Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Solo Streamers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-12-2016, 09:49 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Carter Lake , Iowa
Health Emergencies While Solo Airstreamiing

I bought a 2016 FC25 FB in July and am planning to do some snowbirding, beginning around the first of the year. While I'm a single, healthy guy who's only 67, I have this irrational fear of dying while alone, and no one finding my body for two weeks, while my hungry Himalayan cats eat my face off! (Sorry for the visual!)

I've printed out my recent medical history, home address, emergency contact and insurance info; then placed it in a 3 ring binder to be kept in the magazine rack adjacent to the entrance to the AS. I'm interested in the group's practices and opinion of the best course of action in response to a medical emergency - say a heart attack - that occurs in the middle of the night in an RV park half way across the US.

When I'm at home, my cell phone "picks up" my house's GPS coordinates thru use of an ATT Micro-cell device. So a 911 call from home provides the needed info for emergency services. Are there any devices a single traveler can carry to provide an emergency alert to 911, with GPS coordinates?
Old 11-12-2016, 10:13 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
We have used iLife 360, which shows GPS location, as well as the last time the mobile device moved, and the last time the person logged in to the system.
It does, of course, require a friend or loved one to keep an eye on where you are, and what you are doing.
Old 11-12-2016, 10:15 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hmmm....

I don't know about the devices, but I completely understand your thinking.

I don't fear dying these days...and I really think it's important to come to grips with that inevitability, whether you are traveling alone or not...I do fear dying suddenly where Lily would be left without care.

And so, I choose not to camp remotely by myself.

I've done it with groups, and have loved it, but in my estimation she requires only slightly less quality of care than one of the grandchildren, so I would not knowingly put her in a situation where she wouldn't be found for days or weeks or longer.

Even when boondocking, I stay where I can be found and her barks would be heard.

Make peace with whatever higher power you believe in, use common sense, and get out there and enjoy traveling this beautiful country.

Good luck,

Maggie
Old 07-28-2017, 05:57 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Eugene , OR
Solo emergency

My iphone provides my GPS data to dispatch if I call 911.
When I'm on the road alone, I have a "travel buddy" agreed to beforehand, and we check in on the phone every day.
If you have an iphone and are friendly with someone you trust, there's a nifty little app (free from Apple) called "find my iphone." The other person can find your phone from either their iphone or from their computer, updated to the minute with exactly where that phone is. They can even make it ring remotely (an alarm sound) in case you have lost it. The phone, I mean.
KellyAndersson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 07:33 PM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
I use a phone app (for either iPhone or Android) called "GeoZilla." That lets members of a "circle" track each other in real time as long as the phone's GPS is on.

A nice feature is that they just came out with a GPS device called a Pod (not an iPod!), that you can attach to a pet's collar, so you can use GeoZilla to track your pets, too, using the same app.

I have two circles set up, one that contains me and my brother, the other containing me and my goddaughter's family— they are fellow Airstreamers as well as living a lot closer to me than my brother does. All members of a given circle can track each other, but members of overlapping circles can't track anyone outside their own circle.

You can also include "friends" who aren't members of a circle, that you track individually. You can track each of your friends, each of your friends can track you, but your friends can't track each other unless they get added to a circle with each other.

Display is either map, satellite, or hybrid. You can set alert "zones." My brother never travels; I set a zone around his house for a radius of 3 miles, the largest zone available. If he ever goes outside the zone, I get an alert when he leaves the zone and when he returns. He hardly ever leaves it. For my goddaughter's family, I set an alert zone of 100 feet radius around their home, and one 200 feet in radius around my goddaughter's school.

For my indoor cat, there is a zone 100 feet in radius around my apartment, and I will set a new zone every time I go to a campsite, in case the cat gets out of the motorhome. I'll have to erase that zone when I break camp and set up a new zone when I make camp at the next stop, but it's worth the effort to let me find a wayward pet.

