Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2010, 11:01 AM   #1

2006 19' Safari
Lanark , Ontario
Talking Biking with an Airstream

We just finished a 3 week trip with our new to us 2006 19' Bambi - loved it! This has been our first Airstream experience.
We like to bike and are wondering if anyone out there has found a safe, secure way to attach bikes to an Airstream or is this too unwise to consider?
Dave
David Riis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
There are many threads about bikes attached to the rear of Airstreams with the usual conclusion that it will cause structural damage to the trailer. There are some methods to put them on the front of the trailer or t.v., but for me this is awkward.

Bicycling is also a large part of our travel. We now carry them in the back of our pickup, but I don't like being restricted to a pick-up tow vehicle. The person who could engineer a rear-mounted bike rack that could transfer the load to the axle area, either over, under, or through the trailer, without substantial modification of the trailer, would have quite a following.
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:35 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Between Here , And There
Bikes and Airstreams

Dave,

Can Am RV in London, Ontario used to sell a rack that mounted above the Propane tanks via brackets that attach to the A frame. As I recall the racks were a little expensive. I eventually settled on a Swagman rack that attaches to the hitch ball hole in my bumper and still leaves my hitch receiver free to tow the trailer. I can safely carry two bikes on this rack with no problem even when making very sharp turns. I got mine at etrailer.com address attached. http://www.etrailer.com/p-S64095.html

Good luck!
fltlevel510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:04 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Riis View Post
wondering if anyone out there has found a safe, secure way to attach bikes to an Airstream?
Well, there's one unconventional way that comes to mind...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	as.bike.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	105017  
Old 06-16-2010, 01:26 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Concensus is don't hang bikes off the back of the trailer frame.

It is claimed they will cause separation of the frame/body due to bouncing of the bikes coupled with the leverage.

There are however some folks that claim to have done it for years with no apparent problem.

We bought our trailer used and it came with a rear mounted hitch receiver. At first I had planned to use to for our bike rack.

From my research on this forum, although I will say I wasn't 100% convinced, I decided not to take the chance.

I don't know what the previous owner used the hitch for - I suspect towing a boat as the hitch also had trailer wiring.

I will say that i didn't see any evidence of damage - but who knows. In any event, I cut the welded hitch off the frame.

We carry our bikes on a standard hitch mounted bike carrier on teh front of our tow vehicle. I had a hitch receiver installed for that purpose.

We have done this for more than 12 years of RV'ing with no problems at all.

It does have the advantage that I can keep an eye on the bikes too!

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:45 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
2005 18' Westphalia
Evans , GA
Yakima BedHeads

As I have written before, we love our Yakima BedHeads.
The bikes are secure and separated. No scratches!
Don't spring for the locking version. The design isn't really secure and it is not as easy to use.
We have one locking and three standard versions and we lace a cable through the bikes.
We can even load our bikes while standing on the ground. They are that easy to use.
Bikes are kept bug and road grit free.
We are avid cyclists and carry two to four bikes per trip.
We can still carry our Honda generator when we have four bikes loaded.
You can see our rig loaded with bikes in at least one of the videos on our blog.
Bird's Nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 08:05 AM   #7

2006 19' Safari
Lanark , Ontario
Thankyou all for the advice and suggestions!
Dave
David Riis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 09:48 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International CCD
San Luis Obispo , California
We carry our tandem inside our Airstream. After considering all of the options, I discovered that my wife and I can (carefully) load the bike into the AS without too much effort and without getting anything greasy. It sits leans nicely between the dinette and the galley counter, and is safe and secure when traveling. Sure, it requires removing the bike when we stop for the night, but the security and convenience is worth it. Of course, your bikes might not fit as easily as ours due to the size and configuration of your AS, but this simple solution is worth considering.
wbrownrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 11:29 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Sunny Skies , Rockies
TV rack

david.
load them in the towing vehicle, either roof rack or inside. if you don't have enough room inside the vehicle or even if you do, one of you could ride while the other becomes the support vehicle. takes longer but definitely more enjoyable and it gets both of you in shape. of course it depends on where you are and the roads you drive.
my wife and I did this for lack of room and it's now something we look forward to.
Marcello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 01:00 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
Not the greatest picture but we have a Canadian made bike rack that mounts above the propane tanks . Great bike rack and well made. www.toppoprails.com
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	018.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	271.6 KB
ID:	105192  
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 02:44 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
In my opinion, anything other than inside-storage, whether in the AS or in the TV, is asking for trouble. Rain, hail, dirt, debris, theft, and damage possibly await you. If you've got a good bike, that you want to take care of, do yourselves a favor and put it inside somewhere. We use a home-made bike rack that the front fork drop-outs connect to (front wheel off), in the back of the Suburban. No worries! Kudos to you for including your bikes as "must have" gear- Have fun!
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 04:29 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
The myth of frame seperation stems back to the days when the frame of an Airstream was the BODY and the actual under trailer frame members were on .100 thick and only 3 x 1 1/4 material.

