Old 10-20-2013, 08:48 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
St David , Arizona
A little too solo...

So I recently went full time in my 26' Argosy. I absolutely love it. A few more modifications and fixes and I am very mobile. I am full solar and batteries.

I am 42 years old, athletic, very adventurous, and lusting for incredible memories.

The problem is I don't want to do this solo. I want to share all this adventure that is literally weeks away. The mountains, the sea, the trails, the white lines flying by. This adventure wouldn't be complete without a partner.

This lifestyle is so unique I can't even begin to imagine the difficulty finding that "someone" who is willing to live like this.

My little rant. I apologize.

Old 10-20-2013, 09:47 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Hot Springs Village , Arkansas
Shelters are full of friendly and loving companions who would give anything to share an adventure of life with you.

Maybe not exactly your point, I apologize, just work with dog rescue.

Have fun!

"A good man takes care of his animals, but wicked men are cruel to theirs." Proverbs 12:10
daymonjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:13 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
St David , Arizona
The thought did occur to me but I work 24 hour shifts and I can't in good conscience leave a furry friend alone like that in an Argosy.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:14 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Sounds like you are questioning your original decision to do it solo.

I would rather do it solo than be saddled with the wrong partner. Remember that new solutions have new problems.

If you like music, go to some music festivals.

Good luck.

Dan
Old 10-20-2013, 10:17 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
St David , Arizona
I can solo but it seams like half of the fun would be missing. I suppose a good road trip will help me decide if solo full time or coupled full time is better for me. Considering my luck with women up to this point, I should shut up and solo! LOL!!!
Old 10-20-2013, 10:43 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Solo has some advantages. I used to go to a lot of BMW motorcycle rallys. I preferred going by myself because I met more new people. If I went with a friend, we would mostly hang out together.

Some folks just don't enjoy solo. My brother is single but won't go anyplace by himself. He just does not enjoy it. I am married and enjoy going solo. I would prefer that my wife go with me but she can't/won't, so I go solo. It beats staying home and missing the adventure.

Dan
Old 10-20-2013, 11:19 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
St David , Arizona
Being fulltime, the adventure somewhat ceases to be the Argosy itself. It becomes home real quick which IS nice. It will be the travel.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:23 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post

I would rather do it solo than be saddled with the wrong partner. Remember that new solutions have new problems.

If you like music, go to some music festivals.

Good luck.

Dan
Yep.

Maggie
Old 10-21-2013, 05:30 AM   #9
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderingjee View Post
I can solo but it seams like half of the fun would be missing. I suppose a good road trip will help me decide if solo full time or coupled full time is better for me.
It's a lot easier to invite someone over when you want company than to kick someone out when you want privacy.

Go solo but be social. Attend a rally from time to time, or even host your own rally at your favorite campground.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

"In a perfect world, I'd be given enough time to wrap up one emergency before the next one starts." Freefall2013
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 05:07 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
A Little Too Solo . . . .

Greetings Wanderingjee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderingjee View Post
So I recently went full time in my 26' Argosy. I absolutely love it. A few more modifications and fixes and I am very mobile. I am full solar and batteries.

I am 42 years old, athletic, very adventurous, and lusting for incredible memories.

The problem is I don't want to do this solo. I want to share all this adventure that is literally weeks away. The mountains, the sea, the trails, the white lines flying by. This adventure wouldn't be complete without a partner.

This lifestyle is so unique I can't even begin to imagine the difficulty finding that "someone" who is willing to live like this.

My little rant. I apologize.
I can understand your intuitive desire to share the adventure, but don't let "freewheeling" scare you. There is a rather large group of FreeWheelers in the WBCCI (Wally Byam Caravan Club International) as well as a group for solo travelers in Good Sam (I believe that their group is called "Solo Sams" or something similar). My experience is with the WBCCI FreeWheelers group. I was 36 when I first joined in 1995, and enjoyed my association with the group (I now have a partner so am no longer eligible to be a FreeWheeler, but continue my Lifetime Membership with the WBCCI.

For nearly 15 years, I traveled solo for about 6 weeks every summer, and you will find that you are never a stranger for long in a campground. You must be prepared for the onlookers who, most often, will offer assistance with spotting and backing your rig upon arrival as well as assistance with hitching. There will be odd expressions when you accomplish any of these activities without assistance. I have hitched my coaches solo for so many years that I prefer to hitch by myself without assistance. To a lesser degree, I prefer to park the coach myself, but in low light conditions I find a spotter helpful in avoiding those hidden obstacles.

Rallys and Caravans can be quite nice for solo travelers as both offer built-in social aspects as well as relieving some of the "decisions". Rallys, particularly those with a solo traveler/FreeWheeler/Solo Sam presence can be a good option particularly if you are fairly new to solo travel with a travel trailer. Caravans also offer opportunities to discover attractions and features that one who is not familiar with the territory might miss. I have fond memories of the many places that I have visited while Caravanning that I would have missed had I been traveling alone. Most caravan leaders are familiar with some of the needs of solo travelers and will work to make your experience enjoyable.

Good luck with your adventure!

Kevin

P.S. You might consider blogging as an alternative means of sharing your travel experiences. There are a few examples linked here on the forums as well as a few threads that have followed specific travel adventures of Forums members.
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 06:40 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Hey WJ, I get what you are saying.

My camper is not my hobby. It is a tool, that keeps me comfortable while I do my hobby.

I second the music festival suggestion. It's a social event. Many wilderness areas and campgrounds are at least partially inhabited with folks that would rather be alone, or be spending quality time with loved ones.

I'm in a camping club and there is always hundreds of people that I know when I go camping. I spend more time with my camping friends that I spend with my best friends. You make close ties when you camp with someone for 3 or 4 days straight. I see my friends at home for just a few hours a week.

I get your point about sharing too. You can tell someone about an experience, but shared memories are somehow more special. It's not often that I make myself laugh. It's is nice to be alone from time to time but I get enough of that at home.

About the lady situation. The law of averages says that you are due for good luck. Bad luck has no legs, and can't follow you for very long before it gets tired of crawling around after you. Do what you like to do, and chances are you will meet someone who is like minded. I bet there is some nice lady out there somewhere who is praying to find a smart, rugged fireman, who can sing her a love song. You'll find her when you are ready. Give me a holler if she has a sister. Who am I kidding....they'll only break our hearts. ha ha
Old 10-21-2013, 07:27 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
According to my female friends, there is no way a fireman could be single...

"A good traveller has no fixed plans, and is not intent upon arriving"
-- Lao Tzu
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:26 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
As a fellow solo camper I understand your perspective. I would agree with others on several points. One, it is better to be single that wish you were and, often it is difficult to find another person that shares multiple interests.

You are correct in that it WOULD be fantastic to have someone to share the traveling experience with but it often does not work. I travel internationally and went for a summer to Australia, New Zealand by way of Asia. It was a fantastic trip. I planned camping, touring in a motorhome, and many other activities. I invited my cousin to share the experience. I talked over every aspect with her, sent her the plans all prior to going and she was fine with it all and made no suggestions. When we arrived in Japan the differences surfaced- issues with walking, eating, time. She wanted to dine in splendor and enjoy things at a slow pace with night lounge visits. I planned a once in a lifetime visit covering major sites with a moderate itinerary.

I am perfectly comfortable being alone but I also enjoy interaction. What some posters stated is an important consideration that, most families and campers are on their adventure with the expectation of spending time with each other or a time to not be bothered; however, if people plan together to camp, it is a different situation altogether. Rallies, Caravans, etc are a way to camp and share. That is what I plan to do when I can get time to use my rig more.
If you are somewhat a loner now then you will be fine. If you are a people seeker and spend little time alone now, then your concern is warranted.

A cat is a good friend though with your schedule avoid a siamese or abys. They fend for themselves but they need attention too.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:35 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Sacramento , California
This thread hits right home with me. I'm single and the proud owner of a '64 Safari that I have spent since April restoring. I've been to three rallies and I've camped several times on my own at different parks. I have lots of ideas of trips I'd like to take, but it sure would be nice to have someone to share the experience with. I even hesitate to go alone as it seems rather strange to camp alone. Then I go anyway, and I'm always happy I did. These single camping groups sound intriguing. I'm going to have to check them out. Or, better yet, I might meet that special woman. I do bring my dog and he's great, but not much of a conversationalist.