Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Solo Streamers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-02-2014, 07:42 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Shut up and Solo

After waiting a life time for the right man to come along, I've launched my own "Shut up and Solo" adventure. I'm a single 40-something woman who is ready to travel, debt free (save the debts to my cats and society). I'll be wintering in Colorado - my home base and home state - and I am super excited to hear about your solo adventures. I am thinking of going to Austin first.

boomlasec
boomlasec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Welcome to the forum.

Lots of information here and literally tons of opinions. There is a lot of weeding in the information garden to find the carrot versus the weeds.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:13 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
Austin sounds warm.

A forum regular " thecatsandi " ran solo 2006 on for two years plus and has some great posts, find threads 'started by' to read some positive threads, even counting A little adventure into a big one.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:56 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Perry , Florida
If you go to Austin, be sure to consider the "Pecan Grove" RV park. It is the perfect venue for enjoying a truly remarkable city.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:47 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
alstonville , nsw
AUSTIN -you go girl
G"DAY Boomlasec we fly /drive / bus /taxi just to get back over to AUSTIN each year. Lovely people ,great funky -trendy shopping and cool dining spots ( MAGNOLIA CAFE on south congress ) after dancing all night at THE BROKEN SPOKE , we always feel very safe and oh yer heaps of AIRSTREAMS . Hope to read about your adventures and pictures , as Snedwid says 'a truly remarkable city ....LIVE THE DREAM
aussiebambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 05:26 AM   #6
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
As a fellow soloist, welcome! The great thing about traveling solo is that you can always invite someone over to your campsite if you want company, but don't have to drive anyone away if you want privacy.

The downside to traveling solo is that you can't defer chores to anyone else; you've got to do it all yourself. This is most noticeable— I think— while en route, because you've got to be both driver and navigator. A GPS with a voice that doesn't drive you nuts is your friend, because it's difficult (and dangerous) to read paper maps while driving.

Anyway, my solo adventures haven't been all that adventurous, yet. Since I still work for a living, I get away for a long weekend for most Federal holidays, and take whatever vacation time I can manage. I mostly go to state parks and CoE campgrounds, so far, with an occasional stop at a private campground.

My most "adventurous" trip to date was to Lake Dardanelle, at Russellville, Arkansas. An eleven-hour drive one-way, by way of Scenic Byway 7. Sadly, I can't really tell if Scenic Byway 7 is all that scenic; I didn't dare look away from that twisty one-and-a-half-lane road long enough to admire the view! And there were no good places to pull over and stop, either; I had to pull into some farmer's driveway just to let all of the speed demons stuck behind me get past.

I also attend rallies with one of the local WBCCI units whenever all those retirees in my Units are nice enough to schedule a rally when I can get off work, which they don't do often. I'm not the only solo Airstreamer in my WBCCI units (I belong to two units), but I am the only male solo Airstreamer in my units, and the only one who still punches a timeclock. So far, my favorite WBCCI rally has been my local unit's annual Angola Prison Rodeo Rally. One of my Units does a mix of rallies and caravans, the other (smaller) unit does rallies exclusively.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:44 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Good for you!

Have a great time.

Maggie
Old 01-03-2014, 07:52 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
Telluride , Colorado
Sounds like fun!
purdiferis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:28 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Welcome to the forum!
Old 01-03-2014, 08:48 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1999 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Marietta , Georgia

You may also want to look into Sisters on the Fly a women's camping group. I went to a rally with the CO group last year outside of RMNP. There were 70 women there. Very nice, very fun bunch of women. Do a search on sisters on the fly. You can join some of the different region groups once you have signed up and get your sister number. I belong to a few of the regional groups and theydo some fun things!
karenjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:09 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Thanks, everyone, for the super warm responses and information! I am so excited I don't know where to begin.
boomlasec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 05:54 AM   #12

2014 19' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
I bought my Airstream in Oct and my dogs and I have been flying solo all over Texas! I have taken it on six weekend trips alone and then twice with family. Love it either way! Fun to share, also fun to be on an adventure solo! I am planning a couple of cross country trips this year and can't wait!

Austin is the greatest destination. That is where I am right now, hanging out in my Airstream in my driveway!
fancypants is offline   Reply With Quote