Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2018, 08:32 PM   #81
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I just mentioned on another thread that I canny collapsible traffic cones in lieu of those red safety triangles, because they're taller, easier to see, and less likely to be run over. Plus they have other uses. You can set one up even with your trailer tongue, but offset to the driver's side so you can see it easily in your driver's side mirror, and use it as a visual guide for how far to back up.
I'll be travelling solo with a 1 year old cat. He's done well in the car, hopefully will enjoy the camping. I'm working on the leash but he's not too cool with that yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendrick.l.j View Post
Recently retired and Airstreaming solo. As with anything anywhere you will always need to put safety first. I have recently joined this forum and read it everyday to learn more. I have been met with amazing generosity and extremely useful information. Lots of support here, you will not be alone. You will make new, interesting friends that you will have for life. I know I have. Looking forward to at least 5 years of full-timing and then what happens. Improvise, adapt and overcome. Every challenge is a chance to learn something new.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spenfolder View Post
I love to travel alone. Some of my friends find it strange. I just figure it makes them nervous because they can't imagine spending time alone with themselves!.

Others above are right on. Pulling into any campground with my 16 footer gets me noticed. I have no trouble meeting new people on the road.

I'm still working, so no full timing... yet! Although, I love the idea of it.

Stan
Salt Lake City
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
True. One time I was visiting Camp Wilderness and ended up being put in a tight squeeze site. Two guys, both with big families across the drive came to help me back and started talking to me as I set up. They were so interested in the "silver trailer". Later I was done setting up. They came over again and wanted to see inside. We talked a bit more. They were impressed with the simplicity. One of them had a fifth wheel and the other a large trailer with slides. They had several kids each so space was needed. They asked me if I wanted a beer (I don't drink) , etc and were friendly.

Speaking of drama Coloradolady, I don't mind too much. I seem to be a trouble magnet or perhaps perceived as a good listener. People often open up and I listen, ask questions and give advice if possible. I don't really mind. It is one way that I may be able to help someone me thinks as I am limited on my handyman skills- better than before as a "trailer-ite", but still limited.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoWhereTowed View Post
Traveled for years with two cats. They loved it. One road in the passenger seat, one on the console and they loved the trailer. Looked out all day, when not sleeping and were able to see all sorts of wildlife. Sometime it takes a cat a while to get used to the travel, but they will eventually and having them around is well worth the effort.
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 07:32 AM   #82
3 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Leesburg , Florida
Hello all! Just found your site after a referral. I travel solo in my 22' Bambi Sport. I do get lonely and think the key is to balance rallies with alone time. Being female in a family campground is often lonely. But those I have met are great. You just have to embrace the experience.

On another note, after about 1 year (altogether) full time, I'm done with the dinette. I am removing it to put in good chair, ottoman and custom cabinet (with built in table.) Anyone else do this?
LuLuAdrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 07:11 AM   #83
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Hi LULU, I am very familiar with the experiences that you mentioned while streaming solo but it does not detract from my overall enjoyment of each trip. I don’t have time to wait for another Prince Charming to show up and share my interest in AS (husband passed away a little more than a year ago at 59). I would rather go alone than not go at all. A good book is a great way to combat those moments of loneliness.

Before you rip out the dinette, do a bit of research as to how you are going to secure a free standing table and chairs while towing. You won’t want thing flying around back there.

Be safe and go for it...

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 07:10 AM   #84
3 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Leesburg , Florida
Quote:
Hi LULU, I am very familiar with the experiences that you mentioned while streaming solo but it does not detract from my overall enjoyment of each trip. I don’t have time to wait for another Prince Charming to show up and share my interest in AS (husband passed away a little more than a year ago at 59). I would rather go alone than not go at all. A good book is a great way to combat those moments of loneliness.

Before you rip out the dinette, do a bit of research as to how you are going to secure a free standing table and chairs while towing. You won’t want thing flying around back there.

Be safe and go for it...
I have been thinking about this for 1 1/2 years. Only having a swivel chair and storage ottoman. I will strap them down as I do not want them screwed yo floor. Table will be in cabinet and swing out.
Old 09-12-2018, 07:58 AM   #85
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Cool, look forward to hearing about and hopefully seeing (pic ) of the remodel. If you need an extra set of hands, PM me. I’m not too far away.

