Old 08-01-2011, 09:17 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Could you please tell me if any of the sites are next to the creek? We have children who love to wade and play in the water. We are trying to decide about wbbci. It is a big expense (for us) and we are trying to decide whether to join or not. We are leaning toward joining. We have heard that some wbbci members are disgruntled about having younger families and children around. We read the newsletters in the wbbci site and they certainly did seem geared toward an older generation. We have seven wild, I mean seven quiet, I mean seven children and we are just unsure about whther we would be welcomed.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:28 AM   #30
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJRC View Post
Hi, I am membership director at TOP. I will be happy too answer any questions you have.
Welcome to the Forums! Your input will be of much help to anyone wondering about TOG - plus any other experiences you can share.

Thanks for posting.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:52 AM   #31
Hedonistic Bohemian

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Atlanta , Georgia
Kids can be a pleasure or a nuisance at any campground/park. It's no different here. Since you have the good sense to care enough to consider it, yours are probably the former.

There are no age restrictions. This is not a 50+ community or anything like it. Some people don't like pets, some of those people will be here. Some people don't like kids, some of those people will be here. Pets and kids are welcomed, and by nearly everyone here.

The creek that runs the length of the park could be played in. Many sites back up to the creek and they tend to get filled. It's a natural setting not a landscaped one, not really setup for play.

The low cost tubing in Helen is great for families and kids. Unicoi State Park nearby has some swimming at the lake.

It's unfortunate that our park, which we figure costs $7/night, actually costs $50/night for a family like yours that has no other use for the WBCCI and just wants to come here for a couple of nights, when you add in membership.

Maybe we should offer 4 nights free with WBCCI signup or renewal to encourage it, if we feel so strongly about that.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:14 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
We are very interested in connecting with other Airstreamers. It is not that wbcci has nothing to offer us, we love the feeling of community here on the forums and also in the larger community. We do a lot of volunteering in our home lives and we try to focus on being good caretakers of the planet and of each other. We have always been airstream fans, and also campers. We finally have our first airstream after years of admiring them and camping in a 1969 popup camper. We like to be involved and we like to be helpful. We are intrigued by wbcci. We are just making surethat it is not really an organization of retirees who would really prefer younger families and children stay out! We want to be part of the group and feel we have something to offer, we just don't want to ruin it for others if there is a strong feeling across the board (and not just with a few) who wish the group were reserved for empty-nesters. We supervise our children and expect them to be respectful and responsible at all times, but they are definitely children and they ourptnumber us, so we are just trying to make sure we ourselves are respectful to others who might not welcome larger or younger families, based on a few comments here and there by people who are members who feel that children should not be present. I realize that is is not a tog question, but rather a wbcci question. Should I try to repost elsewhere? Are there other families who are very active wbcci members?
Old 08-01-2011, 10:48 AM   #33
Hedonistic Bohemian

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Atlanta , Georgia
For me, WBCCI membership is access to the Top of Georgia Airstream Park. If there's another benefit to WBCCI membership, I don't relate to it. YMMV.

The user group I started this thread to discuss is a Top of Georgia User Group. WBCCI membership is required, save the one free night previously mentioned. That's just how it is I guess. So it's $85/year. Whatever.

I think your family would enjoy the park, the area, and the people. I recommend it. You do the math on costs.

The monthly rate is $180, generally $6/day. Many people take advantage of that and leave their trailer here for a month or a season, visiting it a couple of weekends a month rather than hauling it around. Storage is $2/day, a way to save even more without hauling.

Maybe the presence of your family would cause those people who "would really prefer younger families and children stay out" to be here less. Hmm. Yes, you are welcome here! Seriously, don't get your hopes up about WBCCI membership, but the Top of Georgia Airstream Park is a good place for your family.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:06 AM   #34
Hedonistic Bohemian

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Atlanta , Georgia
One more note on WBCCI membership: The park is run and hosted by volunteers - mayhap the club/membership/loyalty/responsibility thing makes that work. So...join?
Old 08-01-2011, 03:15 PM   #35
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
I don't think you can wade in the creek! No fishing either. TOG is not for everyone. jim
Old 08-01-2011, 09:02 PM   #36
Hedonistic Bohemian

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Atlanta , Georgia
To clarify, Top of Georgia Airstream Park IS here for everyone, Airstreams only and WBCCI members only caveats as noted.

What was surely meant was that it may not be everyone's choice to stay here.

While I'm sure you can wade in the creek, you probably wouldn't. You surely can fish in it, but you won't catch anything I don't think.

There are other reasons why you might not choose ToG. There are no fire rings at the sites, or even wood fires in firebowls allowed. The highway is a little close and louder than you would like. You will not be pleased with your cellphone reception. There is no digital TV reception (12 channel analog cable free is all). The Internet system in the park (also free) is "limited" in that you can't be using it a lot (10-20M per site per day is all it can support).

And if cicadas bother you, you will be bothered, at least in the summer. I love the sound myself. Or if you hate to look up at night and see the Milky Way.

So, it's not for everybody in that sense.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:49 AM   #37
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
No fishing and the creek is really rocky, but a great place to go and relax. Makes a good basecamp even for Cherokee, nc,, etc. Traffic noise can be a problem during the day on the weekend because of the number of motorcycles. In the evening tog is fantastic. We love it and encourage everyone to give it a try. jim
Old 08-02-2011, 10:00 AM   #38

2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
Columbus , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatiero View Post
Could you please tell me if any of the sites are next to the creek? We have children who love to wade and play in the water. We are trying to decide about wbbci. It is a big expense (for us) and we are trying to decide whether to join or not. We are leaning toward joining. We have heard that some wbbci members are disgruntled about having younger families and children around. We read the newsletters in the wbbci site and they certainly did seem geared toward an older generation. We have seven wild, I mean seven quiet, I mean seven children and we are just unsure about whther we would be welcomed.
Hi Skatiero, I doubt if any of the sites next to the creek are open. A lot of people bring their campers up in April and leave the until November. They get the prime spots...next to the creek. You could call the host at the park and check. I will give you the #706 878 3590. The park is becoming a lot more kid friendly. We have gotten a lot of new members with children. Actually, our membership is becoming a little younger in general. Our July rally is all about children with all activities geared toward them. Let me know if you have other questions
Old 08-02-2011, 02:10 PM   #39
vintage travelers

1972 31' Sovereign
Johnson City , on the road
Smile

The best kept secret in airstream parks, We stayed there in 2009 winter just loved the park and the people and the town. In the area is so much to do and see with the many waterfalls and fed and state parks the best base camp for the money try it you will love it like we do .
Old 09-08-2011, 12:33 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
My daughter and I just attended a rally there this past weekend (she is 11). There was another couple there with twin girls (younger) and a third family came later with middle to young high school aged children.

We also brought our dog along. About half of the park is open to dogs, and the northern most is restricted for those who don't care for pets.

They do have a large fire pit near the main hall which can be reserved/used by campers except during rallys. ( At least that is my understanding of the rules).

When we left on Monday, there were several spots next to the creek which were open as well as many spots backing up to the mountain.

As to the original question in the first post, I think a TOG subgroup would be great and I would be a participant if it were formed.

The next rally at TOG is October 5-9. Until then, the park will have plenty of open spaces.

Someone asked in an earlier thread about open and closed dates for the park. TOG is open all year and there is always a ton of stuff to do in the area.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:34 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Everyone, we just joined WBCCI and had a GREAT time visiting Top of Georgia!!! ToG has a new facebook page, too. Please "like" the page and add your comments and photos! What a wonderful place! Thanks again, Aviator, for inviting us to the rally!

https://www.facebook.com/TopofGeorgiaAirstreamPark
Old 07-17-2014, 01:40 PM   #42
1 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Anderson , South Carolina
Thanks for the information