Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Solo Streamers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-21-2010, 05:40 AM   #101
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
airstream singles?

Greetings oldcar29!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcar29 View Post
Did you install the AC?
Nice rig.......
Oldcar29@yahoo.com
My Overlander was ordered from the factory with Air Conditioning. I ruined the compressor on the original Armstrong BayBreeze air conditioner by trying to operate at home on an electrical circuit that didn't provide the 20 AMPs required by the unit when the compressor started. The current air conditioner is a Coleman Mach series replacement installed in 1997.

The original owner ordered the Minuet with the air conditioner prep-package, but an air conditioner was never installed. One of the first things that I learned was that the Argosy painted surface is more sensitive to the condesate runoff than the Airstream's Plasticoated surface. My favorite Airstream dealer installed the Coleman Mini-Mach a short time after I purchased the coach in 2004.

Had I known then what I know now, I would have insisted upon an air conditioner with a condesate drain system that could be attached to the existing internal drain tube on the Minuet. It would be a toss-up on the Overlander whether I would go that far as I have never had problems with the sides of the coach experiencing any discoloration due to the condesate runoff.

The photo below is of my Overlander when I was 8 years old and the coach was 4 years old. One of its original owners is in the doorway of the coach. I am the one standing beside the pony's head. The original owners of the coach were regular visitors on my family's farm, and the '64 Overlander was their favorite among the several Airstreams that they owned both older and newer.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:05 AM   #102
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Classic FB
Anytown , Massachusetts
Welcome to all the new singles!

I have been single camping since 2007 with a (very) brief partner.

My suggestion to all you new singles is just get out there and go! You will meet wonderful people at every stop. If you let them know you are new they will be thrilled to help you and give you advice.

I guess I look at it like every rally and experience is personal what makes it a memory for one person may not be the same. Go and have fun and never look back! If a rally announcement tickles your fancy sign up and go even if it's a big or little one.

Jump in the shallow end the waters great...

AS'er's are great people single or coupled.

Just my two (2) cents.

Lin.
WBCCI #8701* TAC MA-1 * NEU UNIT
Gracie...A Liver & White GSP
Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
Whirlaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 06:26 PM   #103
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Richmond , Virginia
Kevin, thank you for the sharing what I can expect at a rally. I'm excited ... classes for newby's ... just what I need! Have so much to learn: dry camping and have maintenance questions. I have a 1998 25ft Safari. The greatest distance traveled: La Crosse, Wisconsin this summer; otherwise, enjoy the local state parks and Highland Haven Airstream Park in Copper Hill. Virginia has beautiful state parks!

Do the Free Wheelers have a website? Enjoyed your pictures ... thanks for the info and the encouraging words! Karen
khaines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:45 PM   #104
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
airstream singles?

Greetings Karen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehaines View Post
Kevin, thank you for the sharing what I can expect at a rally. I'm excited ... classes for newby's ... just what I need! Have so much to learn: dry camping and have maintenance questions. I have a 1998 25ft Safari. The greatest distance traveled: La Crosse, Wisconsin this summer; otherwise, enjoy the local state parks and Highland Haven Airstream Park in Copper Hill. Virginia has beautiful state parks!
I feel certain that you will enjoy the route between Virginia and Southern Illinois. During the 1960s, my family made the trip between here and Danville, Virginia with some frequency. I always enjoyed camping in Virginia . . . in those days, it was usually a pickup camper as my father was determined to have a pickup even though we lived in the city and it was a nuisance to park.

Quote:
Do the Free Wheelers have a website? Enjoyed your pictures ... thanks for the info and the encouraging words! Karen
The Free Wheelers had a website at one point, but I know that it was a struggle to keep a volunteer webmaster. It looks like the wbsite has been taken down -- at least I haven't been able to find it through any of the links that I have nor did a Google search turn up anything.

Something you might want to be aware of -- as a first-timer at the International Rally, you will receive some special treatment when registering upon arrival at the rally site:
  • You will be treated to a round of bells and noise makers to welcome you to the Rally.
  • You will receive a First Timers Ribbon for your name badge.
  • Your photo will be taken and displayed on the First Timers Board in the registration area.
During registration, you will receive a goody bag with your official International Rally Program as well as other goodies of varying types.

Also among the more interesting souveniers is an aerial photo of the rally site. It can be fun to locate your coach and have it as a frame memento of the Rally -- it is something the cost around $20 (it has been about 3 years since I last purchased a rally site photo). The photos are usually sold in the vendors area.

Enjoy your coach!

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 09-21-2010, 08:07 PM   #105
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Richmond , Virginia
Thanks for the heads up! Sounds like there will be fun to be had! Looking forward to this event!! Thanks again, Kevin. Karen
Old 09-23-2010, 07:51 PM   #106
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Richmond , Virginia
Kevin, do you have the patience for a few more questions? You mentioned that people are grouped i.e. vintage gp, singles,...I noticed on the registration form there is even a pet section. Is it necessary to stay in that area if you choose to bring your pet? Meals: is there a banquet, venders or is everyone on their own for meals? Karen
Old 09-23-2010, 11:11 PM   #107
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
airstream singles?

Greeting Karen!

Quote:
Kevin, do you have the patience for a few more questions? You mentioned that people are grouped i.e. vintage gp, singles,...I noticed on the registration form there is even a pet section. Is it necessary to stay in that area if you choose to bring your pet? Meals: is there a banquet, venders or is everyone on their own for meals? Karen
This is an issue that has been the subject of several changes over the past few years. There was a time, if you had a dog and snuck around the pet section rule you could expect to be asked to move. More recently though, parking in the pet section is optional and a call that you can make. If you caravan in, most pet owners stay with their group and all is well unless your dog has separation anxiety and cries or barks when you are away. I have always traveled with either one or two Chihuahuas, and have always parked with the Vintage Club and only had one rally where I had problems with my dog - - it was our first and she didn't quite know whether she liked her Airstream home . . . by the next big rally, she had taken possession of the Airstream and acted just like she did around home. Today, pet owners are interspersed throughout the rally site, but many prefer to be in the pet area as that is often where their friends are . . .

The main rally fee does not include any meals when we are looking at the International rally, but the following often have banquets at the International Rally (you purchase tickets for these events before the day of the event:
  • Unit. Some units will have a meal function that can range from a catered banquet to a Suburban Pool to a local restaurant, or a pot luck in the parking area.
  • Region. Each region typically has a catered banquet.
  • Vintage Airstream Club. The VAC, at the bare minimum, has a catered awards banquet following the Open House. Often the VAC also will have one or more pot lucks during the run of the International Rally.
  • Free Wheelers. The Free Wheelers usually have a catered banquet during the run of the International Rally, but have been known to Suburban Pool to a restaurant when the number in attendance doesnt justify the expense of a catered banquet.
  • Other Intra-Clubs. I am sure that most of the other Intra-Clubs have a catered dinner, pot luck or something along those lines; I don't have the experience with the other Intra-Clubs to comment on that issue.
  • Four O'Clocks/Social Hours: Most units as well as a number of the Intra-Clubs have nightly social hours that usually run between four and five p.m. Depending upon the size of the group, these social hours are often held under the awning of a member's coach. The VAC, for example, almost always has a tent setup near our parking area for our evening social hour and other functions. The Free Wheelers usually meet under the awning of one of the members . . .
  • Airstream Ice Cream Social. Unless things have changed (I wasn't able to make the 2010 International Rally) Airstream hosts an Ice Cream Social at the new trailer display.
  • Independence Day. It does vary from year to year, but there is usually a box dinner picnic on Independence Day . . . box lunches are catered and ordered in advance when this is an offering . . .
  • Vendor "Parties". Not always something that is offered, but at some International Rallys, vendors will have hot dog parties, ice cream and cake, ice water refreshment, soft drink refreshments, etc.
  • Other Socials. Often, there will either be four o'clocks or other types of socials where other (non-WBCCI affiliated) groups will have a scheduled social. These can be quite informal with word of mouth announcement to activities posted on the regular schedule of events. The Yahoo Airstream List hosted by Hunter has always had a social activity during the run of the rally. I also seem to remember that AirForums participants also have a social at some point during the run of the rally. I am sure that there probably others, but these are two examples that I have encountered.
  • Airstreamers and Ice Cream Connection. Either just before or just after (sometimes both), local ice cream parlors will be inundated with Airstreamers as it seems that they are a favorite place to go for a treat at those times.
One thing that I have learned through all of the International Rallys that I have attended is that you rarely have to eat alone unless that is your choice. Over the years, friendships develop and these Airstreaming friends often become a second family - - - I liken the International to attending a huge family reunion in many ways. Many also enjoy the adventure of dining in the local restaurants - - - two of my favorites aren't too very far from DuQuoin - - Tom's Place in DeSoto, and the Giant City State Park Lodge in Makanda, IL. Tom's Place is right on US 51 South of DuQuoin and The Lodge is just a couple of miles off of US 51 to the South . . .

Some examples of the above:

Catered VAC Wagon Wheels Picnic -- 19999

VAC Social Hour at 1999 International Rally

VAC Social Hour at Rally Site 1999

Airstream Dump Station Cha-Cha-Cha Prior to Departure for Vintage Parade onto Rally Grounds -- 1999

Special Event -- 1999 International Rally -- Bicycle Towing Demonstration -- 1948 Airstream Liner (22')

I am really looking forward to the 2011 International Rally now.

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 09-25-2010, 01:37 PM   #108
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Richmond , Virginia
You are a wealth of knowledge Kevin! I so appreciate the time it took you to share this information! My registration form and fee have been sent in and am really looking forward to this event too! Embarking on something new comes with mild trepidation, which now has resolved. I do plan to bring my westie, unless the forecast is for exceedingly hot weather. On the way back from Wisconsin, July 2nd, we stayed in Ohio (near Toledo) on a farm and had to use the furnace. It got down in the 50's overnight. Walked out to the cornfields and took great pictures of the setting sun on the airstreams and flora. We all wish for moderate temperatures with a breeze.

I will plan to carry supplies that will allow me to whip up a casserole for a potluck or appetizers for happy hour. I often cook at home, freeze and enjoy when I get where I'm going. Less fuss, mess, & dishes= more relaxation time! At Highland Haven, campers gather at the host's site for great conversation and refreshments at 4 p.m. The dogs are invited and have their own chairs! Then, those who care to go together to dinner at a nearby restaurant. Your recommendations for restaurants were welcomed, as well.

I read that my parking assignment will be sent to me in January. Now that I know that I am not mandated to the pet section, I believe my preference would be to camp with region 3. Perhaps, I could call and ask for that assignment. I, at the moment, am a member at large. I have not had the time to visit the 4 different units in Virginia. This would give me the opportunity to visit with some people from the different units about their activities and community involvement. It seems that the WBCCI has difficulty with the changing times. The new president seems to have strong leadership skills as does the new region 3 president. I feel encouraged that the organization will thrive and I look forward to being a participating member. Airstreamers are a community of fine people, of which you are an exemplar member.

Thanks for the pictures in which fellowship abounds! Have a great day and thanks again! Karen
Old 09-29-2010, 06:27 PM   #109
1 Rivet Member

2003 22' International
San Francisco , California
Me, too. I'm living in the SFBayArea, recently bought a used 22' Airstream & Chevy Tahoe and drove it home from TX. I'm planning a Baja journey for late November (soon!) with my dog. Would like to chat with anybody interested in making that trip, sharing expenses and driving. I'm female, 66, like to laugh, tell and hear stories, listen to music, cook and eat, read, make things, hike and swim, be quiet sometimes, movies. Just like most of us. stephani's home page site
stefle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:00 PM   #110
1 Rivet Member

2003 22' International
San Francisco , California
Hey, there are so many of us solo streamers, would those interested meet up somewhere in Baja CA in December? Maybe Mulege, about halfway down? Or maybe at Richard's trailer park in Los Barriles, 10 miles south of La Paz. He's been blogging on this forum in the 'travels' posting section. He's got a job managing an RV park there. We could get him off to a good start.
stefle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:00 PM   #111
HCR
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Full time traveler
Hello everyone. I have been a solo traveler in my '23 ft. Award for almost 10 years as a full-timer. Finally wore the little trailer out and just completed purchase on Tues. of '06 25 ft. Safari--a trailer I have wanted for some time.

I look forward to seeing you on the road and have considered going to Baja for winter. Have camped on W. Coast of Mex., and loved it.
HCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 10:18 AM   #112
4 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Seattle , Washington
Send a message via MSN to JulianneJ
You can put me on the single and fabulous Airstreamer's list. There's a group for everything else why not us?

I always have a well stocked wine collection in my trailer to go with the cheese!

2003 International CCD
JulianneJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:32 AM   #113
3 Rivet Member

Well, I'll bring this thread back to the top of the page, I am a fairly young (39 for another month), single Airstreamer, been full-timing since October of 2010. I was born in Asheboro, NC and had never lived anywhere outside the county I was born in, I'd never even spent more than one week at a time outside of it. A few months ago I sold most of my possessions, bought my former boss's 1988 345 motorhome (that he bought new and I had lusted after ever since) did a little overdue maintenance on her while parked in my parents driveway, made a couple of short trips to make sure everything was in good operating order then I took off planning to see America. I am divorced and I am traveling with my two dogs Kirby and Suzie. They are a lot of company but you don't get too lonely Airstreaming. Right now I am staying at Penn Wood Airstream Park after leaving Alumapalooza 2011 and plan to stay here a couple of months before heading further into the North East then pointing this big silver bullet West. I have nothing but time and no real schedule, if I find a place I like I stay for a while. If a place I wanted to stay a while isn't all I expected it to be I leave. It's a great life so far and I hope I can see at least all 48 contiguous states before returning to NC (If I ever return!?!) I had long dreamed of life on the road and finally realized the only thing stopping me since the divorce were all my possessions so I ditched them, all but my Harley which is my toad and I am living out my dream and loving every minute of it! I hope to see the singles network idea pick up, unless I am missing something it doesn't appear that much has materialized since the start of this thread. Are people still interested in the idea of a singles network on the AIR Forums or is there one and I'm just not seeing it? Well, that's my story, I hope some of you can relate and I'll see you on the road! Added a few pics, First one of my Airstream, the "ALUMABUS" outside the service center at The Airstream Factory in Jackson Center, Ohio, the second one of Kirby riding calmly in my lap on the way to Penn Wood and the third one of Suzie relaxing on the engine hump.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0652.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	272.0 KB
ID:	132579   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0708.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	220.2 KB
ID:	132580  

Name:	DSCN0660.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	281.6 KB
ID:	132581  
8rmesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:39 PM   #114

Currently Looking...
Richmond , Virginia
Single airstreamers unite! Love it!
Wyldventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 06:53 PM   #115
4 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Single and streamin' threw Colorado this month!

2003 International CCD
Old 07-25-2011, 07:22 PM   #116
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
airstream singles?

Greetings MEANlowGreen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEANlowGREEN View Post
I hope to see the singles network idea pick up, unless I am missing something it doesn't appear that much has materialized since the start of this thread. Are people still interested in the idea of a singles network on the AIR Forums or is there one and I'm just not seeing it?
There isn't a specific sub-forum for Airstreaming singles here on the Forums, but there are at least two orgnizations out there for single Airstreamers. Probably the oldest and at least until recently, the most active, the Wally Byam Caravan Club Free Wheelers -- most large rallys have special parking for the Free Wheelers, and the Free Wheelers have nightly social hours much like the Vintage Airstream Club. There is also a Yahoo Group for Airstreaming Singles. The Yahoo group for Airstreaming Singles has never really taken off, and posts are infrequent at best to the group.

I was a Free Wheeler until October of last year when I found my soulmate. . . I enjoyed my 16 years as a Free Wheeler, but a new life chapter has opened for me that I had never anticipated.

Enjoy your adventure!

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 07-26-2011, 11:46 PM   #117
1 Rivet Member

1976 25' Caravanner
Port Hueneme , California
Wonder if there are any rallies in the western U.S. (California Arizona, Oregon or Nevada this fall or winter. If there are let me know.

Thanks, WBa1
wba1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 06:18 AM   #118
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Single at the Slabs

I'll put together a Singles rally at Slab City in January. The last one was a blast!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SurSlabC7sticker.png
Views:	234
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	136119  
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:37 AM   #119
4 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtStream View Post
I'll put together a Singles rally at Slab City in January. The last one was a blast!
Thanks Michael I'll try to make it this year!
Will you be in Q this winter? Stopped by to see Mike & Tracy in Silverton the other day as I was passing threw. They'll be back in Q for the winter.
~Julianne

2003 International CCD
Old 08-10-2011, 03:15 PM   #120

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Atlanta , Georgia
Any ideas?

I am a very curious person who loves to try many new things.

Have seen many RVs and Airstreams on the road and have always thought that I would like to been a passenger/helper on a trip to see what it is like.

I am 71, male, live in GA, retired and have been in over 65 countries. I'd be willing to pay more than my share of the on the road expenses.
Any idea of how to meet up with someone who is interested.
jpk2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
singles