Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > Other Clubs
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-10-2016, 04:01 PM   #41
4 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Nevada City , California
Pyramid Lake rally, I'm in!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
WaLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 04:17 PM   #42
2 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB International
2016 26' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
Wow Breezing those are interesting seats. Are those regular ladders with seats mounted to them.
Yes. You'll see the gamut, from small step ladders to purpose built Pyramid platforms. The lower the lake has got, the less I've found it necessary to have a serious ladder. Personally, I've had some of my best sessions wading some of the drops.
Breezinalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 06:39 PM   #43
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
Fishing Rally, count me in!
Thomas31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 07:46 PM   #44
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Smile

Has anyone fished the Tetons in Spring? The Snake and its tributaries? Is April too early?

So many questions...

We camped at Gros Ventre in August (not fishing) and are eager to get back.
Old 10-17-2016, 11:58 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
Doug

Kind of is good enough. Does not hurt the stories you tell when you get home one little bit. And if anyone comments on your style, just tell them it's the East Coast method ..... unless of course they are from the East Coast.

Just about every fly shop can help you with the flys for their area. A bit of research on dry flys, nymphs, and streamers helps so you understand what is happening. Watch a few videos on fly tying. The good tyers spend some time on why they are making the fly the way it is constructed.

Presentation is supposed to be key. A lot of bad flys will get a hit if they are presented correctly. That would be in front of the fish's nose in a natural fashion with no drag. A lot of good flys don't get a hit because the fish are feeding on something specific and the fly is not to their taste. That is where the experts get hit and the flailers get to watch.

It does help a lot to get good local info. I picked up a guide book that had interviews with about a dozen different guides. I am convinced that you can learn a lot from a guide if you are willing to listen and try new approaches. I am also convinced that you can have a lot of fun and catch a lot of fish without ever even watching a guide. It's all in how and what you want to learn.

Part of fly fishing is a zen kind of experience. It can be an emotional escape that lets you develop a mental focus that moves you away from the day to day stresses that wear us down. It helps a lot to not keep score and to be in it to have fun.

Hope you find time to give it a try. Stay dry and safe. Pat
Thanks Pat:

Actually had an opportunity to give Fly fishing a try. My son took me fishing (with a guide) as a birthday present for a few days in the Canadian Rockies - WOW what fun. To say I'm hooked would be an understatement! Even caught (and released) a few fish..... Doesn't get much better than that.

Now I cannot wait to get south this winter to try my hand at some southern spots. A meet-up with other Airstream folks would be fun also if others are interested.

Cheers
Doug
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2778.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	326.3 KB
ID:	273656   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2827.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	269.6 KB
ID:	273657  

Old 10-17-2016, 12:06 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Artic Fox that is a beautiful photograph with lots of emotion in it.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 06:07 AM   #47

Currently Looking...
Chicago , Illinois
I'm new to A/S and am heading out on a long road trip starting in Jan. After a stop at the A/S HQ for a bumper to bumper check up, I'll be heading south to FL and then west. I'll have a bunch of fly fishing gear for salt and fresh water application. I'm hoping I can connect with some like minded A/S and fly fishing types along the way. Pretty flexible in terms of itinerary (i.e., I really don't have anything set in stone). Is this a good spot to get connected with fellow fly fishing folks?
joleary60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 09:15 AM   #48
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Jo - it's a start. The folks are a bit spread out, but they do check in a bit.

Suggest you keep folks apprised of your progress and you will likely get a bite.

Good luck on your adventure. Travel safe and keep an eye on the weather. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 09:24 AM   #49
2 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB International
2016 26' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Hey Jo, I'm known to toss a fly while on the road. Hit me up and we'll throw at some fish.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0131.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	276299   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0350.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	276300  

Name:	IMG_1536.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	333.4 KB
ID:	276301   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2302.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	435.0 KB
ID:	276302  

Name:	IMG_4528.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	233.9 KB
ID:	276303   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3825.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	293.6 KB
ID:	276304  

Name:	IMG_4723.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	290.4 KB
ID:	276305  
Old 12-03-2016, 09:44 AM   #50
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joleary60 View Post
I'm new to A/S and am heading out on a long road trip starting in Jan. After a stop at the A/S HQ for a bumper to bumper check up, I'll be heading south to FL and then west. I'll have a bunch of fly fishing gear for salt and fresh water application. I'm hoping I can connect with some like minded A/S and fly fishing types along the way. Pretty flexible in terms of itinerary (i.e., I really don't have anything set in stone). Is this a good spot to get connected with fellow fly fishing folks?
Hey Jo, We are new at both our AS and to Fly Fishing. My wife just retired and moved back home from Chicago. We got introduced to fly fishing at Chicago Fly Fishing Outfitters; great people and great introduction to the sport. We have not tried salt water fishing but there's a lot of folks that do, my neighbor included. Our local shop, Orlando Outfitters, has been helpful.

We recently (October) spent a week in NC at SmokeMont Campground and fished the Bradley Fork which has a trail that parallels the stream and had a great time. We came across the Western North Carolina Fly Fishing Trail (http://www.flyfishingtrail.com/) and had planned to fish more of the streams on that map, but ended up having a great time just fishing along the trail at SmokeMont. It was a beautiful area.

