Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2007, 08:01 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Spring Hill , Florida
Thumbs up Airstreaming at 80+ alone

I've been thinking of 'hitting the road' alone, and wondering how many soles there are out there who are Seniors and traveling alone. I guess this is an unofficial pole to see if it's a safe and sane thing to do at this point in life.
If you have experience doing this----let me know.

Text formatting standardized by moderator
zekethebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 08:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

I say get going!!

I know of a couple of people on up there in years that travel. Keeps them young. Some out of the Florida area. I guess the question is, "Where do you want to spend your time?(before the big day)" If you have never towed before, get yourself something like a B-Van setup and ROLL!! One of these days will be our last, I just hope, I'm not at home in a rocking chair when it happens. Have you left yet??
Old 02-03-2007, 08:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I say go for it!

If your health is good, why not? Be careful and ask for help if you need it, but if you want to travel and your eyesight is OK, then try it. I'm 58 and a few of my friends are apalled that I tried it, but many more support it fully. I know quite a few people in their 70's who are out there.

I'd definitely try to meet some people who already have trailers or B vans, or whatever you are planning to travel in, and let the owners give you the opportunity to practice hooking and unhooking - etc. Find out whether it's beyond you or not before you invest if you can.

Get the sensible helpers - a drill with a 3/4 inch bit to raise and lower the stabilizers and an electric jack motor would be two I'd consider first.

Good luck and see you down the road.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 09:21 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Altoona , Florida
Get a physical and ask your doctor. Nothing magic about 80 but travelling can be demanding on the body.
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 09:57 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Roseville , California
Give it a shot!

You might try doing it with a group - check out your local WBCCI unit, for instance, if you have an Airstream product. Always people available to help if you run into difficulties, which we all do from time to time.
WBCCI #3580 - Region 12 NorCal
AIR #8752
Roseville, CA
cammur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 10:07 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
It's pretty cliche but, you're only as old as you feel. My mom is 87 and plays golf 3-5 times per week. She doesn't ride a cart, she walks, and pulls her clubs in a pull cart. Driving is a kiss compared to that. If you feel like you can do it, you can. Never, never, never, never, give up. A wiser man than I said that. Good for you, for even considering it.
str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 10:21 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I'm 61 now and have no problem driveing and or towing, but I am in good to great health with exellent driveing skills. I say, it's not the number of your age, but your physical abilities and health. All of us are different; My Dad doesn't tow and never did, but was a truck and bus driver and still drives today at 93 years old.
Don't fool yourself. You know if you can or can't and if you should or should not.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 10:27 PM   #8
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
If you can, do it!

How about a poll of how many of us would love to still be RVing when we are 80+. Put me down for a yes on that one.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 10:46 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
How about a poll of how many of us would love to still be RVing when we are 80+. Put me down for a yes on that one.
Ditto!
If you're able, go for it. Be honest with yourself, get an opinion from someone you trust who will be honest as well. As someone else said, 80 is just a number as long as the health and skills are still good.
Good luck in your endeavor.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 10:49 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
Hi, me too. I hope to get 20+ years use out of my trailer and the first two years don't count because I'm still working, but soon to retire, this year. That would put me over 80.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 11:13 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
I'm 67 now and, as long as I have good eyesight, reflexes, and generally good health, I can't imagine not enjoying the Airstream. Now that I'm retired, I no longer do the 500 mile marathons, I don't tow at night unless I have to, and I do a bit more trip pre-planning - consiously avoiding congested and heavy traffic areas. I can afford the time to go around large cities, use rural roads, and otherwise slow down and enjoy the scenery. I love "putting along" at 45 mph on the back roads - and I pull over frequently to let the locals scoot by. A 250 mile day would be a "long" day - and I never go over 100 miles without getting out and taking a break. Additionally, I'm far more meticulous about maintaining the truck and trailer in perfect condition. I subscribe to one of the well-known and respected "Emergency Road Service" providers for RVs, the truck has "On Star," and I always carry a cell phone. These are not very expensive services relative to their value. We stay at the better RV parks when travelling alone - leaving the wilderness and somewhat remote areas for trips accompanied by other units. I've personally met many others, well into their 80's, that are out there enjoying life to the fullest! It beats the heck out of staring out the window at the same white picket fence day after day!

With that thought in mind, I'm getting sick and tired of looking at the snow on the Airstream. Some "low country" southern cooking in SC would sure taste good, and a week or two at Fort DeSota campground in Florida would be just the ticket! Now, lets see, how far West do I want to go to avoid NY, DC and the rest of the I-95 congestion???

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 08:40 AM   #12
WBCCI 8562

1975 31' Sovereign
Pelzer , South Carolina
HI 71 here, because of wife health problems we would still be on the road. However with a truck camper, and restoring a AS we still take lengthy trips around the western states.
Often do central Colorado non stop (700 miles)
Jim in Pima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 05:33 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Red Oak , Texas
zekethebear - what did you decide? I'd love to hear your adventures.
SharonIvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 06:41 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Great suggestions here! If you are able, go for it! Great idea to go to group activities first, get a feel for what you have to do. At rallies there is always someone to help you park in the dark, show you how to hook up that dohickey and advice on how to make life easier!

If you haven't seen the movie "The Bucket List" then it will inspire you! None of us (I hope) want to be lying in some hospital for months before we go... get out on the road and if it doesn't work for you, at least you tried!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi traveling in S Tardis ~ from the Great State of Jefferson
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 08:40 PM   #15
Stray

1987 32' Excella
1978 28' Argosy 28
Springfield , Missouri
Go gett'um dude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you're asking the question, you are probably healthy enough--besides, desire overcomes a lot of obstacles. I hope to still be at it when I'm 80+.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:42 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Classic FB
Anytown , Massachusetts
Airstreaming is my love and passion combined with fly fishing

I think everyone needs - something - that puts spring in your step. Something to look forward to; no matter what age you are. I believe having something to focus on at any age is key.

I am planning the next season it's a wonderful adventure...

This years adventure is the Adirondacks - fly fishing with the dog.

I say go for it....Safe travels...and don't look back....

Lin.
WBCCI #8701* TAC MA-1 * NEU UNIT
Gracie...A Liver & White GSP
Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
Whirlaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 01:17 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Id say GO FOR IT also. If its just you,find a Bambi or something small,so you can use a smaller tow vehicle. Im 71 and like some others here have said,"I'd like to get at least 10 more yrs out of our airstream. There are lots of us old timers out here and lots and lots of younger people that would be thrilled to have the change to help you hookup and help in your education. Its a learning curve and you need never to stop learning. Keeps ya young and active even at 80. Just an oldman's thoughts GO FOR IT
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:10 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Holy smokes! You folks act like when you hit 40 or 50 or something, life is over. Phooey on that! I'm over 60, and I think I'm pretty YOUNG! I'm not sure I'll be able to or wanting to, use my A/S 40 years from now, but I do expect to use it for several decades! I never give my age a thought ... 'course somtimes the next morning I've got a new ache or pain I didnt' have the day before and wouldn't have had when I was 25, but so what? Hitch 'er up!
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:56 PM   #19
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirsDream View Post
You folks act like when you hit 40 or 50 or something, life is over. Phooey on that!
Just re-read all the comments, and everybody's saying "go for it". Am I missing something?
Old 03-03-2010, 03:59 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Colleyville , Texas
zekethebear,
Your post got me in a wonderful mood. Good for you ! Get out there and enjoy life. Airstreaming is a blast!
LisaP is offline   Reply With Quote