Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2016, 06:24 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Curry County , Oregon
"Cind Me" On

It is with considerable amount of consternation and anguish I have decided to trade-in my Eddie Bauer ("Loretta") for a new trailer. You see "Loretta" represents to me the happiest and most cherished years of my life. Why? -- because I was a able to share them traveling with my precious wife "Cindy" who passed away earlier this year.

I had every intention of keeping "Loretta" at first but I have decided that "she" is too big of a trailer for me and that the TLC she needs now is more than I can give her. "Loretta" for the most part has been pretty much unattended to the last two and half years while I took care of my wife. Yet when I needed her most she was always there to get my wife and me to sometimes a "far away" medical facilities, safely and more importantly comfortably, for extended stays. Before that, the trips we took together --the adventures we had, visiting old friends, making new friends and generally sharing really quality time together -- will always be my fondest and most cherished years of my life. For that I well always be appreciative to "Loretta".

I had been pondering for the last few months what I needed to do to get Loretta back in tip-top shape. I came to the realization this week that it was going to take a lot of my time. No doubt, this would create anxiety as there are several other crucial things that I must get done in the next couple of months before I can take some extended road trips. The last thing I need now is more stress in my life. Thus the very tough decision to let Loretta go and purchase a new airstream.

So now, the next crucial decision to make is -- what do I name the new trailer. First thought was "Loretta II (Cindy and I named our first trailer Loretta simply because we love Loretta Lynn and always enjoyed listening to and dancing to her music). However after some deliberation I think I will name her "Cind Me" Why? Two reasons: first -- I always affectionately referred to late wife just simply as Cind; two-- I promised Cind that I would do my darndest to move forward and have a happy and fulfilled life once she was gone. Easier said than done. Anyway, the name of the new trailer will remind me of my beautiful wife and the cherished times we had together but hopefully constantly remind me that I need to do every thing I can to fulfill my pledge to her by challenging myself to the best of ability to create a new and purposeful life without her.

Oh by the way, regarding that first extended trip I plan to take in the new trailer, well it will be going back to Texas with my sister to visit with friends and family. But the main purpose will be see for the first time Cindy's grand nephew who was born shortly after she passed away. So hopefully "Cind Me" will start out representing what she is supposed to do for me -- a cherished connection between the past, the present and the future.

Although I don't expect to like the new trailer as much amenity wise as I do Loretta, what is much more important is that I share it with the ones I love and those who love me. And in that function "Cind Me" will serve the same precious function that Loretta did and that is the creation of everlasting cherished moments and memories.

No need to reply just needed to share.
Harpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 06:32 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
I'm very sorry for your loss and wish you all the best in your adventures with Cind Me. Be well.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 06:42 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
So very sorry for the loss of your beloved wife.

Wishing you strength and courage as you move forward.

Maggie.
Old 12-30-2016, 07:34 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Thanks for sharing, and do take good care of yourself in your future travels.
SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 06:53 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Beautifully written....thanks for sharing. May your dear wife rest in peace and may you have health, happiness and safety on the road in your new Airstream.
Old 01-09-2017, 12:40 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2017 19' International
Houston , Texas
So sorry to read about the passing of your wife. Prayers are with you.

Take the long way home.....

WBICC# 5400
jrporter7702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 05:46 PM   #7
Rich and Kat

2017 30' Classic
Alexandria Alexandria , Virginia
Harpo, Cind Me is a beautiful name for your new trailer, and even more beautiful, the heartfelt meaning behind the name. We are so sorry to hear of your loss.
Save
AIRHEDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 09:10 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Curry County , Oregon
Thank you

Thanks so much everyone for the kind words and condolences.
Well I got "Cindy-Me" home. I must admit it was love at first sight. The salesperson I dealt with told me before I got there I would be excited to get her. However, I believed my sadness in letting "Loretta" go would just totally dampen the whole experience. I was wrong. Cind-Me is beautiful inside and out just like the person she is named after. I think she will be the perfect fit for me and my van which by the way is now named "Onward".
Old 01-15-2017, 10:24 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Classic
CLARKSVILLE , Tennessee
Harpo, your posting was a inspiration to me who has just lost my wife (68yrs old) that died suddenly on the 11th this month. I never had an opportunity to discuss with her what my outlook would be attempting to travel with our 25' Airstream Classic that we enjoyed three extensive trips without her. She had only been retired from her occupation for four years and we were just beginning to plan more trip in the upcoming years before her life was cut short. I haven't decided what my destiny will be but hope you have happy future travels.
Camper Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 04:51 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
So sorry for your loss, Dave.

What a shock that must have been.

Take care of yourself,

Maggie
Old 01-18-2017, 08:39 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Curry County , Oregon
I too am so, so sorry for your loss. The day to day struggles are unbelievably difficult. I know for me nothing will ever completely fill the void of losing my wife and it should not but I do believe that the adventure of travel will help. I wish you from the bottom of heart my deepest condolences.
Old 01-19-2017, 05:22 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Providence , Rhode Island
Thanks for sharing. : )

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
BorninRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 08:32 AM   #13

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Northport , Colorado
Harpo, so sorry to hear of your loss. Thanks for sharing, it helps others more than you know...

Wishing you comfort and safety in your travel and adventures.
RLNSTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 08:42 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Curry County , Oregon
Thanks so, so much for the kind words. To think I am helping someone else who is experiencing the loss of such a dear one gives me great comfort and purpose.
Old 02-14-2017, 12:38 PM   #15
CAB & DAB

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Brenham , Texas
Dave and Harpo,
I lost my wife Loyce one year ago, it was sudden so we did not get the chance to discus the future much. We had traveled extensively in our cherished 17 Casita for about 5 years and as much as I liked it there were just to many memories. Sold it to a friend in town here and bought a 23D FC. Have been on a few trips in it and like it a lot, looking forward to many more miles this year and to continue with the travel plans we had made together.
I will say to you that as time passes things get more tolerable and the great memories help get you through the rough days, I even catch myself smiling at them these days!
Wishing you all the best,
David
dbdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 05:26 PM   #16

2003 22' International
Genoa , Nevada
I too lost my wife tragically three years ago Christmas Eve at 57 after 29 years of marriage. We were skiing not far from home in CA and a snowboarder crashed into her and launched her face on into a huge tree. I was about 12 feet behind her and watched in horror.

We have a 22 international which i keep garaged. I have nothing but happy memories the two of us having fun in western states exploring.

I will restart exploring again this spring.
Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 07:38 PM   #17
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Condolences for your loss. A boat got the wife and I through the loss of her sister. These things are memory makers and you show good sense in connecting the dots. Good luck on your transition. Can only say it gets better with time and sharing with family and friends. Keep it rolling along. The great thing about an AS is that someone will love it, like you did and will again. Hope to see you down the road. We'll try to flash our lights at you. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 11:57 PM   #18

2017 16' Sport
Kingwood , Texas
Losing our spouses really SUCKS doesn’t it? Take care and enjoy what you can. No matter what anyone says, the grief never goes away. It just changes. Take care.
casluis is offline   Reply With Quote