Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-10-2017, 03:38 PM   #43
Rivet Master
 
Foiled Again's Avatar
 
2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,809
THANKS FOR THE HELP

I just spent a week at Virginia Highland Haven... and had just finished getting disturbing and inside secured so I could hook up, went outside and pht-t-t. The wretched battery on the truck was dead. Of course roadside assistance would have been two hours away, if I still had it! (Called Good Sam 3 times in 6 years. They never promised response in under 2 hours... and typically 3 hours later I'd gotten the tire changed myself or someone had helped me... still with time to spare to call back and cancel the no-show service truck.) So.. three strikes dor GoodSam Roadaide. And BIG KARMA to all the great people who've stepped in to help. Anyway, just as I was Googling for a tow truck, two neighbors jumped in to help and got me started successfully. I left the trailer on site and went to Advance Auto in Roanoke where fortunately only one of the two batteries had a dead cell.
The beauty of Virginia Highland Haven Is only surpassed by that of those who camp there.

Paula
__________________

__________________
Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 03:51 PM   #44
Rivet Master
 
Lily&Me's Avatar

 
2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 12,978
That's a nice story, Paula.

I remember the rally you had at that Airstream park a number of years ago.

Maggie
__________________

__________________
🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚❤️
Lily&Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:59 AM   #45
3 Rivet Member
 
la nomade's Avatar
 
2008 16' Safari
1990 29' Airstream 290
stanfordville , New York
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 235
Images: 7
interesting....i am on my way there,i have friends who live near v.highland,so looking forward to this week there;one can always rely on the kindness of stangers!!!!glad it all worked out...and you are right,Sams club road assistance is not what it is supposed to be...i may change to something else...
__________________
la nomade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 01:55 PM   #46
1 Rivet Member
 
2016 27' Flying Cloud
Newport Beach , California
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1997 View Post
Not only do I travel alone but been a full-timer almost a year. No regrets....its a different lifestyle...do everything or do nothing, its up to you. Personally I started while working as a fed contract manager in Montana and Florida but now working the summer season at a campground in Michigan. Figure by October I will have better idea if I want to return to federal service.

Main thing is you learn you packed things on the RV you will not need and need things you packed in storage Its a trade off. I miss using my Big Green Egg smoker but it was to heavy to carry on the Airstream. Now shopping for a smaller smoker that's got multi functions.


They make a Green Egg Mini which weighs 37lbs. It's small enough to be portable. I'm going to use it with my 27FB and going full time
__________________
rchawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 02:45 PM   #47
1 Rivet Member
 
Chris_P's Avatar
 
1982 31' Excella
Montgomery , Texas
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 14
Airstreaming Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchawkins View Post
They make a Green Egg Mini which weighs 37lbs. It's small enough to be portable. I'm going to use it with my 27FB and going full time


Check out this little guy:
http://www.cobbgrillamerica.com/

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1196.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	285817

The rep is a classic airstream owner as well! Cool people!
__________________
Chris P
'82 Excella 31'
Lake Conroe
Montgomery, TX
Chris_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 03:23 PM   #48
2 Rivet Member
 
OSCS's Avatar
 
2017 25' Flying Cloud
Panama City , Florida
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 66
I'll be checking into Highland Haven on Monday and can't wait to see the views. I've heard nothing but great things about the park.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
THANKS FOR THE HELP




I just spent a week at Virginia Highland Haven... and had just finished getting disturbing and inside secured so I could hook up, went outside and pht-t-t. The wretched battery on the truck was dead. Of course roadside assistance would have been two hours away, if I still had it! (Called Good Sam 3 times in 6 years. They never promised response in under 2 hours... and typically 3 hours later I'd gotten the tire changed myself or someone had helped me... still with time to spare to call back and cancel the no-show service truck.) So.. three strikes dor GoodSam Roadaide. And BIG KARMA to all the great people who've stepped in to help. Anyway, just as I was Googling for a tow truck, two neighbors jumped in to help and got me started successfully. I left the trailer on site and went to Advance Auto in Roanoke where fortunately only one of the two batteries had a dead cell.
The beauty of Virginia Highland Haven Is only surpassed by that of those who camp there.

Paula
__________________
OSCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 11:59 PM   #49
1 Rivet Member
 
2016 27' Flying Cloud
Newport Beach , California
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 17
Okay. So updated report on the GE mini: fantastic!! Ribs chicken and fish smoked great. Big test was tri tip: never cooked it before. Nothing left. Some said it was the tenderest tri tip they ever had. Also ran errands while cooking and no good thermometer. Pumped at 190 degrees but everyone loved it
__________________
rchawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 12:40 AM   #50
3 Rivet Member
 
utahredrock's Avatar
 
1962 22' Safari
1973 25' Tradewind
1968 30' Sovereign
Salt Lake City , Utah
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 211
Images: 5
I full-timed alone for 2.5 years. Paradoxically during that time I felt more connected to people than I do when I am living a more conventional life. My dog, my Airstream, and the business I had at the time all forced me to socialize, and I really connected with fantastic people. I'm also fortunate to have friends and family around the country, so there were few places I went where I didn't know someone.

Enjoy! Airstreaming is the way to go in my book!
__________________
Jim Breitinger
Salt Lake City
An Airstreamer again as of May 2017
Former full-timer (2007-2009). Visit my Airstream tribute blog.
Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jimbreitinger/
utahredrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 10:43 AM   #51
New Member
 
wave man's Avatar
 
League City , Tx
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 2
Same boat...

Greetings all!
Terrific information and food for thought, thanks all. Even if a little late...
I'll be soloing myself before long, after some adjustment time hopefully getting the most important kinks out...

Your advice and warm responses all over this forum encourage me greatly.
Be Safe.
__________________
Men are but men, and the greatest men are they who soonest learn the simpler things. ROBERT E. HOWARD

What a man does for pay is of little significance. What he is, as a sensitive instrument responsive to the world's beauty, is everything! H. P. Lovecraft
wave man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 10:33 PM   #52
1 Rivet Member
 
2016 27' Flying Cloud
Newport Beach , California
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1997 View Post
Not only do I travel alone but been a full-timer almost a year. No regrets....its a different lifestyle...do everything or do nothing, its up to you. Personally I started while working as a fed contract manager in Montana and Florida but now working the summer season at a campground in Michigan. Figure by October I will have better idea if I want to return to federal service.

Main thing is you learn you packed things on the RV you will not need and need things you packed in storage Its a trade off. I miss using my Big Green Egg smoker but it was to heavy to carry on the Airstream. Now shopping for a smaller smoker that's got multi functions.


Mini green egg. Mine works great for smoking pizzas and BBQ
__________________
rchawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 05:30 AM   #53
Rivet Master
 
centennialman's Avatar

 
2016 20' Flying Cloud
Centennial , Colorado
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,230
I don't mind traveling solo...it's a good time to think about things, meet new folks and have quality time with the dog
__________________
Steve "Centennial Man"
centennialman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 06:08 AM   #54
4 Rivet Member
 
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Staunton , Virginia
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 495
I travel just me for most of each year. Been doin that for years and I love it. I can go where I want, when I want, how I want. I ain't ever been a people person so this life has been really great for me. I don't really socialize very much on the road, I like to be kinda invisible. But postin on this forum is great.

Folks always tell me I need a dog but that just sounds like a big hassle.

Love Airstreamin alone.
__________________

__________________
TravlinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Airstreaming at 80+ alone zekethebear Solo Streamers 33 06-12-2010 05:45 AM
Airstreaming in New Mexico Airstream25 Member Introductions 22 12-27-2006 01:29 PM
airstreaming keeps you young norbert Off Topic Forum 7 08-06-2006 02:46 PM
AIRSTREAMING in NEW ZEALAND? iamsusanq On The Road... 2 06-06-2005 10:49 PM
Family Airstreaming FireFighter 1970 - 1973 Sovereign 0 12-07-2004 12:59 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.