We're currently planning a trip out West for April-June, although we may have to extend that because there's more being added to the list daily! We got into fly fishing mainly for the trips to the mountains in the East and for our trips West. Drop us a line if you'd like to get together when you get in Florida. Take care and Safe Travels.
Richard
StrmyWeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 04:01 PM   #51
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Tucson , Arizona
Joleary60 and StrmyWeather. Welcome both. Thanks for the NC fishing trail lead. Someday I'll get back that way.

In the West, April - June is not the best fishing because the snow melt makes the rivers high and cloudy. Sorta like trying to get a rise on a damp dirt road. If you're locked into this time-table, you pretty much have to find a spring creek like some of those in the the Emigrant Valley north of Yellowstone (many on private land) or the Judith Basin, or fish downstream of something that clears the water - the Madison north of Ennis Lake, the Missouri below Holder Dam or the Big Horn below the Yellowtail Dam. Most places don't fish well until after June 15th or even June 30th, particularly if you're partial to drys. By mid-to-late July you might luck into a Stonefly hatch. If you do, hold onto your waders because the fish will knock your socks off!.
The Ice Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 01:07 PM   #52
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Over a year since the last post. Folks, either we are getting a lot of fishing done, or we are seriously distracted. For me, it's distracted. Did not even purchase a local license as I expected to do some Colorado time. Did not work, so New Years resolution is to do better in 2018. Then a video explained to the dummy that site number one, the close one, was a spawning area and not recommended for fishing until April. Bummer, bummer, bummer ..... so what to do? Jan is planning month, working out an approach for the year is in process. Feb is the local Fly Fishing Show - got to maximize that event. A bunch of destinations have this white coating until about June that makes AS travel of questionable safety. But the loss of five months is just not acceptable.

So ....

1) What is your opinion on fishing catch and release from Jan-May. California has opened some streams to this approach. Investigating this as an option to pursue.

2) Any Western State recommendations for good trout fishing in the March to June period?

3) Any great campgrounds on the edge of a good trout stream?

4) A fishing caravan/rally was suggested, but folks have such different schedules that I think we need to approach the issue as one big year long rally with a lot of different destinations and an expectation that from time to time we may cross paths.

Time for you all to brag about 2017 and plan our 2018. Go for it. Pat
Old 01-13-2018, 05:23 PM   #53
1 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
westlake village , California
fly fishing

new to Air Streaming but dreaming about using the AS to go fly fishing. let me know if you start a club. i currently live in SoCal which makes local fly fishing only a dream due to distances and crowds. my wife and i are seriously planning on escaping this overpriced and overcrowded traffic jam of an area. i want to be fishing not fighting for a parking spot or dodging rude drivers. would be nice to have unknown friends around to share the fun of being on the river and in nature not in traffic and on asphalt. a club would be a perfect venue to facilitate some recreational water thrashing.
goneupnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 05:29 PM   #54
1 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
westlake village , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Climber View Post
Has anyone fished the Tetons in Spring? The Snake and its tributaries? Is April too early?

So many questions...

We camped at Gros Ventre in August (not fishing) and are eager to get back.
Fished Idaho and Montana last spring. Spring run off made it impossible to do anything except in the dam controlled Missouri River. April is early so be sure to check with locals on the spring runoff. Its beautiful to see but definitely not for fishing.
goneupnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 06:16 PM   #55
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
GUN - don't know if you know these folks, but it would be worth visiting one of their meetings and learning what they do.

www.conejovalleyflyfishers.com

The Montana thing is often a locals know where place at some points in time. Brother started fishing in April and did better in May.

Hope you get out some. Good Luck. Pat
Old 01-14-2018, 04:56 PM   #56
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
In post #52 question #3 was - Any great campgrounds on the edge of a trout stream?

First answer came this morning. Bakers Hole Campground, North of West Yellowstone, is next to the Madison River. Supposed to be good fishing. (See HW191/287)

Keep a smile on your face. Travel safe. Pat
Old 01-15-2018, 12:25 AM   #57
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Tucson , Arizona
PKI

Not so fast. It's true that the Madison is a trout stream, but during the summer the water in the upper Madison is generally to warm for trout of any significance. The Madison is formed by the confluence of the Gibbon and the Firehole and is pretty warm. The upper Madison is generally considered anything between it's creation and Hebgen Lake.

Oh, but in the fall ... If you're going to stay there try it after September 15th or so.
The Ice Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:20 AM   #58
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
TIM - Thanks for the added information. There are a lot of things that make shoulder seasons in Yellowstone more appealing.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:19 PM   #59
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Des Peres , Missouri
I'm a fellow fly fisherman and recently bought my first airstream 25ft
Count me in for any trout fishing rally
I have fished the west Yellowstone area rivers a few times and will be back
Retiring on May 25th
Heading west t the end of May
dmbecke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 09:55 AM   #60
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Hey...did someone mention flyfishing? Now we're talking. I just found this thread and am an avid flyfisher as my forum name would indicate. Been having health issues which has kept me off the water lately but always interested in flyfishing talk. I'm actually the new president of Arizona Flycasters Club here in the metro Phoenix area. Keep the talk going and I'll contribute all I can.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote