Old 03-12-2018, 08:45 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
Could you have a private group but keep it here and make that work.

That would give you the opportunity to see how many folks join in and use the private setting.

Or is that forum function only for Region/Units to communicate with their unit membership.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 01:03 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

Kensington , Maryland
Gotcha Bob. I reckon the point is that if you are focused on VA activities you will read/post and reply in that space and potentially network with others who have the same bent.

We'd need few rules. Usually a simple declaration as a preamble for the forum is enough to refer back to (link) if fer-erners start to encroach Maw fetch my shootin' iron.

Old 03-12-2018, 01:47 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Blacksburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore View Post
greg,
so we can't mention trucks, hitches, generators, barking dogs, or gyms?
I'm in.
Pat
lol
Old 03-12-2018, 02:54 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Entropy applies to forum threads, just like the rest of the universe. Everything eventually dissolves into chaos...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 08:05 AM   #33
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Entropy applies to forum threads, just like the rest of the universe. Everything eventually dissolves into chaos...
Hi

Exactly.

If there is not a lot of energy put into this and that, the outcome is not going to be what you hoped for. Thus the basic approach here of putting in areas for this and that, but not in any way limiting access to those areas.

The bigger issue is that a post in a specialized area pops up on the main "hey look at this" scroll. People respond to the post without noting the area it's from. That creates as much "fun" as any of the rest of the setup.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:20 AM   #34
4 Rivet Member

Kensington , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Exactly.

If there is not a lot of energy put into this and that, the outcome is not going to be what you hoped for. Thus the basic approach here of putting in areas for this and that, but not in any way limiting access to those areas.

The bigger issue is that a post in a specialized area pops up on the main "hey look at this" scroll. People respond to the post without noting the area it's from. That creates as much "fun" as any of the rest of the setup.

Bob
FWIIW any portion of the forum maybe excluded from the search function if that is a impediment.

I'll bow out. Good talk.
Old 03-14-2018, 07:21 AM   #35
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too tall View Post
FWIIW any portion of the forum maybe excluded from the search function if that is a impediment.

I'll bow out. Good talk.
Hi

Yup, it can be done that way. It's not the way they do it here. That's one of the sources of the "clutter" in threads.( = trailer answers to motor home questions ...). It also gives threads a lot more views, so getting real input is more likely as well.

There are no perfect solutions .....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 07:37 AM   #36
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Gainesville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Ok, so here we are as the admin group for the Va regional forum. (and yes, I'm picking on Va ). Along comes Joe who wants to be part of it. It's a state forum, we ask him if he lives in Va. He gets back to us and says sure he does. Do we let him in at that point? We check his IP address and it's in Montana ... hmmm .... Do we ask for pictures of driver's licenses? Airstream's *do* go mobile.

Before you go and suggest that nobody would ever go through all that .... I'm on forum's where that is the process. Even so, things do sometimes go wrong.

Next, we have a validated group. How often do we re-validate it? Why bother? Well, over time accounts may get "passed on". Never happens? Not often, but it does. People move out of state with some regularity.

Yes, this is fairly rigorous, I'd say that if you *really* want a Va only group, it's about the only way. Otherwise, you will have guy's named Bob who live in PA joining up . If just anybody can join by clicking a button ... what's the point?

Bob, the VA thread guy in PA
How about subforums that exclude peopke from canada or cal or wherever.. No thanks.e that would be the next step in the process.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 07:43 AM   #37
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Gainesville , Florida
Get off airforums and start your own. We are fine here. Just my opinion.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:25 AM   #38
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Spotsylvania , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too tall View Post

I'll bow out. Good talk.
I find the search function useless on this forum. Maybe it is the way I phrase my search. If I do get lucky then it is all about weeding through the BS to get to the answer which I may or may not find.

Let me clarify that I have only been an AS owner for 4 1/2 yrs and I do not belong to a Wally Club. The wife two years ago wanted to attend a VA Wally Rally but we found nothing listed on this forum. We did some searching within the Wally groups in VA and found one within a 2 hr drive. It wasn't listed on the rally host website it was listed on another VA Wally groups website.

To me it would be helpful to have a listing of all the different State or Regional Rallies on this forum with contact information. But if a host of a Rally doesn't list the information on its own site they probably won't list it on this site either.

Never mind.............................
KWN306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 12:04 PM   #39
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Gainesville , Florida
The wally club hasnothing to do with this forum. 2 different things.
Old 03-31-2018, 06:01 PM   #40
4 Rivet Member

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
So, is the Virginia Airstream Support Group a thing now?

I hope so.
WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:29 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
OK, a member of our Unit did it on FB. Join us ::
Virginia Airstream Group
2013 GMC Denali 2500HD 6.6 DuraMax - Sierra Blanca
TAC VA-18 | WBAC 1927 - Shen. Valley Unit 149 | AIR 53869
with Corey, the Norwegian Forest Cat
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote