Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2017, 09:17 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
2008 16' International
Forest Knolls , California
New Solo Streamer

This fall I've recently become a Solo Streamer. Lost my love after a great life together. So now wondering about going forward and looking for some encouragement from those who've walked this path before. The club rallies have been great but it's all been couples and a few interesting and brave singles. Maybe that's the way forward to be the interesting single? i don't think i'm ready to be a full-timer although that does have it's attractions, but grandkids and all those connections seem to want to keep me based closer to them. Just getting used to the single life now. Club activities seem more welcoming compared to just heading out on my own and wandering around the RV park by myself! Any thoughts from fellow Solo Streamers?
Jmacd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 04:50 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
I'm sorry for your loss, some good reading and maybe joining the conversation can be had at

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...ii-133171.html

Best of luck with the new adventure
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 05:05 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
I agree with RandyNH. Maggie's threads have been very helpful to me as I've transitioned to the solo life. Like Maggie, I go camping with my dog.

Get out, make friends, camp with friends when possible. RV people are a friendly bunch, and it's sometimes fun to visit with the neighbors.

Camp with grandkids any time it's possible. No better fun than that.

It's a one day at a time sort of thing, but life goes on and we must go with it.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 05:16 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I’m sorry for your loss, and welcome to the Forums.

It’s a process, learning to enjoy travel by yourself, but it can be done.

Good luck to you.

Maggie
Old 11-12-2017, 08:30 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
2008 16' International
Thanks for the replies. I wasn't aware of Maggie's earlier thread so I look forward to reading it. Each day is different right now. Getting used to the single life, picking up the tasks that my wife did. Cooking is the big one! I haven't yet hitched up the trailer and headed off to one of our spots, but i do have our traditional New Years trip to the coast with friends on the calendar so that'll be the first "solo streamer" adventure to ease me into the new way of things. Still early days yet. Had some nice notes from my local Region 12 NorCal friends so looking forward the the 2018 rally schedule.

Jim
Old 03-30-2018, 05:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
Come to myrtle beach...Im just beginning to travel and will be travelling solo. After the myrtle rally, I'm heading to Texas. My biggest concern travelling alone is boondocking which I do want to do, but I'm all for full hook up at a nice campground too. I hope to meet many other solo travelers. So sorry for your loss, btw.
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 04:52 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
2008 16' International
Myrtle beach sounds great! I'm planning a trip to tour Jackson Center and then keep heading east and up into Canada and the Maritimes. I have family history there to check out. But another trip southeast and down into Florida and the Keys is also in the planning queue. Just got back from Phoenix and some Spring Training baseball and passed through Quartzite AZ. Lots of boondocking opportunities there in the desert. I usually camp in county or state parks and private RV parks. Never boondocked. So something else new to check out!
Old 04-01-2018, 06:14 PM   #8
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
I, like you, am recently widowed and learning to live solo. Traveling solo isn’t any harder than living alone. Sometimes it can be lonely but not always. Most of the time I have thoroughly enjoyed myself while traveling but in my heart my husband is taking every mile with me and I have my 2 little fur-kids to keep me company. At first it was really hard going anywhere where couples were, ie., restaurants, friends homes, occasional parties etc but it is getting better. Your world will never be like it was but it can still be fun and full of traveling to see new places and going back to your favorite sites. It’ll just be different. Because it’s just me, it does take me longer to set up and break down than it does for a couple but still very doable. I have met several solo RVERS in the last year so it’s not terribly unusual. There is a noticeable pause when checking into a new campground when they ask how many adults but I’ve kinda gotten used to it. So if you’re asking should you travel solo, yes, you should. As stated earlier, most RV folks are very friendly and have been very supportive. I usually make my phone calls to friends and family in the evening because the nights are always the hardest.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 09:43 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
2008 16' International
Hi Laurie, so true about setup and takedown routines taking a bit longer. I really notice not having my co-pilot with me when backing into a campsite. I need to get out a few more times to make sure I'm where I want to be! I love driving and that is a blessing, nice long stretches to reflect and have some quiet focused time. i often just leave the radio and I-Pod off. I also noticed on my last trip to Phoenix that I was a little more social and made sure to say hello to my fellow campers and chat a bit. And that's good thing. I also find that traveling with my two small dogs is nice way to connect with people and gives me some familiar routine while on the road.
Old 04-04-2018, 06:07 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
There are a fair number of folks out there traveling alone, and successfully, in all kinds of rigs, so fear not....take a deep breath, be grateful you are able, and just do it.

Boondocking is at first a leap of faith, in my opinion, and best begun in small, overnight doses.

It is exceedingly handy to know you can just pull over somewhere, and be completely self sufficient, and I think that having that knowledge base in place enhances our own sense of safety and well-being when traveling.

Enjoy!

Maggie
Old 04-04-2018, 08:20 AM   #11
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Completely agree with Maggie. Traveling solo is very doable and can be lots of fun. You are not ever really alone, you have the forum to get information and help, just know your limitations. Traveling with furkids does make it much better, I talk to mine all day and they seem to understand.
If you start to get tired then call it a day. A little planning ahead is always good. Make sure your rig is safe and take your time. I use printed check list to make sure I have done everything and checked everything twice. If you forget to do something you can’t blame it on the other person. I start my checklist the day before departure by checking tire pressure, lug nuts, hitch inspection, systems check, any signs of leaks and the like. I usually don’t make reservations until the day I intend to be somewhere and always give location, routes and destination to at least two trusted friends just in case. I have pre-arrange times to contact friends, I use 7:00pm because I am off the road for the day, checked into the campground and all set up for the night, if they don’t hear from me then they know something is wrong and I’ll know help is coming. I always make sure I have enough supplies, water, food, OTC medicine, first aid kit, emergency roadside kit to be able to survive on the road for at least 24-48 hours if something should go wrong. I am considering getting a second cell phone with a different provider but haven’t looked into that yet to reduce dead zones.
I actually have enjoyed driving alone much more than I thought I would. Like others have said it’s time that I use to just think, quietly and be grateful for what I have and just enjoy the time, the scenery look forward to what lies ahead.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 08:49 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Davis , Texas
Jmacd,

I also now live alone. One of my concerns about solo remote camping, with my dog, was "what if something happens", I'm in my 70's and you never know. I got a great device called Spot that is a Satellite based GPS tracking and emergency communications system. The device is only about $150.00 and the air time charges are about $200-$300 per year. Pretty cheap for peace of mind. He is the URL to one source: https://www.westmarine.com/buy/spot-...nger--14628093

Pat
pdavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 09:36 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have done some remote camping/Boondocking, but never by myself.

I worry not so much for me, but for Lily being without care if something happened to me.

Maggie
Old 04-07-2018, 07:46 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
2008 16' International
Great suggestions. I do need to start checking in daily with family to let them know my status. To that issue, I've been reluctant to do any day long hiking/biking which I love to do, now that I'm alone. If I get in trouble, getting help is problematic and as mentioned, I can't put my dogs at risk because I'm delayed getting back. The safety beacon GPS is another excellent idea. Widely used now by wilderness hikers. I need to purchase one. Life is about unexpected change as we all know so well. Better planning reduces risks without taking away the fun of travel!
Old 04-07-2018, 07:49 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
2008 16' International
I should have said, "As Maggie said..." Lily is the furry travel partner! But I'm sure if she could talk she would have agreed!
Old 04-07-2018, 08:10 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
If you do head my way, myrtle beach, let me know... can meet half way and explore midwest. It looks like with this forum, you are never alone...just on a journey to meet your next friend. Im excited! Will go to myrtle beach rally, then to Texas, then not sure... open road!
Old 04-08-2018, 04:30 AM   #17
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
I'm back to traveling solo, just me and my cat, Sylvia, after the recent disastrous and far too dramatic breakup with my now-ex-fiancée. And I think I prefer it this way.

It's a whole lot easier to invite someone along when I want company or need help than it would be to leave someone behind when I want privacy.

I've never boondocked longer than overnight, partly as a matter of preference and partly because my Interstate would need more modifications than I could ever afford on my retirement income before it would have suitable endurance for boondocking for even 24 hours straight. That's not what Interstates are built for, after all. There's a very good reason they're called Airstream "Interstates" and not Airstream "Back Roads"!

As a veteran of six years of nearly always solo traveling (my ex-fiancée only accompanied me on just three camping trips, ever), I can say with a great deal of certainty that if you can handle being at home alone, you can handle being on the road alone, too. Being self-sufficient means never having to say you're sorry, because there's no one to say it to!

As for making sure my cat is protected while I'm solo, I have a small GPS tracker attached to her collar in case she gets out of my apartment or motorhome that I can track on my smartphone, a microchip between her shoulder blades so shelters and vets can identify her if found and turned in by a stranger who doesn't want to keep her, my contact information on one of her collar tags, and a wallet card sandwiched in between my driver's license and my medical insurance card that identifies contact information for a pre-designated alternate pet caregiver who will fetch my cat and care for her in case I'm somehow incapacitated either at home or on the road. I've done everything I can think of to make sure that if something happens to my pet or to me, that she will be taken care of.
Old 04-12-2018, 05:52 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Protagonist, what gps tracker did you get for your cat. I've been thinking of getting one since I will be travelling with my cat. Thanks
Old 04-13-2018, 01:39 AM   #19
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansderm161 View Post
Protagonist, what gps tracker did you get for your cat. I've been thinking of getting one since I will be travelling with my cat. Thanks
This one: https://www.podtrackers.com/
Old 04-13-2018, 02:29 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Pets are a great way to meet people. If you have a obedient dog you'll meet a couple people at the campground. A dog that doesn't listen, and is hard to catch like a greased pig....you'll meet everyone.
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote