Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2017, 09:41 AM   #41
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Best advice out there: Go for it.

If you want community while camping, you can also sign up for various rallies. Many are listed here on the Air Forums calendar and some don't require any membership - just registration for the event. WBCCI also has rallies and caravans. There are tons of threads here on the pros and cons of joining WBCCI, I just mention them here for your consideration.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 08:59 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
Not only do I travel alone but been a full-timer almost a year. No regrets....its a different lifestyle...do everything or do nothing, its up to you. Personally I started while working as a fed contract manager in Montana and Florida but now working the summer season at a campground in Michigan. Figure by October I will have better idea if I want to return to federal service.

Main thing is you learn you packed things on the RV you will not need and need things you packed in storage Its a trade off. I miss using my Big Green Egg smoker but it was to heavy to carry on the Airstream. Now shopping for a smaller smoker that's got multi functions.
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 03:38 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
THANKS FOR THE HELP

I just spent a week at Virginia Highland Haven... and had just finished getting disturbing and inside secured so I could hook up, went outside and pht-t-t. The wretched battery on the truck was dead. Of course roadside assistance would have been two hours away, if I still had it! (Called Good Sam 3 times in 6 years. They never promised response in under 2 hours... and typically 3 hours later I'd gotten the tire changed myself or someone had helped me... still with time to spare to call back and cancel the no-show service truck.) So.. three strikes dor GoodSam Roadaide. And BIG KARMA to all the great people who've stepped in to help. Anyway, just as I was Googling for a tow truck, two neighbors jumped in to help and got me started successfully. I left the trailer on site and went to Advance Auto in Roanoke where fortunately only one of the two batteries had a dead cell.
The beauty of Virginia Highland Haven Is only surpassed by that of those who camp there.

Paula
Old 05-10-2017, 03:51 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
That's a nice story, Paula.

I remember the rally you had at that Airstream park a number of years ago.

Maggie
Old 05-11-2017, 08:59 AM   #45
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Airstream Coach - Other
ancramdale , New York
interesting....i am on my way there,i have friends who live near v.highland,so looking forward to this week there;one can always rely on the kindness of stangers!!!!glad it all worked out...and you are right,Sams club road assistance is not what it is supposed to be...i may change to something else...
la nomade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 01:55 PM   #46
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Newport Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1997 View Post
Not only do I travel alone but been a full-timer almost a year. No regrets....its a different lifestyle...do everything or do nothing, its up to you. Personally I started while working as a fed contract manager in Montana and Florida but now working the summer season at a campground in Michigan. Figure by October I will have better idea if I want to return to federal service.

Main thing is you learn you packed things on the RV you will not need and need things you packed in storage Its a trade off. I miss using my Big Green Egg smoker but it was to heavy to carry on the Airstream. Now shopping for a smaller smoker that's got multi functions.

They make a Green Egg Mini which weighs 37lbs. It's small enough to be portable. I'm going to use it with my 27FB and going full time
rchawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 02:45 PM   #47
1 Rivet Member

1982 31' Excella
Montgomery , Texas
Airstreaming Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchawkins View Post
They make a Green Egg Mini which weighs 37lbs. It's small enough to be portable. I'm going to use it with my 27FB and going full time

Check out this little guy:
http://www.cobbgrillamerica.com/

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1196.JPG
Views:	350
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	285817

The rep is a classic airstream owner as well! Cool people!
Lake Conroe / Montgomery, TX
Chris_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 03:23 PM   #48
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Panama City , Florida
I'll be checking into Highland Haven on Monday and can't wait to see the views. I've heard nothing but great things about the park.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
THANKS FOR THE HELP

I just spent a week at Virginia Highland Haven... and had just finished getting disturbing and inside secured so I could hook up, went outside and pht-t-t. The wretched battery on the truck was dead. Of course roadside assistance would have been two hours away, if I still had it! (Called Good Sam 3 times in 6 years. They never promised response in under 2 hours... and typically 3 hours later I'd gotten the tire changed myself or someone had helped me... still with time to spare to call back and cancel the no-show service truck.) So.. three strikes dor GoodSam Roadaide. And BIG KARMA to all the great people who've stepped in to help. Anyway, just as I was Googling for a tow truck, two neighbors jumped in to help and got me started successfully. I left the trailer on site and went to Advance Auto in Roanoke where fortunately only one of the two batteries had a dead cell.
The beauty of Virginia Highland Haven Is only surpassed by that of those who camp there.

Paula
OSCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 11:59 PM   #49
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Okay. So updated report on the GE mini: fantastic!! Ribs chicken and fish smoked great. Big test was tri tip: never cooked it before. Nothing left. Some said it was the tenderest tri tip they ever had. Also ran errands while cooking and no good thermometer. Pumped at 190 degrees but everyone loved it
Old 05-30-2017, 12:40 AM   #50
4 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
1973 25' Tradewind
1968 30' Sovereign
Salt Lake City , Utah
I full-timed alone for 2.5 years. Paradoxically during that time I felt more connected to people than I do when I am living a more conventional life. My dog, my Airstream, and the business I had at the time all forced me to socialize, and I really connected with fantastic people. I'm also fortunate to have friends and family around the country, so there were few places I went where I didn't know someone.

