Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Solo Streamers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-28-2012, 09:15 AM   #21

Currently Looking...
bangladesh , California
I stand out in a crowd as it is.. might as well have matching accessories for a complete package. Maybe that way upon our paths crossing they might be a little mesmerized until they realize that Im just some kinda dingy good looking rich guy. At that point I think I would be more flying below THERE radar screen then being mismatched with a dumpy ride.
I suppose the Benz would go over in Europe a little smoother..any suggestion on a domestic import of equal stature would be cool. Normal indeed lol.
thatsme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:27 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
If you are going for the conspicuous consumption thing how about a Hummer. Not the little H3 but a full blown over sized and over priced H1. You will definitely stand out in any crowd with one of those things.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:32 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Normal people buy Airstreams ???
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:42 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
Murdered out Escalade. Much easier just to have them fear you. That is the way I roll.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:53 AM   #25
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
If you are going for the conspicuous consumption thing how about a Hummer. Not the little H3 but a full blown over sized and over priced H1. You will definitely stand out in any crowd with one of those things.
You mean the H2 and H3 aren't overpriced?

On a more serious note, for thatsme, whatever you choose as a tow vehicle is fine, as long as it's got the right towing capacity and the right towing equipment. Towing an Airstream in itself is something of an attention-getter, so you might as well give up on the whole "under the radar" idea. If you got it, flaunt it. If a Mercedes Benz GL450 SUV is your ideal tow vehicle, go for it. No matter what you choose, there will be someone on the Forums to poke fun at you for the choice. We don't mean anything by it; just poke fun right back at'em.

If you put three Airstreamers together, you'll get four different opinions on what's the best tow vehicle. Opinions vary that widely, so depending on who you ask, either there's no wrong answer, or every answer is wrong.

On a lighter note, why is it that people who want to express their individuality seem to do it the same way as everyone else?
Old 11-28-2012, 11:39 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Actually the price/value of the H3 (of course used only, they no longer make them) has come down considerably. The monster 1st generation prices are still way up there. Nothing says conspicuous consumption like an H1.
Of course if his heart is set on a Mercedes he could get one of these and really stand out in a crowd:

G550 - Starting price currently is about $113,000.00

If I won the mega lottery I would place my order for one to pull my new EB Airstream that I also would placing an order for.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:41 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
I'm glad to hear Protagonist speak up for the Benz. I know someone who tows a Caravel with one. And a Tradewind with a Cayenne. There are many choices and some clear design necessities when choosing a smaller tow vehicle. One challenge often is finding a good aftermarket Class III hitch receiver. I'd recommend reading any posts by Andy Thomson of Can-Am RV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist
On a lighter note, why is it that people who want to express their individuality seem to do it the same way as everyone else.
Give it enough time. I'm the only person I know still wearing bellbottoms and long hair. Airstreams too will pass.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:55 AM   #28
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream View Post
I'm the only person I know still wearing bellbottoms and long hair.
I kind of miss bellbottoms. Even though my bottom is becoming more bell-shaped as I get older. Bellbottoms had the distinct advantage that they were easy to roll up to the knees when you had to wade (which happens OFTEN in New Orleans thunderstorms, our drainage system is so bad). They slipped down over the tops of cowboy boots easily, too.

Don't miss the long hair, though. Baldpate is soooo much easier to wash!
Old 11-28-2012, 02:37 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream View Post

Give it enough time. I'm the only person I know still wearing bellbottoms and long hair. Airstreams too will pass.
Wow, go NAVY ... they are now letting you have long hair ??? LOL
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote