Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Solo Streamers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-09-2011, 03:24 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Montague , New Jersey
Talking Greetings

Hello all,
After a long time of consideration I've finally decided to get an airstream. I'm 26 years old and planning on taking a year off to travel in it while I check out some schools out west to apply to. I'll to be going with my dog (dogmeat is his name.. long story) and am planning on staying with some friends that I served with and at various military bases around the country while I still can. (my inactive military ID expires in Feb2013). Anyway, I was wondering if there are many other people around my age out there doing this sort of thing? I'm excited to meet the retired people living like this and am planning on learning as much as I can from their experience but it would be nice to have people my age to socialize with as well. I'm mechanically inclined and after living out of a plane for many years I'm sure I'll be a perfect fit for airstream life. Looking to get out on the road after my spring semester at the local community college. Any stories or advice for "young" travellers is appreciated, after reading maaaany posts on this site I know how accepting everyone is. Just wanted to introduce myself and I can't wait to hit the road.

Im adding an image of the first airstream I've been in. We used the "silver bullet" to bring the secretary of defense overseas a few years ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	142156  
Dogmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 03:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Welcome! I certainly don't meet the age requirement, but I live very close to you. In fact I'll be mountain biking at High Point tomorrow. I'm sure you'll get some good responses- and most of the advice here isn't age-specific.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 03:52 PM   #3

Currently Looking...
Montague , New Jersey
lucky. I have to work.. another reason I can't wait to be on the road. I was up that way kayaking this morning. Gorgeous weather we're having right now.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:10 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Welcome Aboard Dogmeat...

...and thanks for your service.
Too bad you didn't snag the Rumsfeld Airstream. Now that would have "provenance."
You will find many veterans among the Airstreamers, aand most of us find that the various posts and stations around the US have nice RV parks including one here at Kirtland AFB in Albuquerque.
Welcome aboard!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PA010066.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	142161  
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 05:24 PM   #5

Currently Looking...
Montague , New Jersey
Thanks Alumaholic. Any chance if you know if I'll be able to use these parks after my inactive ID expires. I haven't done much research into it yet since its a few years off but I figured I'd ask. I remember back when I was in Altus I was able to get my parents a temporary base pass so maybe I'll be able to get my friends to do that after the ID expires. I'm currently applying for membership at the VFW and I'm 30% disabled according to the VA, I don't know if either of those would allow me to continue using base services. I just wish I'd have gotten the Airstream while I was still in, I would've saved a ton of money instead of paying rent on a house I only got to stay in 1 week every month.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:49 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Bloomsbury , New Jersey
Welcome

Another NJ Airstreamer here. I hope you get to fill your dream, sounds nice. Work will ocupy too much time as you get older. Lots of used AS on Craigslist in NJ, where I got mine. If you can't find one, and want to go on shorter excursions (4-6 days) let me know, LOL I'm always looking to go camping/hiking/biking when my friends are busy! MPJ
moparjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 06:08 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Welcome aboard the Airforums! It sounds like you have a fun plan in the making...good luck with it! You're right...it's a very accepting group here... all types and all walks of life enjoy the Airstream way.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 06:47 PM   #8

Currently Looking...
Montague , New Jersey
thanks for the offer moparjohn, right now I'm working 50 hours a week and going to school full time with the GI bill, saving as much as possible for this excursion, I'll definitely let you know though when I do get a break from it. I'd like to take mine on a few short trips before heading out full time.

TBRich, thanks for the support. For some reason I was expecting a bunch of negative feedback when I came to this decision, one of the reasons its taken me so long to commit to it. My family and friends have been very supportive, it's great.