Old 01-04-2013, 07:49 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
1974 Argosy 26
Youngsville , North Carolina
Karenshere
Is your diveway sloped up or down? If down and the slope is severe you may not be able to get the AS into driveway, as the trailer tongue/hitch will bottom out as you back in. If Up slope you may bottom out rear bumper and frame. Neither senario is good. Be sure to have an extra set of eyes watching as you back in.
PS WELCOME !!
Steve

Old 01-04-2013, 09:37 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Not with hydraulic. The pump shuts off after 20 seconds, and a hold solenoid retains hydraulic pressure until 12 volts is removed.
True, but I don't think Airstreams had hydraulic brakes from the factory in 1962.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:54 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
True, but I don't think Airstreams had hydraulic brakes from the factory in 1962.
I figured you were addressing me....my bad.

But, as usual we start picking apart for the rare exception. I have been parking on that slope for 15 years, between the AS and my old SOB. Never been an issue as described above.

If a trailer slipped off its block and started "hopping" on its jack and then the brakes applied, don't you think a neighbor or someone in the house would notice?

I have heard this "fry the brakes" comment before. Why would it get hot (very hot)? It's just an electromagnet....there's no frictional heat when standing still. I think they get hotter in actual road use than sitting while applied.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:53 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Other then resistance causing heat I don't know why they would produce that much heat.

Andy of InlandRV said many times that the magnets can burnout if applied for more then 5 minutes and in some cases produce enough heat to ruin the temper of the hubs.

Fortunately I don't have any personal experience with this.

As far as someone noticing.
What was that sound?
Look out the window it already stopped.
Nothing left to notice.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:57 AM   #19

1962 24' Tradewind
Belfair , Washington
Thanks for suggestions

Sorry I haven't replied sooner, but just got back from Harbor Freight. And was very happy to find all the good suggestions on my computer. First of all my trailer only has one axle. I did buy chokes, they were the biggest ones there. They have a eye bolt in the end of them, not sure if I can use the bolts, I bought a towing strap with hooks on both ends and two u-shaped brackets, I think they are for tie-downs? they have square slots for the bolts to fit in. It is a upward slope to my house, thought about bolting it to my garage on each side of garage door through studs. My son has had a trailer up there before but on the side of garage. Its flat there but problem now is the neighbor put fence and I planted hedge and gardens and he is going to move it with his extra cab Dodge Ram PU. So, the combine total of 24' trailer and length of truck makes it to tight to get it on the side of garage. If I put it at a storage place that's fine but need electricity to remodel it. Someone suggested a generator! Not sure if they would let me do the work there... Unfortunately I don't have friends that have property, where they would let me use their land. We know we'll have a problem at bottom of hill but my son says he can jack it till he gets it so it won't hit the bumper. I really appreciate all the good advise and will let you know how it goes. I'm SCARED.....
Old 01-05-2013, 08:06 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Riverside , California
I buried a 3/4 inch diameter U-bolt in a footing before I laid my trailer pad.It is the safest anchor you could ever build and has been used as a winch anchor.
Without knowing the degree of the slope it's all just guess work.
2015 Toyota Tacoma trd 4x4
2000 Jeep Wrangler 4x4
Bob4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:35 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
How about putting a front hitch on the truck to maneuver the trailer into the flat part next to the garage?
Old 01-05-2013, 10:51 AM   #22

1962 24' Tradewind
Belfair , Washington
Thank you might have to do that
Old 01-05-2013, 01:19 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
You could build ramps that set level on the driveway. Back the trailer up the drive, then slip the ramps in front of the trailer tires. Then pull the trailer forward onto the ramps. The ramps would have to be good and solid, as well as long enough for all tires and room for chocks. The front chocks could be built into the ramps.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:49 PM   #24

1962 24' Tradewind
Belfair , Washington
Twinkle.... That's a good Idea..... Thank You!