Old 06-10-2010, 07:23 PM   #29
Rivet Master
2005 28' Classic
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Go with it

I'm just short of 78 and 8 days before taking off for my (child) bride's 50th high school reunion in Michigan and a family reunion in St Louis. Maybe it is because I was a fighter pilot, but I still have great driving reflexes. I do take just a bit more care making decisions than I used to, just in case.

I find towing at my usual steady 60-62 mph to feel safer than keeping up with traffic in my Genesis sedan. I stay much more alert to my surroundings with the trailer on.

I figure I am good for a few more years at least.

John W. Irwin
2005 Classic 28 "Sabre-Dog III"
2013 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison LTZ
WBCCI #9632, TAC TX-10
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 08:41 PM   #30
Site Team
1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Any of us should feel fortunate if we are in Zeke's position, I think. I mean, he apparently feels in good enough health to take up travelling alone in a TT, and has the wherewithall (read: cash) to do it. In many ways, that makes him a luckier man than 93.7% of the population.

However, I would encourage him to find a travelling companion to go with him on any long trip that he may decied to undertake.

Why? Two reasons:

1) Your health can be a funny thing and it can definitely play tricks on you. One day you feel like a million dollars (and I don't mean all green and wrinkled) but then the next, something happens and an important change can happen. It could be something as simple as a bad cold or an infection, or maybe a fall, with a broken limb, or something more serious and debilatating, which I will leave to your imagination.

How much fun would the trip be then? How helpless would it leave you without a partner to take over and help you get out of the mess? I personally would not be at ease knowing that I had no close "back up" to help me out of a jam, or just take over when I was tired.

2) One thing that touring alone years ago on my motorbike taught me was that while you can have the time of your life off travelling alone, it's three times more fun to have a partner to share it with. Something rediculous happens, and the two of you might look at each other and laugh your heads off.

My enjoyment was always magnified and enhanced when I travelled with someone else. Don't get me wrong, I do not depend much on others for my happiness, but there's something about being on the road, away from everything familiar to you that can give you a lonely feeling and make you feel like a stranger really quickly.

Plus, let's not forget that you can also sometimes give another pleasure just by including them in your plans. Let them experience something they would never have had the opportunity to do without your invitation. The trip of a lifetime...

I say, why not? It wouldn't be that hard to find someone, would it? And if you find you don't like them, just turn around and come back home.

But imagine taking a grandson, grand-daughter, neice or nephew across America: what a great time you could have; YOUR "trip of a lifetime"!

If it's to be, it's up to me.
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 07:21 PM   #31

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
How's your vision?

How are your reflexes?

Have you taken a good, hard look at your capabilities? If you are marginal, how would you feel if...?

I'm 61. I think about this stuff. Do you?

Somebody, please, point me to the road.

AIR 3987
wbcci 9239 (Re-enlisted 2013)
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 08:00 PM   #32
1 Rivet Member
1994 28' Excella
, Georgia
Go for it! My Great Uncle gave me the AirStream fever when I was 15 yrs old. He traveled the US & Canada into his 80's, outlived 8 wives(that we knew of). I met several folks at the TOG that were in their 80's that still towed.
Mike McCrory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:40 PM   #33
Rivet Master
1965 28' Ambassador
Irving , Texas
Zeke,At 62 this year I got my first Airstream! Planning on full time and going alone.
Just remember there are Airstreamers in every staye that would jump at the chance to help if you encounter trouble.Make a buddies list to have someone to call on when needed Should you decide to find a traveling companion to go along I understand there are alot of young girls out there say 60 or so?
bwaysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 05:45 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member
1969 27' Overlander
Ehrhardt , South Carolina

I was wondering how your solo camping is going???
I plan to visit the great national parks this summer and enjoy my 69
Everyday on the road is a new adventure

oldcar29 is offline   Reply With Quote