Enjoy! Airstreaming is the way to go in my book!
Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jimbreitinger/
utahredrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 10:43 AM   #51
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
Same boat...

Greetings all!
Terrific information and food for thought, thanks all. Even if a little late...
I'll be soloing myself before long, after some adjustment time hopefully getting the most important kinks out...

Your advice and warm responses all over this forum encourage me greatly.
Be Safe.

What a man does for pay is of little significance. What he is, as a sensitive instrument responsive to the world's beauty, is everything! H. P. Lovecraft
wave man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 10:33 PM   #52
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1997 View Post

Mini green egg. Mine works great for smoking pizzas and BBQ
Old 07-17-2017, 05:30 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
I don't mind traveling solo...it's a good time to think about things, meet new folks and have quality time with the dog
Old 07-17-2017, 06:08 AM   #54
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
I travel just me for most of each year. Been doin that for years and I love it. I can go where I want, when I want, how I want. I ain't ever been a people person so this life has been really great for me. I don't really socialize very much on the road, I like to be kinda invisible. But postin on this forum is great.

Folks always tell me I need a dog but that just sounds like a big hassle.

Love Airstreamin alone.
TravlinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:07 AM   #55
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_P View Post
Check out this little guy:
http://www.cobbgrillamerica.com/

Attachment 285817

The rep is a classic airstream owner as well! Cool people!
I've had a Cobb almost as long as I've had an Airstream, and have no complaints at all. Some of the newer accessories are must-haves, too, such as the foil liners and the grill grid.

But since this is the Solo Streamers thread and not one of the many Grilling threads, I'll say this. From February 2012 to August 2016, every trip I made in my Airstream was a solo trip, and I made at least 10 trips every year, even when I was working for a living. When I retired in January 2015, no change except that from then on, every trip was at least a week long, and sometimes as many as 3 weeks.

Then in August 2016 I met a woman who occupied my time (and my money, and my sanity…). We only took 2 trips together in 8 months, the first a long weekend and the second a week long. I enjoyed the company, but she had no concept of how to pack or provision for a trip, how to conserve water so the gray tank wouldn't overflow, or any of a number of things that are near and dear to an Airstreamer's heart. She didn't help set up, didn't help break camp, or anything, and brought so much stuff there was no room for it all. There were other compensations to her company, but camping with her was generally not fun. And later, when her true colors began to show through the façade, and the relationship ended on a sour note, I could at least be thankful it ended.

Now that she's gone and I'm solo again (yay, me!), I haven't been able to head out because the poor Airstream suffered from neglect and needed fixing up before I could hit the road again. But that will soon be taken care of, and I'll be able to make up for lost time.

Traveling solo is infinitely preferable to traveling with someone who is not a native-born or at least naturalized Airstreamer! And it's a whole lot easier to invite someone along when you want company that to leave someone behind when you want privacy!

Though I won't be completely solo— in the breakup, I got to keep custody of her cat because her new redneck boy-toy already had a dog.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:44 AM   #56
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Yes, I travelled alone.
It makes driving more of a challenge because I didn't stop. So I didn't do well a making reservations, calling ahead, etc. Also, If I had to back up, there was no one to spot for me. I adapted.
The good part is you cover a lot of miles that way.
Since I live alone, I have a tendency to talk people's head's off when I finally get to meet new people. I'm aware, and working on more listening, less talking.

But the bottom line is I can sit at home, or go see the country. It's my choice.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:17 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Ernest Hemingway once said...."never go on trips with someone you do not love".

And, someone you do not know very, very well....just too much close proximity for unfamiliarity, in my opinion.

I have found that I travel much differently, sans spouse ....less roaming, more returning to beloved places for longer periods of time.

It's still wonderful, and I am grateful for it, it's just different...and I do like not feeling that I have to cook or even prepare a proper meal if I don't want to.

Maggie
Old 07-26-2017, 10:34 AM   #58
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Ernest Hemingway once said...."never go on trips with someone you do not love".
Hemingway was right. But the corollary is, don't go on trips with someone who doesn't love you. That's where I messed up.

But at least now I'm the master of my own fate once again. And sufficiently bitter and cynical over recent events that I won't ever make the same mistake again! I'll be busy finding new mistakes to make!
Old 07-26-2017, 11:35 AM   #59
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Well, get back out there and go, Protag.....life is short, and you have a beautiful Interstate to take you wherever you want to go.

Maggie
Old 07-26-2017, 05:01 PM   #60
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Protag, When it comes to people...actions speak louder than words. I know some men as well as women that see relationships as a business deal, instead of a caring relationship. Don't get discouraged, and think all are like this. You most likely will run upon ''the one'' at a rally or kayaking on a lake. Believe me, being single is way better than married and lonely. Being in love with someone who has the same interests ... priceless. Right now the Hallmark channel fills this void for me. Get your rig ready for the Great American Eclipse on Monday August 21 2:30 pm. Who knows who or what you'll see at this event.
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote