Old 01-15-2018, 12:25 AM   #57
3 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Tucson , Arizona
PKI

Not so fast. It's true that the Madison is a trout stream, but during the summer the water in the upper Madison is generally to warm for trout of any significance. The Madison is formed by the confluence of the Gibbon and the Firehole and is pretty warm. The upper Madison is generally considered anything between it's creation and Hebgen Lake.

Oh, but in the fall ... If you're going to stay there try it after September 15th or so.

The Ice Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:20 AM   #58
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
TIM - Thanks for the added information. There are a lot of things that make shoulder seasons in Yellowstone more appealing.

PKI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 12:19 PM   #59
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Des Peres , Missouri
I'm a fellow fly fisherman and recently bought my first airstream 25ft
Count me in for any trout fishing rally
I have fished the west Yellowstone area rivers a few times and will be back
Retiring on May 25th
Heading west t the end of May
dmbecke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 09:55 AM   #60
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Hey...did someone mention flyfishing? Now we're talking. I just found this thread and am an avid flyfisher as my forum name would indicate. Been having health issues which has kept me off the water lately but always interested in flyfishing talk. I'm actually the new president of Arizona Flycasters Club here in the metro Phoenix area. Keep the talk going and I'll contribute all I can.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 10:16 AM   #61
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Brad - good to hear from you. Don't think of Arizona as a fly fishing meca, but my ignorance is a perfect excuse for you to school the thread on local opportunities. Pat
Old 01-18-2018, 11:34 AM   #62
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
There are plenty of opportunities to flyfish in Arizona although most of it is still water. Most of our moving water is too small and in such remote places, I'm just not able to hike in to. Some of the best still water fishing is on the Apache Indian Reservation, places like Earl Park, Hawley, Reservation, Sunrise Lakes. Plus you get the chance to catch the state's elusive Apache Trout.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 12:47 PM   #63
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Quoted from Arizona's Fish & Game - Apache is one of Arizona’s two native trout species and is the Arizona state fish. Length: 6 to 24 inches. Weight: 6 ounces to almost 6 pounds.

Agree with that hiking problem. Old age does have it's disadvantages. And that is the reason to make a call out for camp grounds next to trout water. Though the concept can result in tight quarters and combat fishing is not the preference of many. But wouldn't the experience of old age be an advantage in that effort?

So, do you tie your own? Have you moved to streamers yet? What's your best fish story? What .......? Pat
Old 01-18-2018, 12:59 PM   #64
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Grand Rapids , Michigan
Another suggestion for camping right along the River is the Gravel Pit just South of Last Chance, ID. This is on the Henry’s Fork of the Snake River. It will be crowded in late June for the Green Drake hatch, but good fishing after that as well with some of the other hatches that will come along.

This would be a Boondocking situation . . .

This photo was snapped on our way out of that spot last year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5CC45A40-9505-4034-98BB-5ED962F575B7.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	300.0 KB
ID:	302618  
MIFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 03:46 PM   #65
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Looks like an interesting area. Thanks for posting. Pat
Old 01-18-2018, 05:24 PM   #66
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Oak Park , Illinois
Would like to expand the region...may have to start a new tread for Midwest U.S. Fly Fishing Airstreams. Do want to hijack this thread.

2017 25' Safari FB
2010 F250 Lariat
FishByFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 05:45 PM   #67
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
FBF - this thread was not posted for over a year. No reason to not expand the interest. We travel and would appreciate info on other areas. May not be of value for a while, but of interest now. Go, go, go!

We saw a team entering a stream to try a bit of line work when we went covered bridge visiting. It's not just Montana where folks like to fly fish.

A good fish story puts a smile on your face, just like a shiny does. Pat
Old 01-19-2018, 09:51 AM   #68
1 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
westlake village , California
fly fishing

I hope to start doing some fly tying while traveling and fishing. Can anyone recommend a good vice or tool set. As with most stuff these days there are a multitude of choices and it hard to discern what is really necessary and what is nice but not necessary. I know it does not pay to go cheap but I also don't want to drop a ton of money if I don't have to. A good case to contain everything while traveling would make my wife happy. Any help would be appreciated.
goneupnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 10:26 AM   #69
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
Following...

Early June, fly fishing the Rio Grande near South Fork, CO and Curecanti National Recreation Area on the Gunnison River. Have a still-water fly fishing trip set up for Turquoise Lake near Leadville in late June. Fly fish the Arkansas River north of Salida in late July. Sill need to set up more trips as the state and national park campground window opens for August through October.
DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 10:50 AM   #70
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Dave, No FOLLOWING! We need leaders ..... Have not heard much about the Rio Grand, so interested to hear how your CO experience turns out. Kind of looking at the rivers off I70, but that's partly due to a lecture provided recently. The small streams off the Million Dollar highway are also reported to be fun for small fish.

GUN - went with the Cabella's tying kit. Not expensive and the pieces are there in a convenient box. After you use it for a while, you will understand what works best for you. Fly gear can get expensive in a hurry. Step 1 is to decide if low labor costs or supporting American sources best suits your budget and objectives. Just about anything that will hold a hook will work. However if your need is high volume, your feature list will grow. Having a carry vice and another for winter inventory production may be your approach. I just wanted something with which to learn the skill. Note - some fly fishing groups provide lessons and offer loaners that you can use to learn and purchase if you like them.

Sun came out today - time to get out and about a bit. Pat