Old 09-08-2011, 10:35 AM   #71
jm2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
1977 20' Argosy 20
northern valley , new jersey
clearly spoiled

practice makes perfect. I dare say, that on a flat spot, I learned how to generally hit it on the first or second try....

as mentioned before, a good walk & look around first is always a great idea.

in any not flat, or turned position, we also have a Swift Hitch camera that works pretty well.

but now, am clearly now quite spoiled - the built in backup camera in the new TV is excellent (but we always do the walk and look first!)

best,

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci.

WBCCI 2087 - AIR 3144 - TAC-NJ2

http://defendwally.org/
jm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:43 AM   #72
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Navigation wiith huge backup camera screen.

Life is good.

SHane

"Stay Thirsty My Friends"

Tow Vehicle" 2011 Superduty Diesel!!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 01:12 PM   #73
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to Airbiscuit Send a message via Yahoo to Airbiscuit
Get out and check the site then decide your approach. I agree. Don't be too proud to get out as many times as you need to, just to see where you are backing and how close you are to obstructions and such.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:47 PM   #74
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
I also use those yellow balls in magnut mounted telescoping radio antenna,sorry its the only way I know how to describe them.I bought mine on sale at Harbor Freight,7 bucks I think.Very valuable. Like someone said,I mount mine on the coupler lip and behind the ball and I put them together until one starts to tip a little and then stop,Im usually rite on.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 12:32 PM   #75
2 Rivet Member

2012 20' Flying Cloud
Hopewell , Virginia
I am just thinking, I do not even have an AS yet, newbie here, but I used to tow a boat before, so, I know what I am getting myself into, still looking for my "new" AS.

Why not using an ipad 2 , it is just a one piece gigantic camera with a gigantic screen pointing the camera at the hitch, should break no sweat:-)
Old 09-16-2011, 12:38 PM   #76
2 Rivet Member

2012 20' Flying Cloud
Hopewell , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcintoshMD
I am just thinking, I do not even have an AS yet, newbie here, but I used to tow a boat before, so, I know what I am getting myself into, still looking for my "new" AS.

Why not using an ipad 2 , it is just a one piece gigantic camera with a gigantic screen pointing the camera at the hitch, should break no sweat:-)
Hmm, the camera is mounted at one of the corner of the ipad, one has to be careful as where is the camera since there is no right side or wrong side for the Ipad 2.

PS>>>>take that back this APPLE people are such genius bunch, the camera is mounted to one of the ipad corner but always capture image as if it was mounted center , just find that out.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:47 PM   #77
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Saline , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethefixit View Post
I also use those yellow balls in magnut mounted telescoping radio antenna,sorry its the only way I know how to describe them.I bought mine on sale at Harbor Freight,7 bucks I think.Very valuable. Like someone said,I mount mine on the coupler lip and behind the ball and I put them together until one starts to tip a little and then stop,Im usually rite on.

Yellow balls on telescoping antenna from Harbor Freight work very well.
Unfortunatley they do no work on my full size van, (door hides the ball from view)
Option 1) have wife or one of kids direct me
Option 2) Line up center of door with center of propane tanks and get out and check multiple times. I also open drivers door and look for mark on ground to estimate how far to back up.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:00 PM   #78
Rivet Master

1981 20' International
Shasta Lake City , California
I'm with "Tiger" in post# 3, I use the magnetic alignment kit from Harbor Freight... And make sure The Bunny is inside, doing something other than trying to help me.

Magnetic Trailer Alignment Kit

Come and see me at: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f185...-71804-60.html
Trex "Airstream Nomad"
Trex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 01:57 PM   #79
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Got one of these I no longer use....PM if interested.

Bob

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but Iím the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC

Step aside Starbucks, this is a job for alcohol.
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 02:15 PM   #80
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
San Diego , California
Marital advice

Now I understand the appeal of solo hitching (in another discussion this would be an oxymoron.) You've all extolled the advantages of hitch balls, backup cameras and buzzers, flags, tape, and toe marks in the dirt. All this as a means to avoid the obvious - teamwork with your partner.

All right. I see you there, flexing your fingers to prepare for a blistering reply! I've read your comments about eye-rolling, useless partners and the attempt-multiplication factor that comes with a team-hitching effort. But please - reconsider!

The basic problem with team-hitching - and marital life in general - is communication. "Left. Left. No, left! John, LEFT!!" Crunch. "Why didn't you turn left?" "I DID turn left!" "Well, it went RIGHT!"

So here's the dilemma. "Left," or "That way," or "A little bit more," are all ambiguous terms. A successful team-hitch requires an agreement on the terms and a goal-oriented focus. Here's our technique.

Position. She's in view from either side mirror, not the center mirror. Don't want to crunch Her. Usually.

No words. Only hand signals, and She's limited to pointing with one hand either left or right as I begin to move in. That point indicates the direction She wants me to move the ball. Once She has me lined up, She stops pointing, and instead holds up both hands apart, like "touchdown." That tells me to stay centered on the current course. She moves her hands together corresponding to my closing distance. Once I'm there, Her hands meet. It's kinda sexy.

Retries are expected. Very few of you brag about first-try hookups. Hookup interruptus. Same with us. Usually the first approach requires a two-palms "stop" signal, and a "go forward" gesture signifying a retry. Good form at this point requires a smile and a shrug. NO EYE-ROLLING!

Goal! Once the ball is under the socket, She gracefully lowers the trailer with a sigh and a smile, and gives me the thumbs up. No words have been exchanged, and there's that post-hookup satisfaction.

Now I admit hitching and backing into parking slots and camping sites is risky. I have straightened the AS rear bumber - twice! My rear CA license plate looks like the San Andreas fault. But - like most things in a partnership - practicing backing up and trying again can keep you going in the right direction.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:42 PM   #81
2 Rivet Member

2012 20' Flying Cloud
Hopewell , Virginia
Anyone know if one could buy the orange baton or orange star wars light saber that the air line use when the plane is approaching the ramp?
Old 09-17-2011, 12:07 AM   #82
64 Globetrotter

1964 19' Globetrotter
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcintoshMD View Post

There's an App for that?....

I have down loaded the app here so I can stay in touch via local coffee shops with an iPAD. So now attach it to the tow hitch... neat.

Got my backup camera fixed (replaced) by Toyota, now it's a cinch.
man7sell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 07:40 AM   #83
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
The barn doors on my Suburban when open, fully clear all the apparatus on the tongue of my Airstream, so I leave them open and can see the ball line up... providing I don't have too much junk in the back of the truck obstructing my view and the back seats are down. Pretty simple.

Sneakinup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:14 AM   #84
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Backup Camera

When we bought our new TV the salesman was telling me all about the backup camera. I was like "aww thats just a bunch of extra junk I'm paying for"....Boy if I only knew. Its a wonderful tool for backing up to the Airstream. Saves many trips from going back and forth to the TV and Airstream.

Mr & Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitching, solo