Old 09-12-2018, 08:25 AM   #86
Rivet Master

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
You learn to hitch up solo. Practice..just like anything else in life. Usually when folks insist on "helping" it takes double the time and your never lined up correctly! You can also use a Swift Hitch (see Amazon).
LilNomad
LiLNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 06:51 AM   #87
3 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Leesburg , Florida
Quote:
Cool, look forward to hearing about and hopefully seeing (pic ) of the remodel. If you need an extra set of hands, PM me. I’m not too far away.
I tried to send picture through PM but it wouldn't go. Here it is.Click image for larger version

Name:	20181202_084946.jpeg
Views:	143
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	328946
Old 12-03-2018, 02:10 AM   #88
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Jennifer, it looks great. You have to be pretty darn proud of yourself and deservedly so. That was a big project to tackle and you did it. Sending high fives and fist bump. Excellent! Now go take her out on the road, have a blast.

Old 12-03-2018, 03:52 AM   #89
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Wenatchee , Washington
That really looks cozy.
WBCCI #7180
21Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 10:34 AM   #90

Currently Looking...
Boston , Massachusetts
Star owned vs. private ownership?

Hi,
I’m curious, but do you find that the state owned parks are less desirable than privately operated?
That’s been my experience.
Thanks
T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
they'd be blonde, six feet tall and......

I too am a "freewheeler" and a "Rivette" - woman Airstreamer traveling alone. Most people are quite friendly and helpful. There are a few really odd or downright scarey people out in RV land, but you can find wierd anywhere.

Most of the time, veteran campers will gladly jump in and help you with problems. Before long you'll find yourself helping others. Be a bit choosey about campgrounds - most are nice but there are a few where it's 80% residential with folks who are one step above homeless... not a nice place to leave out lawn chairs, grills, or unlocked propane tanks.

Paula
tjbrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 03:16 AM   #91
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
I have not found that state parks are less desirable. Some are very nice. I try to look at recent reviews and in return I add my review when I stay somewhere. I like reviews that say "we would definitely come back here." That says a lot, IMO. I have stayed at 2 KOAs that I will not go back to and they are privately owned.
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 04:36 PM   #92
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Tallahassee , Florida
The very first time I went camping, I took a friend, but a solo retired camper across the way with a big motorhome gave me a ton of great advice AND gave me a pin for my hitch to make my pull a lot safer. I owe a lot to him!
Old 09-20-2020, 11:09 AM   #93

1964 17' Bambi II
Santa Fe , New Mexico
You will love it. I have been soloing for 1 year from Mexico to British Columbia last summer. Loved fly fishing thru Montana ! If it is too cold in Montana head south, till you find an agreeable temperature . Always received well by all campers.
bambi ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 10:58 AM   #94
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Seattle , Washington
Soon to be Solo Airstreamer

I'm glad I found this thread, it contains great information about the solo AS traveler. I have decided on purchasing the 25' Globetrotter, the only thing holding me back was this future vision of traveling solo. Now I'm reassured and glad to know there are other solo travelers out there doing just fine, thank you.
BogeyPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 11:56 AM   #95
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Rochester , WASHINGTON
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyPro View Post
I'm glad I found this thread, it contains great information about the solo AS traveler. I have decided on purchasing the 25' Globetrotter, the only thing holding me back was this future vision of traveling solo. Now I'm reassured and glad to know there are other solo travelers out there doing just fine, thank you.
Just go for it !Let's just say you don't like it, you would be selling any new Airstream back into a very strong market.This market for all RVs will be strong for few years at least.
If you do like it, all the better.Frankly, it takes some time getting used to the freedom of the road.Do a year, it will be a totally different deal a year into it.
My advice, get a 3/4 Ton tow vehicle, it will keep a new to towing person in a lot better shape, as your skills build.That way you don't have to be weighing your golf equipment, like people with smaller tow vehicles do.Also, get a small inverter generator,for starters, so you always have some power.
Follow the weather, that's why these things have wheels!
Old 09-26-2021, 08:01 AM   #96
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I'm not ready to sit home alone when there's so many beautiful places to visit.
The choice isn't alone or not, it's home or cruising.
Nailed it

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 08:24 PM   #97

Virginia Beach , Virginia
Hello. I just joined the forum and have the same plan. I see that your post was from some time ago. Just wondered if you're still living the dream.
WanderDome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 06:29 AM   #98
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
The last 2 years I had my federal job, I lived full time on the Airstream. Retired, moved south to care for my Mom. Put the Airstream in storage. 3 years later, I am ready to get out of this huge house and move back on the Airstream full time. Also decided to go back to work as long as I can use it too. Moving to Montana in July.

Needless to say, the next chapter of the adventure is about to start!!
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 07:17 PM   #99

Virginia Beach , Virginia
Best wishes. Be safe.
WanderDome is offline   Reply With Quote