Old 01-16-2016, 04:20 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Grand Rapids , Michigan
The Henry's Fork of the Snake River at Last Chance, ID. Only an hour from the Upper Madison (Slide Area) and the Green Drake hatch in the early spring can be spectacular. Need some practice and patience casting downstream to finicky Rainbows, but it's a thrill when you get one to strike.

Old 01-16-2016, 06:00 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
All excellent suggestions.

Old 04-04-2016, 07:47 PM   #17
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
All - this is an information down load from the notes I took durring a presentation by a MOHO owner and his wife. The are really into fly fishing and travel to a lot of places in search of trout. This presentation was centered on Southwest Colorado. They did not get all the way into the corner around Mesa Verde. We hope to investigate that area sometime this year or early next.

John's presentation centered on Lake City area. They spent some time with Durango and Lake City fly shops to gather info on good fishing spots. My apology for miss-spells or errors in location.

Lake City - Dan's Fly Shop
Lake Fork
Cebolla Creek - sounded and looked quite nice.
Brush Crek off Cebolla Creek
Almont
Spring Creek
Lower Mill Creek
Taylor River and resevoir
North of Lake City
Big Blue Creek
Conejos - East of Durango
Conejos River
Elk Creek
Durango - Duranglers Fly shop
East Fork Hermusa Creek
Rigeway
Forks of Cimaron
Animous River - below spillway - I think this is where the big ones were reported
South Fork of Rio Grand
Beaver Creek
Uncompagne River
Creede
Beaver Ponds
Bachero Loop Road
Big Springs Creek

From the internet - The Mancos River is a desert stream that flows through Mancos Canyon and the town of Mancos near Mesa Verde National Park.The upper forks offer the best fishing for trout. Most of the Mancos flows through tribal and private lands before entering New Mexico. We plan to try it when we finally get to go.

The private land area may be available as access evidently is variable depending on the owner.. The deal is reported to be that if you catch and release, don't make a mess and are not obtrusive, lots of owners will let you fish. Just know they are likely watching and some may give you a visit.

Some of these areas require a bit of gravel road travel.

Travel and fish safe - we want to hear the stories and see the smiles. Pat
Old 04-05-2016, 12:02 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Saskatchewan
Tagging in for future info. Interested in fly fishing but still learning. Sure wished there was a rally someplace we could to to get some proper pointers

Cheers
Doug

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

WBCCI #2525 (Region-10 Unit #120)
Air #85270
Arcticfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 03:55 PM   #19
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Doug - lots of on-line video on youtube - how to, where to, and what to.

Not expensive, but not as inexpensive as a $25 spinning rod and a $50 fishing license. By the time you have a rig you will be in to this for $150 rod, $75 reel, $25 line, $5 leader, $25 of flys and a $50 fishing license. Plan to double that if you are not careful, plan on cold water wadding, or have a wide taste in fishing venues. Add about another $50 of odds and ends like a hat, tools, and polarized sun glasses. When you get into it, your budget will expand with your available discretionary spending allocation. Careful not to eat into the AS budget.

Look at Cabellas for gear. They have most of the main brands as well as their own labels. LL Bean is not terrible as an alternative and has a great return policy. After you have looked some, you need to talk to an expert, friend or relative. If you have a local shop that specializes in Fly Fishing, they can be a big help if you hit them when they are not busy. Once you have a feel for what you want, the on line close outs, fly fishing shows and marketing special offers can all be good value. But do not forget to shop your local folks. They need to make a living too.

It is not as hard as it looks. Really! Get a rod, reel, and some line. Then practice. A 50-100 ft open area is enough. Videos help. Practice.....after a while, what the video said sinks in.

Have reasonable expectations. With catch and release, you don't keep the fish, so if you don't catch any, you are none the worse off. Plan on flailing the water and develop some skill. The folks watching will think you are after the monster.

Every day on the water adds another day to your life. I read it on the internet, so it must be true.

Good Luck - tight lines. Pat

PS - never caught a fish, good possibility I never will, but I plan on extending my life a bunch! Almost as much fun as an Airstream.
Old 04-05-2016, 04:06 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
A long time ago my father and I fly fished the San Juan River below Navaho Dam in New Mexico south of Durango. The largest trout I've ever caught. I hope to get back into fly fishing when I retire in about 2 years.

I purchased a 4 piece fly rod, reel and line from Cabellas in 2012 to replace my old Fenwick fiberglass rod from the 60s. Haven't had a chance to use it.

I just can't seem to find the time to get to one of Missouri's trout parks, Roaring River State Park. Its only 60 miles away and has camping right on the river.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 04:14 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Sacramento , California
Let's start a fly fishing group. I'm a self taught flailer and 30+year catch and release guy. Beware the WBCCI groups. It is practically impossible to break into the "clique". We joined last year and tried multiple times to rally and unless someone dies you can't get into the inner sanctum.
Old 04-05-2016, 04:26 PM   #22
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Kevin - set up that rig and practice a bit some night this week. It will make that two years go faster. Hold it, I've got that backwards. If you are thinking about fishing and ASing it will take for ever for two years to pass. But you do want to enjoy every day, so practice a bit anyway.

Plan to try the San Jaun on one of our trips. It gets great reviews. Not sure it will be included on the next trip as it's just a tiny bit off the planned route. But a todo list is a good thing to have when it's trip planning time.

It's spring and you need to find a place to try out that new rig. I can just see the pan fish rising to a dry fly for you.

