Old 06-02-2017, 08:40 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Awesome thread. Learning a lot. Love the "GOAL" idea.

I've never seen that Lucy and Ricky video clip, hilarious. That certainly resembles some of my initial parking attempts.

My only thread contribution is to also mention orange marker cones. I bought a set of four at WalMart and used them backing in to our site here at Lake Tahoe Wednesday. Having the sight line where the DW wanted the Trailer placed allowed back-in on this dirt/sand site to take place with much reduced walkie-talkie back and forth.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0225.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	275.2 KB
ID:	286722

I've also been placing a cone over the ProPride stinger to aid visibility on those early-morning hitch-ups. Works well in the rear view camera.

“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Llando88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 08:53 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mer Paddler View Post
Think I'll eat some humble pie.
I seemed to be eating more of this pie the older I get. I like the rope idea, or small orange cone to aim for. You can use a flashlight to light the cone in the dark.

streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 09:58 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Lowe's and HD both sell the smaller cones to mark the path. They're useful for other things too. Like marking off a place where your might konk your head on a awning arm or MH mirror in the dark, or keep an area clear to park your scooter or keep from busting your shin on the hitch.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 11:03 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
All good ideas, I like laying out a rope to mark the lane... It occurs to me I already have 2 25' hoses in my truck, and they'd work well for that.
davloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 11:15 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Superior , Colorado
I have to back my 33' into an angled spot. I get out of the car and look, a whole lot. I also know that, if I keep it about 18" from the other trailer on the streetside, that puts be into the slot just right. A metric like that as a guide can be very helpful.
Most of China
ericpeltier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:23 AM   #34
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
I don't mind when people watch, it's when they 'help' that I mind. Why do people always think you want help even when ya never asked for it?

Usually, I'm not having a problem I'm just bein finicky about my level and placement.

And, yes, get out. All the time. Even with the backup camera. Another thing I do is crouch down and look through the back of the trailer all the way through to the front tires of the truck. This ensures I haven't missed any sneaky obstructions. I've got a friend who parked his Jeep at a campsite to use a bathroom, got back in, drove forward and broke his axle on the bbq he didn't see directly under his bumper.

Always look.
TravlinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:10 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Not getting out to look 'one more time' a couple months ago turned into a $5,200 repair. Humble pie indeed. Saved myself 20 seconds though.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:14 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
It hasn't happened to me ...yet.... but the scariest I've been was realizing I'd completely forgotten to look UP... at the places backing into... Overhangs, bldg. eaves, tree-branches, lamp-post-lighting-fixtures... have nearly crushed the endcap on a couple occasions.... I've just been lucky. (Many rear view cameras lose sight of nearby objects up HIGH...as they're trained downward for their view.)

Beware the HIGH obstructions.
That would be me. So focused on the sides, I misses the low eave sticking out. As mentioned previously--$5,200. GOAL as many times as needed!!
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 08:51 PM   #37
1 Rivet Member

Santa Clara , California
I'm looking into buying an Airstream and this exactly is what I'm most afraid of. I will be traveling alone most of the time and how the heck am I going to be able to back this thing up into or out of spots. Good thread, thanks for ideas.
rawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 10:44 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawman View Post
I'm looking into buying an Airstream and this exactly is what I'm most afraid of. I will be traveling alone most of the time and how the heck am I going to be able to back this thing up into or out of spots. Good thread, thanks for ideas.
Practice, Practice, Practice.
Before I even begin the back up I stop at a reasonable distance away and walk the area and the spot. I mentally replay how to set up for the backing up, see whats in my way, including above and after all that I follow through.
I am a firm believer of learning to use your mirrors and that's where practice comes in. Its great to have all the back up aids but nothing beats learning how to do it by the mirrors. Your brain will learn how to do it.
And yes be patient take it slow and get out of the truck as many times as necessary.
Its like learning a new dance.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 04:38 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Monticello , Florida
I love this response because this is my ENTIRE strategy. I'm constantly hopping out, walking around, and then hopping back in to adjust. I'm getting better at knowing where my corners are, but sometimes you just don't know where your end is unless you look.