Old 09-06-2017, 10:03 AM   #15
Jody

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Reynoldsburg , Ohio
Something I am working on learning out of necessity is to know more about my coverage. I fell saturday night and broke my ankle and had emergency surgery in Northern Michigan while staying with family. Home is central ohio. I had parked my new to me (only one week) airstream at a local campground while I stayed with my family. It has been crazy to say the least and I have to say I am so lucky to have such great family and friends since I am dealing with my pets, my trailer, home, etc. as I will need a few weeks in rehab. Home is 8 hours away, family is 4 hours. I was lucky to be contacted by a friend I used to show miniature horses with who also lives in Ohio and just happens to be here in michigan and she came and got my truck and trailer and will take them home to her place. The pets I was traveling with (two dogs) were taken in by my cousin's Mother In Law, other pets will stay where they have been boarded. The stuff that seems like it would have been hard to deal with just fell together and the stuff that should have been fairly simple has about done me in! Finding a rehab in network, they were suggesting I go 90 miles away to the UP, then after I did some online research, the actual hospital I am in has an in patient rehab and they are in network. Took 3 stressful days to discover that one!
Words to the wise, make a plan so if something does happen you will know what to do and avoid the stress of trying to do this on heavy narcotics!!!! And don't break yourself over a holiday weekend!!!
I know I can't count on everything just falling together like it did and this could have been a crazy mess if I had been on the road on my own and not near family.
I know I am done with travel for this year but I want to hit the road next year safely and with ducks in a row.

Sfmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 11:01 AM   #16
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Twin Rocks , Oregon
Options

Two options. Spot and Garmin InReach.

I believe InReach to be the better of the two, as it can both send and receive messages, plus you can custom enter a message on the fly via a mobile device. The basic plan is about $150/year. We like ours.

Your not dependent on a cell signal for either, just a clear view of the sky.

Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote