Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Solo Streamers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-26-2017, 06:47 PM   #61
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by streaminwild View Post
Protag, When it comes to people...actions speak louder than words. I know some men as well as women that see relationships as a business deal, instead of a caring relationship. Don't get discouraged, and think all are like this.
I'm only bitter and cynical about the fact that I didn't see the warning signs sooner. I'm not bitter and cynical about the way she acted. Just like you can't fault a cat for bacting like a cat or a dog for acting a dog, you can't fault a conniving gold-digging ingrate for acting a conniving gold-digging ingrate. I deserve better, and I demand better!

Hate is too strong an emotion to waste on people you don't care about, and believe me, I'd much rather not care about her anymore than to care and hate. So that's how I'm dealing with it. My give-a-rip meter is pegged on empty in her case.

My new level of indifference will be put to the test in just a couple of days; Friday is my goddaughter's 15th birthday, and my ex is blood-related to my goddaughter, so I expect to see the ex at the birthday party. So we'll very soon see if I can walk the walk as well as I talk the talk.

But enough of that… I'm not worried about finding the right one. That happened once, when I was 28 years old, half a lifetime ago. She died, killed by a drunk driver before we could tie the knot. If it never happens again for me, at least it happened once, and that's enough. But I won't turn away if another right one comes along; I'll just be more cautious about deciding whether she is the right one.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:28 PM   #62
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Whew I'm glad I don't gotta worry about that stuff. My wife and I get along great, we just don't live together well so I travel in the airstream while she's busy savin the planet and it all works out just fine.

I couldn't imagine havin to deal with some stranger taggin along. I couldn't even imagine havin to deal with a pet!

Just me and the road, that's how I like it.
TravlinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 06:15 AM   #63

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravlinMan View Post
I couldn't even imagine havin to deal with a pet!
I haven't been camping yet with just my cat, so we'll see how it goes. But talking to a cat while I drive is probably preferable than talking back to the radio or the GPS, because at least the cat can listen— even if the cat multitasks by listening, ignoring, and forgetting all at once!
Old 08-03-2017, 07:23 PM   #64
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
You crack me up Protagonist!🤣

But hang in there, I get ya, I'm going through my own ordeal now..
I choose to be buoyed by the wonderful people here and the incredible thrill of finally acting on a desire long thwarted as I look forward to my own AS... 😁
Thanks for the insightful and informative posts you've left all over these forums. /bow

What a man does for pay is of little significance. What he is, as a sensitive instrument responsive to the world's beauty, is everything! H. P. Lovecraft
wave man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 10:39 AM   #65
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Louisville , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I haven't been camping yet with just my cat, so we'll see how it goes. But talking to a cat while I drive is probably preferable than talking back to the radio or the GPS, because at least the cat can listen— even if the cat multitasks by listening, ignoring, and forgetting all at once!
Hmm... traveling with a cat. I've been curious if anyone does that. My cat HATES being in the car... even just to take her to a vet is an ordeal. I wonder if she would adjust with time.
DreamininMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 11:36 AM   #66
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
One does see cats in campgrounds every once in awhile, and sometimes they are even being walked on a leash.

Maggie
Old 08-11-2017, 01:20 PM   #67

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
One does see cats in campgrounds every once in awhile, and sometimes they are even being walked on a leash.

Maggie

Saw a pig being walked at Fort Wilderness, owner said it was more or less like having a dog.
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 04:25 PM   #68

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff1 View Post
Saw a pig being walked at Fort Wilderness, owner said it was more or less like having a dog.
Used to have a neighbor in my apartment complex who owned a Vietnamese potbellied pig. Said the same thing, that it's just like having a dog. Too bad the landlord didn't agree!
Old 08-11-2017, 04:55 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravlinMan View Post
I couldn't even imagine havin to deal with a pet!
Wish me luck. I didn't have Molly (an enthuistiac golden retriever) when I travelled alone in the MH, but I'm taking her with me in the next RV. I'm sure it will be a learning experience ....for me.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 05:23 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Most dogs do like to travel. We go with 4 smallish ones that probably add up to the weight of a Golden. [emoji3]. Just takes a bit of planning. Ours think the AS is a big silver doghouse, and they treat it like home after about one day in the road. They travel in crates in the TV and sleep in another set of them in the AS for safety.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 07:23 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff1 View Post
Had a neighbor at Mammoth Cave National Park this last week with a Pot Bellied Pig. Single lady traveling across country in a small sedan with her pig and 2 rabbits. A rare and strange sight indeed.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 07:37 PM   #72
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
I've traveled with my family normally, it's comforting to have help with backing up etc .. but I do have a 30' beast.
My kids are grown now and plan travel solo at some point, so will be trading or buying another much smaller unit just for when I'm alone. Happy trails, most everyone I've ever met at vintage trailer shows or on the road have been super friendly, and lets face it, everyone loves to see an Airstream !! You'll make friends wherever you go.
I met the lady who publishes the Vintage Trailer magazine, she tows a tiny can trailer across the country with a 50's Chevy !!
nickclifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 12:11 PM   #73
3 Rivet Member

texas , Texas
Traveled for years with two cats. They loved it. One road in the passenger seat, one on the console and they loved the trailer. Looked out all day, when not sleeping and were able to see all sorts of wildlife. Sometime it takes a cat a while to get used to the travel, but they will eventually and having them around is well worth the effort.
Old 08-21-2017, 12:39 PM   #74

Currently Looking...
Escondido , California
So very pleased to have found this thread!

I am contemplating my first AS and have been doing a bit of research. Just me and my trusty pooch Loki on the road sounds liberating from the day to day routine!

I do have a really stupid question though. How do you guys who are on the road solo hitch up when you are ready to roll? I witnessed my brothers hitch up their rigs but they usually have their wives helping. I can't see my husky backing up the vehicle!!!
LocdeBorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 12:47 PM   #75
3 Rivet Member

2005 34' Classic
tucson , Arizona
Just concentrate on being a happy and contented you, and you will attract other happy and contented folks.
dvgofaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 01:01 PM   #76
Rivet Master

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
Its like anything. You practice. In the beginning I purchased the camera to help you hitch up but I think I used it twice. I prefer to hitch up solo so I can focus on following my safety steps without distraction. The few times someone insisted on helping me back up, when I got out to look I wondered how in the world they thought the ball and trailer were lined up! Now I just thank them for the offer and tell them "its just part of the learning process".
LilNomad
LiLNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 05:38 PM   #77
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Yep. I just have a good sense for how it all is supposed to look and feel. I have a backup camera on the truck that helps but I just kinda know how it all lines up at this point. I get out a couple times sometimes but it's easy enough. I hate it when folks offer to 'help', it only makes it take longer. Same with leveling, I know how it's supposed to feel when I'm up on the blocks and when it's all level. 'Help' just messes it all up!
TravlinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 05:55 PM   #78
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Hitching up solo is not hard. Since you are new to this and even if you are not new, it is wise to use a step by step checklist. Make it is long as you need to and put as many steps as it needs to be thorough. Take your time, it is not a race. When people offer to help I sweetly smile and say ' I got it but thanks ". If it helps you at all, I am a 59 year old female traveling solo with a 2017 Classic with a Hensley hitch towed by a 2017 RAM 2500 and I have a really bad back so I keep things simple and easy. If I can do it so can you, if you really want to.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 08:29 AM   #79
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
LocdeBorg(no real name given), welcome. My technique involves getting out and looking a lot. There have been times that I really needed another set of eyes but most of the time I would just as soon do it by myself. Uninvited assistance can be more of a distraction than help. I have a back up camera on the Jeep. I can line up easy enough but have poor depth of field. Hard to tell when the hitch is over the ball. Thus the get out and look a lot technique. With practic you will find it gets easier.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 02:28 PM   #80

2012 Interstate Coach
I just mentioned on another thread that I canny collapsible traffic cones in lieu of those red safety triangles, because they're taller, easier to see, and less likely to be run over. Plus they have other uses. You can set one up even with your trailer tongue, but offset to the driver's side so you can see it easily in your driver's side mirror, and use it as a visual guide for how far to back up.