Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Solo Streamers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-22-2012, 01:11 PM   #101
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
TBH, no, you don't know exactly where you are -- you know where the tennis balls are. My dealership's point was that I needed to learn precisely where the edges of my vehicle were at all times. GOAL isn't superseded by this, of course--the good pro truck drivers still get out and look, and they're usually quite good at knowing where their edges are.

It's easier and faster initially to use them, of course, but they don't help you learn your vehicle, which is my goal. Not saying it has to be everyone's!

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 01:22 PM   #102
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up How high the HAHA help...

This helps get it rite the first time with the Hensley....

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	July Forth trip To Cold Brook 017.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	449.7 KB
ID:	151700   Click image for larger version

Name:	July Forth trip To Cold Brook 018.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	429.3 KB
ID:	151701  

Old 03-28-2012, 09:08 AM   #103
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
I just open the the tailgate on the tahoe which kind of gives me a huge rear camera. I have a hensley so I leave the height figured out and I hit it most times on the first try.
Dan
Old 04-01-2012, 09:57 AM   #104
1 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
Columbia , South Carolina
I have a Chevy Avalanche with the backup camera, I can do this by myself, takes a bit of practice. But a buddy of mine recommends the Quick Bite. He and his wife are fulltimers, but they love this device and it works really well. It is on my shopping list right now. Lippert Components, Inc Shopping Cart
SlvrParachut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:49 PM   #105
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Eugene , Oregon
The Suburban came with a backup camera that displays on the nav screen. It means that even a total newbie like me can do it on the first try... and that's with the kids screaming and/or watching tv in the back.
phbarnhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:59 AM   #106
3 Rivet Member

2000 23' Safari
Vero Beach , Florida
If you don't have a backup camera you can purchase one. Some are quite inexpensive (I think I paid less than $70) and easy to install, usually they attach to the license plate frame. I painted the ball receiver on the trailer white so it would show up on the camera. Works really well.
mhilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:26 PM   #107
Traveler

1964 19' Globetrotter
Comox , British Columbia
This is the B/U camera I use - works great
iBall Hitch Camera | The Best Wireless Trailer Hitch Camera
64GlobeTrotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:15 PM   #108
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
I hitched and unhitched about 50 times since April. I am alone 90%!of time, i have a packed car which leaves me with just side mirrors. My quickest hitch was four times in and out of car to check....my record 22 times...i don't get flustered, just work thru the steps so it is all done in a safe way. I never chit chat with anyone while I hitch either, I like to keep focused.
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:44 PM   #109
Capt W

2013 31' Classic
Jefferson , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 64GlobeTrotter View Post
This is the B/U camera I use - works great
iBall Hitch Camera | The Best Wireless Trailer Hitch Camera
Our prior ASs had Reese hitches and I hitched solo using the GOAL method. I could get quite close by aligning centerline points on the TV with the center of the propane locker. Final approach was with the driver's door open and site how much further back I needed to go.

Sometimes I got in and out a couple times, other times it might six or seven (most often when it was raining).

Our new AS has a Hensley which is a lot more demanding. The GOAL approach still worked, but it was almost always 5 or more times out of the TV to check alignment.

Now I use the iBall. Inexpensive and easy to use. As a bonus, even with my 31' Classic, I can use it to back into a campsite. It's not large HD video screen, but it gets the job done.

Welcome aboard, Mary Joan, the Tin Wheeler

https://www.tinwheel.blogspot.com
wrochdvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 04:45 PM   #110
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I have a backup Cabrera now. No sweat. Before I had a backup camera I would back with equal amount of trailer visible in my rear view mirror on the left and on the right to get the hitch ball centered to the coupler. A good way to judge this was the inside edges of the rock guards and the sides of the front window of the trailer. To get an idea of when to stop while backing is to remember where in relationship to your propane tank cover the top edge of the tailgate is (just below the black lid) in your rear view mirror. I could get it pretty close only having to move one way or the other a few inches. The backup camera makes you get it right the first time every time. Just back until the ball disappears under the coupler in your monitor.
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:05 AM   #111
AlaskaSafari

1997 25' Safari
Fairbanks , Alaska
Send a message via MSN to AlaskaSafari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondocker View Post
That is almost exactly what I do. It is really pretty easy once you do it enough to get a baseline on what things should look like. I would add, whenever in the least bit of doubt, get out and look!
Same here. I line the truck up to the front of the trailer as it looks going down the road. I don't have a backup camera in the TV, but it does have proximity sensors front and rear. Judging from how they sound I can tell how close I am, most of the time :P

As with most things, practice makes perfect.

