Old 09-17-2011, 01:16 PM   #85
1 Rivet Member

2012 19' Flying Cloud
McMinnville , Oregon
Re: Marital advice.

John, how I wish I still had that partner who responded, as you do, to my hand signals so well. I would much prefer to still be in that position than to be in the position of doing my own backing and hitching up solo. But, I'd rather have to learn how to do this alone than to not have my AS at all! Thank your lucky stars you have that wonderful partner to travel with.

Old 09-19-2011, 12:18 PM   #86
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
San Diego , California
Thanks for the note, caper2. We do indeed have lucky stars.

Old 09-19-2011, 03:24 PM   #87
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Last Thursday, it was raining when we went to hitch up. My wife? "You can do it yourself tomorrow morning." LOL

Unfortunately I damaged one of the 'antennas' on the telescoping balls by bending it while trying to close it. Be careful with those - I didn't have my hand very far from a joint and it still bent! Someone at the rally over the weekend said they managed to do the same thing.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 03:35 PM   #88

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspafford View Post
Now I understand the appeal of solo hitching (in another discussion this would be an oxymoron.) You've all extolled the advantages of hitch balls, backup cameras and buzzers, flags, tape, and toe marks in the dirt. All this as a means to avoid the obvious - teamwork with your partner.

~~
You have a generally valid point that it's important to have a standard of communication with your partner so you can help each other with hitching and parking, and that's all constructive and nice.

That said, it can also be important to be able to hitch and/or park solo, and that may require a few gadgets and tricks. Sometimes my partner isn't around to help me fetch the Argosy from storage or return it there, and this past weekend I went camping on my own (because he was working all weekend.)

I use a mirror that stands on the A-frame and extends high enough for me to see the coupler and the space 3-4 feet ahead of it, it's worked out quite well. It just reduces the number of times I have to Get Out And Look, though. And I used the GOAL method for parking solo as well. Not the fastest, but it's reliable!

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:54 PM   #89
4 Rivet Member

1995 34' Excella
Corinth , Mississippi
The new TV has back up camera mounted on the tailgate which makes hooking up a breeze. It gives a good view of the hitch ball as well as the trailer tongue so that most of the time i can back up and drop it right in place. I really like towing with the new 2011 F-250. It makes pulling an airstream a real dream.
TAC # MS-8
Hodum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 07:44 PM   #90
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Dallas , Texas
Am a big fan of the tennis ball system, and obviously, GOAL lol

the temptation to just push on the tennis balls to collapse the telescoping antenna MUST be avoided.

on the other hand i seem to keep putting dent in the telescoping rods by backing into them because they won't sit on top of the hitch coupler exactly

i was able to connect solo the other night in less than 20 minutes....
Old 11-21-2011, 08:41 PM   #91
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Albuquerque , New Mexico
I use a periscope I salvaged from an old U-boat. Cut a hole in the roof and ran it horizontal along the top of the truck, pointing straight down at the hitch. The only problem is I can't see too well because the eyepiece doesn't fit my tri-focals, and it gives me a crick in the neck. Plus, the duct tape keeps pulling loose. What am I doing wrong?
Old 11-21-2011, 08:58 PM   #92
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by edglenn View Post
I use a periscope I salvaged from an old U-boat. Cut a hole in the roof and ran it horizontal along the top of the truck, pointing straight down at the hitch. The only problem is I can't see too well because the eyepiece doesn't fit my tri-focals, and it gives me a crick in the neck. Plus, the duct tape keeps pulling loose. What am I doing wrong?
Cut a hole in the floor and run it underneath since its easier to look down, and save your neck. It easier to get the tri-focal lined up that way too.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:18 PM   #93
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
This works pretty good on a pickup. It sits on the tailgate, mirror is about 9" in diameter, provides a good view of ball and coupler. I put a flat mirror on the flip side and used it so that objects didn't appear smaller. The 1st time I used it, it took a bit of adjusting to get the angle on the mirror right. I scribed a line in the plastic so each time I just had to set it on the tailgate and rotate the mirror to match the mark. The whole thing folds flat for storage. CIPA 11955
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1401883752.png
Views:	88
Size:	176.5 KB
ID:	145762  
Old 02-01-2012, 12:03 PM   #94
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
San Bernardino , California
worked like a charm

After reading this thread, I also got the Harbor Freight tennis balls-on-antennas device.

Magnetic Trailer Alignment Kit

It worked perfectly! I was centered exactly over the ball, having followed the instructions to the letter. I recommend you read them. I started to do it the way I thot it should go, and would not have done it so easily.

Also, as they recommend, before hitching up you use one of the antennas to measure the height of your TW hitch ball so you know how high to raise the trailer hitch cup. This set up works so well I wouldn't even replace it with a camera.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:24 AM   #95
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich of SCal View Post
After reading this thread, I also got the Harbor Freight tennis balls-on-antennas device.

Magnetic Trailer Alignment Kit

It worked perfectly! I was centered exactly over the ball, having followed the instructions to the letter. I recommend you read them. I started to do it the way I thot it should go, and would not have done it so easily.

Also, as they recommend, before hitching up you use one of the antennas to measure the height of your TW hitch ball so you know how high to raise the trailer hitch cup. This set up works so well I wouldn't even replace it with a camera.
Well, I've used this method solo several times now and I can't see how even a camera could be better. The most I have been off is less than 1/2 inch, which the tongue self-corrects as it is lowered. It is actually better than having someone help you.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:31 AM   #96
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goal15 View Post
Am a big fan of the tennis ball system, and obviously, GOAL lol

the temptation to just push on the tennis balls to collapse the telescoping antenna MUST be avoided.

on the other hand i seem to keep putting dent in the telescoping rods by backing into them because they won't sit on top of the hitch coupler exactly

i was able to connect solo the other night in less than 20 minutes....
20minutes? Are you stopping for coffee? Lol. 2to5 minutes is my range for hookup and less than 10 more to carefully attach all my bars and chains. But the backup is the easiest/quickest part. I put one antenna on the hitch ball and the other on the flat top of the tongue jack. Sits pretty stable there. Works like a charm.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:31 AM   #97
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Erie , Colorado
GOAL, here, so far. I did ask if I should get one of the tennis ball things, and my dealership said, "well, you can if you want, but why expect failure?" I usually get it right with three or less tries, usually more like 2.

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:34 AM   #98
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by zlee View Post
GOAL, here, so far. I did ask if I should get one of the tennis ball things, and my dealership said, "well, you can if you want, but why expect failure?" I usually get it right with three or less tries, usually more like 2.
That's pretty good. But I'll settle for ONE try everytime.

Tags
hitching, solo