Good Luck, stay dry and travel safe. Pat
Old 04-05-2016, 04:40 PM   #23
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
LB - Sorry to hear about your difficulty with the WBCCI. Our experience at least initially, is quite good. We went to the Greater Bay Area AS Club's Gillroy Rally and had a great time. Folks worked quite hard to make everyone welcome. We also spent some time talking to the Regional President who is a NorCal member. Very interesting folks so far.

Member of the Diablo Valley Fly Fishing club. Look them up on line. They might be a good fit for you. Most of their trips are East and North.

Stay dry and travel safe. Pat
Old 04-05-2016, 05:12 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
Doug - lots of on-line video on youtube - how to, where to, and what to.

Not expensive, but not as inexpensive as a $25 spinning rod and a $50 fishing license. By the time you have a rig you will be in to this for $150 rod, $75 reel, $25 line, $5 leader, $25 of flys and a $50 fishing license. Plan to double that if you are not careful, plan on cold water wadding, or have a wide taste in fishing venues. Add about another $50 of odds and ends like a hat, tools, and polarized sun glasses. When you get into it, your budget will expand with your available discretionary spending allocation. Careful not to eat into the AS budget.

Look at Cabellas for gear. They have most of the main brands as well as their own labels. LL Bean is not terrible as an alternative and has a great return policy. After you have looked some, you need to talk to an expert, friend or relative. If you have a local shop that specializes in Fly Fishing, they can be a big help if you hit them when they are not busy. Once you have a feel for what you want, the on line close outs, fly fishing shows and marketing special offers can all be good value. But do not forget to shop your local folks. They need to make a living too.

It is not as hard as it looks. Really! Get a rod, reel, and some line. Then practice. A 50-100 ft open area is enough. Videos help. Practice.....after a while, what the video said sinks in.

Have reasonable expectations. With catch and release, you don't keep the fish, so if you don't catch any, you are none the worse off. Plan on flailing the water and develop some skill. The folks watching will think you are after the monster.

Every day on the water adds another day to your life. I read it on the internet, so it must be true.

Good Luck - tight lines. Pat

PS - never caught a fish, good possibility I never will, but I plan on extending my life a bunch! Almost as much fun as an Airstream.
Thanks very much for this Pat. I actually own a rig already, I just need to get a few instructions on how and what to do with it. I have practised a few times in my back yard and actually seem to be able to cast it (sort of). I'm just not sure how or what flies to use etc. One of these days, I will bump into someone fly fishing and I will bend their ear enough to at least get started....

Thanks again

Cheers
Doug

WBCCI #2525 (Region-10 Unit #120)
Air #85270
Arcticfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 05:47 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Sacramento , California
NO fair! Western Fly Fishing thread but leaving off California. The Smith River near Crescent City, Mc Cloud River near Shasta, Hat Creek near Burney, Upper Sacramento near Redding, Russian River in Sonoma Co for salmon & steelhead, Carson and Truckee and Walker Rivers in the Sierras... Shall I go on? DH says, "Don't forget the lakes."
Old 04-05-2016, 06:12 PM   #26
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Doug

Kind of is good enough. Does not hurt the stories you tell when you get home one little bit. And if anyone comments on your style, just tell them it's the East Coast method ..... unless of course they are from the East Coast.

Just about every fly shop can help you with the flys for their area. A bit of research on dry flys, nymphs, and streamers helps so you understand what is happening. Watch a few videos on fly tying. The good tyers spend some time on why they are making the fly the way it is constructed.

Presentation is supposed to be key. A lot of bad flys will get a hit if they are presented correctly. That would be in front of the fish's nose in a natural fashion with no drag. A lot of good flys don't get a hit because the fish are feeding on something specific and the fly is not to their taste. That is where the experts get hit and the flailers get to watch.

It does help a lot to get good local info. I picked up a guide book that had interviews with about a dozen different guides. I am convinced that you can learn a lot from a guide if you are willing to listen and try new approaches. I am also convinced that you can have a lot of fun and catch a lot of fish without ever even watching a guide. It's all in how and what you want to learn.

Part of fly fishing is a zen kind of experience. It can be an emotional escape that lets you develop a mental focus that moves you away from the day to day stresses that wear us down. It helps a lot to not keep score and to be in it to have fun.

Hope you find time to give it a try. Stay dry and safe. Pat
Old 04-05-2016, 06:31 PM   #27
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindaebrewer View Post
NO fair! Western Fly Fishing thread but leaving off California. The Smith River near Crescent City, Mc Cloud River near Shasta, Hat Creek near Burney, Upper Sacramento near Redding, Russian River in Sonoma Co for salmon & steelhead, Carson and Truckee and Walker Rivers in the Sierras... Shall I go on? DH says, "Don't forget the lakes."
Linda, linda, linda .... Now you have gone and done it. Don't you know that you never let out the good fishing near your home area. If you do, all the folks go there and you can't get a line in anywhere, anytime, anyhow.

Now, just don't tell them about Putah Creek or the Delta. At least then we can still ..... ooops!

Stay dry and travel safe. Pat
Old 04-05-2016, 06:56 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
If you can afford about $400-$500 and have a buddy that can split the cost a 1/2 day guided service on your favorite rivers is highly recommended. Gotta pay for your education. You get to fish with the guide, learn the flies of the area and possibly fish some parts of the river not open to the public.

While a love to use dry fly fish its the nymphs and subsurface flies that catch more. You have to learn a different set of techniques for wet fly fishing.

I'm useless on lakes. Never seem to have any luck especially when fly fishing. I prefer rivers and creeks.

Maybe TwoChicks will check in on this thread and make some suggestions on waters.

Kelvin

KJRitchie is online now   Reply With Quote

« Escapade - Tuscon | Top | - »