You must live in the present, launch yourself on every wave, find your eternity in each moment... ~ Thoreau
AlaskaSafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:01 PM   #112
1 Rivet Member

2013 22' FB Sport
Huntley , Illinois
I have the camera on my tow vehicle. works like a charm and I travel and hitch by myself
chegard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:23 PM   #113
Capt W

2013 31' Classic
Jefferson , Massachusetts
We "discovered" the I-Ball Backup Camera.

Previously we used magnetic telescoping antennae. But, the Mary Joan III has Hensley and it requires much more accurate alignment. The I-Ball works perfectly. It is inexpensive and requires no permanent installation. I even works fairly well when backing up the trailer, but my side kick is great at giving me signals.

Here is a link to a supplier for the I-Ball, although I paid much less, I think there was a coupon in a Good Sam magazine.
I-Ball IBallBackup Camera, Trailer hitch camera

Welcome aboard, Mary Joan, the Tin Wheeler

https://www.tinwheel.blogspot.com
wrochdvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:41 PM   #114
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
In and out of car anywhere from 4 times to 46 times to check. My packed car prevents me from seeing out the back, and I do not have cameras. I look at it as a huge lesson in patience and sometimes just start laughing at how long it takes. I really do not mind except those times the car rolls just that tiny bit to throw me off. I hitch and unhitch about 60 times a season.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:16 PM   #115
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbb View Post
In and out of car anywhere from 4 times to 46 times to check. My packed car prevents me from seeing out the back, and I do not have cameras. I look at it as a huge lesson in patience and sometimes just start laughing at how long it takes. I really do not mind except those times the car rolls just that tiny bit to throw me off. I hitch and unhitch about 60 times a season.
Love that you can laugh about it!! :-)

I'd be lost without the camera and the "rope trick" from Pahaska here in the forums. I can connect to my ProPride solo, first attempt in less than 5 minutes - I do get out once to be sure the height is perfect.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:29 PM   #116
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
Fresno , California
I have an 08 Tundra with factory back up. Most of the time I can hit the mark the first time.
dougandlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:46 PM   #117
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
I have no idea how I'd manage without my camera. I painted a white stripe on the Hensley's stinger and receiver and usually hit it first or second time round.

Useful, as my wife is usually busy keeping the kids out of harm's way.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 06:26 PM   #118
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
This thread is a three years old but I'll add my method to the mix as well.

First, I will state that I have a visual "issue" with backing the Airstream. It is difficult for me to judge or square off with the rounded corners for some reason. So, aside from hitched up and backing, Hitching/unhitching is easy with good equipment.

When I purchased the AS it came with a hitch that required attaching the weight bars and using a bar to tighten the chains. Backing was simply matching the ball up to the trailer receiver. There was some room for error as the tongue would slide on the ball in a minor adjustment. The work began after raising and lowering the trailer. Now it is different. The propride stinger is less forgiving.

Attach stinger assembly to truck
Attach Swift Hitch Camera to center top of truck rear
Measure height of propride trailer receiver center to center of truck stinger square and adjust height with trailer power jack.
Back truck stinger into propride receiver watching camera
Use bar tool to attach locks and pins to stinger/trailer propride assembly
Use jack to lift truck to set weight bars with power driver and socket on jacks
Lower truck and disengage jack- raise it all the way
Attach safety chain, breakaway and light plug
Remove Camera
Done

***If anyone has pointers for judging straight backing with a rounded side camper let me know. I am not horrible just slow. The storage garage door width is only 8" wider than the stream (4"each side) and it always is a challenge to get it going straight in with no angle. I cannot look at the top of the door/corner of coach to square off so straight in is tuff. One thing that makes it difficult is the space needed to get the truck/trailer straight enough to see using the mirrors. I have to take them off once the truck gets to the door (well, one of them anyway).
Old 01-26-2014, 08:05 PM   #119
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Backing the aerodynamic trailer is easier for me with these steps:
1. Look for something straight- edge of the driveway, fence line, building, etc.
2. Line the length of the trailer up with the straight reference down low, like tire and black bottom of trailer trim line-
3. Back the trailer in lining up the bottom with the reference point.
In campgrounds I like to be all the way to the edge of the pad on the Driver's side allowing more room where the entry door and steps are.
A straight edged camp site is easier to back into.
If the edge of the camp,site is wavy or crooked I have trouble.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:09 AM   #120
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I have light-colored and a dark colored ropes that I use to beck into my ProPride hitch. There is a magnet on one end and a weight on the other end. I use a rope to back into my storage space because the huge motorhome next door blocks my view of the posts until I am committed.

I have also used my ropes to back into parking spots. I got this idea at a rally where the parkers would lay out a rope to guide backing. Ropes are visible in the mirrors and it is real easy to tell where the trailer is headed. I can stick one of my magnets on the service pedestal and use my own ropes when I need guidance.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitching, solo