Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2010, 11:06 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1963 16' Bambi
1972 31' Sovereign
Buchanan , Tennessee
Solo run out West in June

I've always taken my wall tents and camped in the Nat'l. Forest in Colorado in previous years. This year I plan on taking my lil Bambi out and use it. I've been prepping it for the trip and plan on making the run from TN on I 40 to Gallup,NM. Then head north into Cortez, CO. I will end up in Dolores,CO area and flyfish,hike,bike there until the archery elk season opens. My trips out West seem to last longer each year and I'll return to TN the end of September.....Sounds like a plan!
lil63bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 02:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Will you still camp in the Nat'l Forests with the Bambi or, will you do something else, like state parks, on your 2010 trip to CO?
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 01:45 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1963 16' Bambi
1972 31' Sovereign
Buchanan , Tennessee
I waited until I got out here before responding but so far I've managed to take my Bambi into the areas I've always used tents. I'm currently in the San Juan Mtns. just south of Rico,CO. The weather is so good here I'm going to stay until the first of July before heading north up into Idaho..... There were some trees across sections of the forest road from the severe winter but they had been partially removed,cut so I could get the truck and Bambi through. LIFE IS GOOD where I'm at....CHEERS!!
Old 06-22-2010, 02:55 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari
Montrose , Colorado
Glad to see you are enjoying our Colorado mountains. Your Bambi will make those summer rain storms much more enjoyable that the tent ever was. If you are into such things, Telluride, Ouray, and Montrose all have festivities and great fireworks displays on July 4th if you are still in the area. Enjoy your trip.
48Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 09:23 PM   #5
A 7th year newby

1968 24' Tradewind
Indianapolis , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to IndyAnne
I won a 57 Overlander on eBay, will be driving out to Idaho within a week or so, to Lenore, to pick her up. It might take a couple of days to get her towable, then I will head back to Indianapolis. I'm thinking I'll try to stay in the state parks on my way out and back, not sure this old girl will be ready for camping. We're the same age -- something I've been hoping to do for a long time. I figure it's a good $500 investment and I get a nice vacation in the process.

Your trip sounds dreamy, especially the part about staying out west until September, and fly fishing. I'll have to pack my gear and plan on some fly fishing on my trip through MT and ID, maybe into Western WA.

I have to be back in Indy by July 6, then it's family reunion season until August. Maybe some more travel then.

Do you have any tips on solo camping? I've never done it, and I'm not afraid, just cautious.

Happy Airstreaming, and I hope you get some fish!
Anne

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil63bambi View Post
I waited until I got out here before responding but so far I've managed to take my Bambi into the areas I've always used tents. I'm currently in the San Juan Mtns. just south of Rico,CO. The weather is so good here I'm going to stay until the first of July before heading north up into Idaho..... There were some trees across sections of the forest road from the severe winter but they had been partially removed,cut so I could get the truck and Bambi through. LIFE IS GOOD where I'm at....CHEERS!!
1968 Airstream Trade Wind
2005 Chevy K1500 crew, reg. bed, 4WD, gas
IndyAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:31 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1963 16' Bambi
1972 31' Sovereign
Buchanan , Tennessee
I took some pics coming out

I stopped and took some pics of the downed trees and other obstructions on the Forest road I was camped on in CO. I'll try to get the pics posted. A person camping this way should have a crosscut saw or chainsaw handy to cut themselves out if a tree should fall and block the road. A nylon "snatchem" strap or tow line can be used if the tow vehicle is 4 wheel drive or has enough "uumph" to move the downed tree. I'm in the process of heading north by the first of July, either to Idaho or into Montana,near Red Lodge and Cooke City...... Cheers!
Old 06-25-2010, 12:48 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1952 21' Flying Cloud
New Orleans , Louisiana
My wife and I just got back home to New Orleans from a trip out to Telluride for their bluegrass festival last week. We actually stopped on Dolores on the way home. It was our first real road trip of any significant distance in our '52 Flying Cloud. Trip was great, but I now have a long list of "projects" as we found lots of little things that need tweaking/repair. Enjoy your trip!
tonynorman50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 12:54 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1963 16' Bambi
1972 31' Sovereign
Buchanan , Tennessee
I had to pick up some screws,lock washers, nuts for lost or loosened fasteners from the Bambi on the washboard Forest roads. The mirror fasteners had backed off and the negative battery post bolt had come off. I made a point of driving out a little slower than my trip up the mountain. I'm currently camping alongside Hwy. #145 just south of Rico,CO on public land. The Dolores River is running below my site. Life is Good!
Old 07-04-2010, 02:26 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1963 16' Bambi
1972 31' Sovereign
Buchanan , Tennessee
I got back to camp last evening and was greeted by a couple that wanted to see the Bambi. Turns out they lived at the foot of the mountain and had a 22 ft. 1972 Airstream. They were so helpful, offering water,battery charge,etc..if I needed it. I stopped in and looked at their 'Stream this morning and was invited back for dinner. Airstreamers are such nice folks!!
Old 07-07-2010, 07:58 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Classic FB
Anytown , Massachusetts
Love those San Juan Mtns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil63bambi View Post
I have fond memories of those mtn ranges from 2003 I spent sixteen days out there shooting. It's so wonderful to watch the ELK run along the road at lighting speed. Enjoy the moments!

Great idea about the hand saw I have thought about that this summer when I was a Lehman's in OH but did not get it. I carry two axes but I think when you are remotely camping to have my Stihl chain saw would be excellent.

Keep the posts coming especially about the fly fishing and hunting.

Lin.
WBCCI #8701* TAC MA-1 * NEU UNIT
Gracie...A Liver & White GSP
Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
Whirlaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:12 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1963 16' Bambi
1972 31' Sovereign
Buchanan , Tennessee
Pics on my webshots site

I mailed back a couple of memory sticks of pics of Colorado and Montana and Idaho while on the road trip with Bambi. webshots-rodge1102..............
Old 08-01-2011, 11:03 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1963 16' Bambi
1972 31' Sovereign
Buchanan , Tennessee
I loaded Bambi and went up to Yellowstone Park area this year but the prolonged winter-fishing postponed- and the recent grizzly bear lawsuit put a dampner on the trip there. SO I drove on over to the 4 Corners area of Colorado and have been there since the first of July. I'll probably start home sometime in September. I'll post pics later. A couple in a new Safari Airstream stopped me at the Silver Gate entrance to Yellowstone and said they had been following me and snapped some photos of Bambi from behind. Their website is:upintheairstream.com.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:41 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1963 16' Bambi
1972 31' Sovereign
Buchanan , Tennessee
Old 05-31-2013, 10:17 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1963 16' Bambi
1972 31' Sovereign
Buchanan , Tennessee
Well, its been awhile since I visited over here. I just sold my vintage 1972 Land Yacht International 31 footer so its just the lil Bambi now.....got a new Cyclo polisher and about to put a high gloss on the little gal.....
Old 05-31-2013, 10:39 AM   #15
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
How about Mesa Verde?
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote