Old 01-15-2012, 08:14 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
I'm pretty sure that rear window above the bed doesn't have a window lever because it's the emergency exit window...we have the same set up on our 19'...

AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:14 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Erie , Colorado
Quote:
Finally, I retire in four years. I am not sure if I should consider buying beforehand or wait.
If you discover in five years, God forbid, you have a terminal disease, which will you wish you had done?

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 05:57 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
Olympia , WA
Hi Rodsterinfl. All the responses you got are so right on! What a wealth of knowledge and experience!! I'm sure a lot resonated with you and you will take from that what feels right for you. I love it that you are taking the initiative to travel solo because there is magic out there!! I too, am traveling solo, full-timing in my 16' Bambi Sport after I retired last year. It's the perfect style and size for me and I absolutely love it!!! I went with new because I wanted the assurance ( and the warranty) and I'm not a handyman (and don't have any wonderful men in my life right now, who are). I went with the 16' Sport because of the price and the panoramic windows in the front by the dinette. Those windows are what really sold me! Also, it's got a full size bed in back. I've actually lived in it for about a year (after I rented out my house) and I couldn't be happier!! So my choice, although some people think I'm crazy, is perfect for me.

Like zlee alluded to, we have no idea what the future will bring. There is no guarantee that we even get another moment on this planet. Why not have more joyful moments now?
Old 01-22-2012, 06:28 PM   #18
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Oak Creek , Arizona
When you do figure out which trailer suits your needs, get a tow vehicle with a back up camera, or install one. It makes hitching up alone a breeze.

The Nest Egg - 2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Silverado 2500HD Chevy Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:42 PM   #19

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by zlee

If you discover in five years, God forbid, you have a terminal disease, which will you wish you had done?
I agree! Buy it now, have fun and when you retire you have you're perfect Airstream! My Father retired at 55 and passed away at 68. In my book those extra years were way more fun. Do whats right for you but I bought an Airstream at 41 because life is way too short not to have fun! Enjoy!
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 07:03 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2002 30' Classic
East Central , Alabama
Buy now!
We had a 1993 25' Classic, with twin beds for several years. The twin beds are not comfortable to me @ 6'4". We also felt we out grew the 25' in time.
We now have a 30' Classic with full bed that I can actually stretch out, with feet overhanging a little. The toilet in the 30' is also more comfortable.
In my opinion, go with the 25' with full bed.
We wish you the best in your decision.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:51 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Never have listened to the "buy now just in case you die soon" logic, and certainly wouldn't recommend it to a friend.

doug k
Old 01-22-2012, 09:16 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Erie , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum
Never have listened to the "buy now just in case you die soon" logic, and certainly wouldn't recommend it to a friend.

doug k
But you don't have to. For you, it seems the answer is that you wouldn't have want to have bought a trailer. For someone else, the answer would be different. There's nothing wrong with any answer, just what's right for each person.

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:09 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' International
2015 25' FB International
Milwaukie , Oregon
My two cents...We'd always planned on touring the country in some kind of RV once we retired. Our dream was to visit as many National Parks as we could....I'm 7 years away from retirement still and we decided to go ahead and purchase our first AS this year. We bought a 16ft for now knowing that we'd mainly be using it on weekend adventures...and we're so glad we did! I can't tell you how much we've enjoyed ourselves. It's a catalyst to get out and see and experience the beauty around us.

Best of luck to you whatever you should decide!
Kim

The Small Small Trailer
valmog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:15 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Couple of comments

First, there are no right or wrong answers to these questions; only a set of compromises. I'm usually solo, and the 23 is perhaps the ideal size for me. I've been lots of places I could NOT have gotten a 25 into because of too-sharp angled corners and trees growing in inauspicious places ... then again, I tow with a diesel 4wd pickup, so it won't turn as sharp as a shorter vehicle. (But on the other hand, I can haul literally a ton of stuff in the truck bed.) But when we're two-up, it can get crowded, and more room would almost always be nice.

Like you, I wanted / insisted on two axles. Haven't regretted that decision, except when buying new tires and brakes! And my little 23' has all 39 gallon tanks. When soloing, I can easily boondock for ten days with a little water conservation. Solar panels mean never having to "plug in" when I don't want to, so long as I can live without air conditioning.

I bought my rig used (saved a bunch of $ that way, but it was a long search) three years before retirement, so I could try it out, make any mods I wanted while I had plenty of cash flow still to do it, and be ready to head out when the good day came. Have never regretted the decision, and after lots of minor modifications and after many thousands of miles of towing over the past three years, I'm ready to go anywhere.

In the end, you've got to live in it, not the rest of the forum, so only you can decide what's best for you! I heartily second the recommendation that you go to a rally or two and tour a bunch of coaches - it is THE fastest way to see what they're really like inside when filled up with the stuff one needs or wants for travel. Lots of little modifications folks make also to make life on the road better. You'll learn a terrific amount in just a day. Good luck with a really fun set of decisions.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:50 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB International
Mobile , Alabama
We have a 31' Excella and are seriously considering downsizing to a 25 footer. DH has driven a Nissan pickup for many, many years and he is not enjoying the big Dodge necessary to tow the AS. Gas prices for the truck are also a consideration. So, think about the tow vehicle, too.
WBCCI #10360
Member Southeastern Camping Unit
Bettye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 04:30 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
This has been so helpful. I am still favoring the 25 but one post mentioned the 25's focus on dinette with concern over TV viewing. That was a good one and something I noticed when I was sitting in the 23C with the TV on the platform (chest) facing the couch. I like both trailers very much. There is a 25FB twin at the dealer that they are asking $55 for, a 2011. The 23' models are 2012 and more expensive. I also am still working on getting the truck paid off so I have some time. I would really like to get a good used one. Another very interesting trailer was the 20' with the big galley but I really like the open feel of the 23C and the 25FBT. If anyone hears of a good deal on one of these, let me know. I heard that someone on the forum bought a 25FBT for $50K but I cannot find the post.

Buying used, how long is the floor good in an AS on average, with normal use?
Old 02-03-2012, 04:51 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
This has been so helpful. I am still favoring the 25 but one post mentioned the 25's focus on dinette with concern over TV viewing. That was a good one and something I noticed when I was sitting in the 23C with the TV on the platform (chest) facing the couch. I like both trailers very much. There is a 25FB twin at the dealer that they are asking $55 for, a 2011. The 23' models are 2012 and more expensive. I also am still working on getting the truck paid off so I have some time. I would really like to get a good used one. Another very interesting trailer was the 20' with the big galley but I really like the open feel of the 23C and the 25FBT. If anyone hears of a good deal on one of these, let me know. I heard that someone on the forum bought a 25FBT for $50K but I cannot find the post.

Buying used, how long is the floor good in an AS on average, with normal use?
I remember reading the same post, in the last few months, about $50K for a new 25FBT. I have also read that folks say discounts as high as 20% off of MSRP are not that uncommon. We bought ours well used, so I have no first hand information to offer except that we love our 25B.

Good luck in your shopping.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:56 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Because cabins are small, placement of a TV is difficult and not everyone can see it easily.

In ours, the curbside of the dinette has a clear view, but not the streetside when we are eating. After dinner, the occupant of the streetside can lie on the seat and face the TV. In units with a side dinette, only one seat faces the TV.

If you look through Airstreams and other brands, there is really no solution in many floorplans. I have seen ones with a TV at each end of main cabin so everyone can watch. In models with the dinette at one end, you can remove it, put in lounging chairs and a small table, and both will face a TV. Or, get two small TV's and mount them, back to back, under the overhead cabinet and over the dinette table. Even stranger, would be mirrors to reflect the TV picture.

Gene