On a completely different note, I have an app on my Android phone called "ICE (In Case of Emergency) Standard." I used it to record all of my pertinent medical information: emergency contacts (my brother and my primary care physician); all of my medications, by name, dosage, and when I take them; known allergies; Conditions and medical devices (chronic diseases, implants that may interfere with MRIs, etc.); blood type; insurance info. Basically, all of the info they ask for when you check into the hospital. Won't help if I'm unconscious when admitted (phone is password protected), or if my phone is broken in the same accident that injures me. But if I have to fill out my own questionnaires when admitted, I have all the information that I need to do so, right there on the phone.

I have the same info in an abbreviated form on a wallet card, and a MedicAlert ID bracelet that says "See Wallet Card." Right alongside a card giving information about my cat, including the name and phone number of a designated caregiver who will take care of the cat if I can't.
Old 07-29-2017, 05:54 AM   #6
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
SPOT GPS Satellite Messenger

I would recommend getting a satellite messenger. SPOT Messanger is one that I use. I have had one for years and like it for the capability of sending and SOS with the push of a button - even when out of cell phone coverage. This will activate a rescue/medical response on land or sea.

The device even lets you send customizable "I'm OK" messages to friends and relatives. Right now they are 50% off, but you do have to purchase a yearly subscription plan.

(As an aside the SPOT Trace is also on sale and will automatically send a signal to you if your trailer is moved. Great for peace of mind when you are away from your trailer and are worried about theft.)
Old 08-11-2017, 02:47 PM   #7
The Tin Man

2017 27' International
SoCal , California
I am also a solo streamer and I have to say that Life 360 is THE BOMB! My whole family is all on it and so we can keep an eye on each other. It also "checks in" automatically when the person either leaves or arrives at pre-determined locations. I have it on my kids, myself, my siblings and my PARENTS (Dad's 90 and still drives).

I HIGHLY recommend this app!
WBCC #4913
sandollars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 10:13 AM   #8
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
Thumbs up Well...

I'll be soloing too and my first thoughts are to go old school... as a world traveler, former military, and law enforcement I say keep it simple.

I intend to be friendly and meet as many people as possible, make a positive impression, and while I'm at it let people know what I'm up to, where I'll be, how long I'll be up to it... old advice for sure but good advice I think.

Not every schmo you run into for sure, let your gut and common sense be your guide perhaps..
- campground management
- people you get a good feeling from in the area
- law enforcement and other government/first responder types
- local business owners who seem alright
- friends or family on a routine basis by text, email, or phone call

I think in a true emergency, often defined by unforeseen, undesirable, and uncontrollable circumstances relying on gadgets is sketchy. If something can go wrong it has a distressing tendency to do so.

Good habits that are already creating awareness in others of your whereabouts and plans means you have to do nothing when suddenly in an emergency situation.

Now, a panic button type of gadget for when it might mean faster medical attention? Might make a difference. Having your phone pre-programmed with local EMS etc...one touch dialing especially, again might be smart. Easy to make a habit of setting that up when you settle into a new area and meet those people ...

What a man does for pay is of little significance. What he is, as a sensitive instrument responsive to the world's beauty, is everything! H. P. Lovecraft
wave man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 10:27 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I just hope someone finds my cold dead body before the cat gets too hungry.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 10:32 AM   #10
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
Lightbulb Solution to that is...

...get an automated cat feeder, seen em in action and they work, that'll buy you some time

What a man does for pay is of little significance. What he is, as a sensitive instrument responsive to the world's beauty, is everything! H. P. Lovecraft
wave man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 01:15 PM   #11
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
I just hope someone finds my cold dead body before the cat gets too hungry.
Doesn't matter to me. As long as the cat didn't kill me specifically so that she could eat me, it doesn't matter if she eats me when I'm gone. My last chance to be useful to somebody…
Old 08-24-2017, 12:02 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
2016 27' Flying Cloud
Rapid City , South Dakota
Your fear is the same I have, but I envision my Chihuahua eatting my parts. Anyway, my problem is I have no family or anyone that would notice me missing. I have no one to monitor where I am. So GOD is my GPS.
Chick Squad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 12:53 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeMeiner View Post
I have this irrational fear of dying while alone, and no one finding my body for two weeks, while my hungry Himalayan cats eat my face off! (Sorry for the visual!)
Easy, get a dog, they'll wait longer.