The post #18 of this thread
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...m-56170-2.html
shows my set up on my trailer. The secret to hanging anything off the rear of an Airstream is to remove the rotational moment about the bumper. If you look at the picture the straps leading from the window sill do that. The rack ride rock solid with the bumper supporting the weight and the straps taking the rotation produced by the cantilevered nature of the rack.

Found a better picture at post #36 #38 and #41 of this tread.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...s-30184-3.html

I must qualify my position. Any time someone tells me I can't or should not do some thing that is when I do it. It is a lot more fun then.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 06:55 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1956 16' Bubble
Dallas , Oregon
personbally--I'd keep the bikes on your vehicle--they make about 50 different versions out there to choose from. you'll have a lot of different cars but only one airstream--keep it retro-cool. cheers--ted
the544man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 07:34 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Round Hill , Virginia
chain condom

I put our bikes in the 25 ft AS while on the road. Ibought "chain condoms", they slip over your drivetrain and keep stuff from getting greasy in the AS, see chaincondom.com

chu
zimchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 09:22 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1985 25' Sovereign
South Central Rockies... , "...'Stream'n the Dream" thru the USA
Get a Thule rack for your tow rig...

We're not comfortable attaching the bikes to the trailer for reasons already discussed. Security of the bikes is important to us. Most roof mounted bike racks have fairly secure locking mechanisms.

Try researching either the Yakima or Thule systems... You can get them through REI and they will drop ship to the store if you have to special order it over the internet - no shipping costs.... I've used the Thule system for over 15 years - both the bike/ski rack combo and their travel storage box. See photos...

People used to ask what that big coffin-looking thing was on the top of my Suburban - used to say that's where the ex-mother in law rides on long trips...

...anyhow, Maggie and I are into mountain biking as much as our AS, we're looking for a better way to carry our dog on the bikes....

Keep peddling...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AS White Sands Maggie Jaki bike.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	365.7 KB
ID:	105215   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040550.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	244.9 KB
ID:	105217  

Name:	P1040548.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	169.2 KB
ID:	105218   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040546.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	205.9 KB
ID:	105219  

WBCCI: 2197; AIR #: 36503; TAC #: NM-5

MaxAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 04:42 AM   #16
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Currently out bikes go in the back of the truck, but we use folding bikes

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 04:51 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1985 25' Sovereign
South Central Rockies... , "...'Stream'n the Dream" thru the USA
Folding bikes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Currently out bikes go in the back of the truck, but we use folding bikes

Aaron
Great idea!

WBCCI: 2197; AIR #: 36503; TAC #: NM-5

MaxAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 06:10 AM   #18
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
Hi Wayne

We carry our tandem on the back of the Airstream and it is amazingly easy to do. The wheel base of the tandem matches the frame stance of the Airstream. We just bolt two pieces of 2x2x 1/4" angle to the skid plates. On one we mount a quick release fork bracket for the front forks and the rear tire we hold down with a U bolt through the frame. Then we put a cross bar out from the body for insurance. In this case it is riveted into the compartment door frame where the holes do not show. If you have a rear window awning you can just put straps to the brackets. What prevents this from damaging the Airstream is that it is very light we only add a few pounds and the bike is supported of the body as well as the frame.

I am sorry this picture is not so good I cropped it out of a larger shot.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Tandem Mount.JPG
Views:	188
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	105224  

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 08:51 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
bike rack on rear

Hi Andrew,
I saw the picture you posted back in June. I am in the process of installing a bike rack, similar to yours, on my 25' Safari. Have you had any bad things happen to your trailer as a result? How many times have you hauled your bike, and how far?

I am getting ready to take a trip to Florida from North Carolina in a few weeks. I am trying to decide if I really want to haul 2 bikes on the rear. it will be about a 2,000 mile trip.

I would really appreciate it if you would share your experience.

Thanks!
Alan
A W Warn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:24 AM   #20
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
I've received notice that a commercially-built bike rack will be introduced by a major manufacturer, specifically designed to mount on the rear of late-model Airstreams. It was developed with the assistance of Airstream. When it is ready for market (sometime next year) I expect that it will be advertised in Airstream Life.

As Howie and Andy T have pointed out, it's a myth that a modern Airstream can't carry a bike on the rear.

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote