too small for me and another person for full timing, but is fine on trips. I am not looking for a larger unit, but I would if I intended to full time with another person. Good luck!
jdb is offline   Reply With Quote