Seriously, I'm a few years older than you, and if I don't go now when will I? I've had boats or RV's all my life and I wouldn't trade a second of it. Besides if you're solo, what's the big difference in dying at home watching lousy cable?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6fda0c009f4fd0a05612a7f28b3cefdd.png
Views:	145
Size:	482.8 KB
ID:	293170   Click image for larger version

Name:	cat-murder.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	293171  

Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 01:39 PM   #14
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
As a former ER Nusre and former Paramedic I can offer some advice on this. In an emergency first responders will look for ICE, either in your wallet, purse, phone, iPad. Hard copies are better. We actually do use this information to find out who you are and who needs to be contacted. We also look for information regarding traveling companions including pets. If necessary we will contact local Animal shelters and explain the need. They will go with Law Enforcement to secure your pet and your belongings until other arrangements can be made either by you, if you are able to tell us, or by your emergency contact person. The more information you can provide to us the better. Have a living will and carry it with you at all times. At least we would know if you wanted to to all extreme measures or Do Not Resisatate. I would suggest if have one person that you contact once a day. That person should know your last know GPS location if 24 hours goes by then they can ask local law enforcement to do a welfare check if you want that level of security. I also have a sticker inside the side window that would alert Fire or Police that I have a pet inside and it shows my cell phone number. It is rather small which may be good or bad, I don't give my number out but if there was a problem at the trailer and I'm not there I would want to get back to it. I also have a key to the AS stashed so I could tell someone where the key was to rescue Maynard and Macy.
As for being eaten by your cat, probably won't happen. I would think the smell coming from you AS would alert most people that there is a major problem happening inside. Of course if you are out boondocking well.....that is where the once a day check in would be good.
Lastly, I wish I could help you with your fear of dying. I can't. We all die, some of us may know it will happen soon but most of us won't. Almost every day I worked we had at least one case where someone got up, got ready to have a normal, uneventful day and they didn't make it home that night, car wreck, heart attack, shot, overdose, etc.. make peace with yourself and other who are important to you. Say "l love you" a lot, don't live with regrets, don't allow unnecessary drama in your life. Enjoy every moment. Plan for tomorrow and the day after but live today.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 10:03 AM   #15
Jody

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Reynoldsburg , Ohio
Something I am working on learning out of necessity is to know more about my coverage. I fell saturday night and broke my ankle and had emergency surgery in Northern Michigan while staying with family. Home is central ohio. I had parked my new to me (only one week) airstream at a local campground while I stayed with my family. It has been crazy to say the least and I have to say I am so lucky to have such great family and friends since I am dealing with my pets, my trailer, home, etc. as I will need a few weeks in rehab. Home is 8 hours away, family is 4 hours. I was lucky to be contacted by a friend I used to show miniature horses with who also lives in Ohio and just happens to be here in michigan and she came and got my truck and trailer and will take them home to her place. The pets I was traveling with (two dogs) were taken in by my cousin's Mother In Law, other pets will stay where they have been boarded. The stuff that seems like it would have been hard to deal with just fell together and the stuff that should have been fairly simple has about done me in! Finding a rehab in network, they were suggesting I go 90 miles away to the UP, then after I did some online research, the actual hospital I am in has an in patient rehab and they are in network. Took 3 stressful days to discover that one!
Words to the wise, make a plan so if something does happen you will know what to do and avoid the stress of trying to do this on heavy narcotics!!!! And don't break yourself over a holiday weekend!!!
I know I can't count on everything just falling together like it did and this could have been a crazy mess if I had been on the road on my own and not near family.
I know I am done with travel for this year but I want to hit the road next year safely and with ducks in a row.
Sfmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 11:01 AM   #16
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
Options

Two options. Spot and Garmin InReach.

I believe InReach to be the better of the two, as it can both send and receive messages, plus you can custom enter a message on the fly via a mobile device. The basic plan is about $150/year. We like ours.

Your not dependent on a cell signal for either, just a clear view of the sky.
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote