Old 07-29-2011, 09:33 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member
2000 27' Safari
Suwanee , Georgia
Send a message via AIM to Silverexpress
As far as I know, it's a closed park for only WBCCI members. I'm not a member. So when I head up that way I simply make a reservation at Unicoi State Park or head up to the North Georgia Fairgrounds.

John & Robin
99 27' Safari
AIR #34494

Living the Airstream Life:
Silverexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 11:31 AM   #16
Hedonistic Bohemian
2007 27' Safari FB SE
Atlanta , Georgia
So, replies about ToG, but not much about the idea of an Airforums Group for ToG.

I think a lot of ToG users don't use Airforums, so wouldn't benefit. Maybe that could change though.

I like the idea but often have poor judgement when it comes to how other people think. So I'm really looking for comments about the ToG Airforums Group idea.

Bohemian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 12:04 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
North central , Florida
TOG is owned by the Georgia Unit. It is basic friendly camping. No pool, etc. But it does have hiking trails. Lots of activities nearby . Helen, ga, state parks with biking and hiking at parks. Helen ga is a swiss replica town, fun. Cleveland ga where the cabbage patch dolls live is nearby as is the app trail. Friendly laid back people. Small playground for kids. Again you must be a WBCCI member to camp there. jim
1984 Avion 30p 9.1 meter. 2006 Dodge 3500 cummins srw short bed crew cab.
avionstream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 12:52 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
For those who like that park you should also look into our Falluminum and Springstream No GA Rallys at Hiawassee's GA Mountain Fair Campgrounds....shameluss plug for a fun weeekdn twice a year. There is info posted on the forums...

sorry about hijacking the thread
1966 Overlander
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:19 PM   #19

1992 29' Excella
Van By The River , Georgia
Airforums ToG (The Top)

Danielle and I are interested in hearing posts/discussions related to Top of Georgia (The Top as I sometimes here it called). We have not spent a night there but we plan to - does that count?

So... I/we vote for a thread/group/etc. related to Top of Georgia.

Regarding ALANSD's shameless plug for Springstream and Falluminum - both those events are lots of fun with lot's of attendees. If you like the North Georgia area go to Top of Georgia before or after the spring or fall Airforums rally.

Lucius and Danielle
1992 29' Excella Classic
1996 GMC Suburban C2500 7.4L
2005 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 8.1L
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:29 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member
2005 25' Safari
FL Panhandle , Florida
We love TOG and the town of Helen! My avatar pic was taken while we were there last October. Jerry: how much do you save if you're members of TOG?
Sandy & Pete
Foil-warped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 03:47 PM   #21
Hedonistic Bohemian
2007 27' Safari FB SE
Atlanta , Georgia
I note that there have been a few posts related to a ToG Airforums User Group. Keep those comments coming...

There is a lot of misinformation about ToG going around. The official ToG website is...

Top of Georgia Airstream Park (

It's not great, but it's factually accurate in what it says.

You have to arrive with an Airstream to stay here. If you are not a WBCCI member you can stay one night (free?) as a courtesy and/or introductory offer type thing. I recommend that for folk who don't know if it's worth joining the WBCCI just to be able to stay here.

The rates are very low because the park is non-profit and operated by volunteers. Hosts are in charge for a week at a time: Tuesday-to-Tuesday. We thank them very much. So at $7 per night, you can save your $85/year WBCCI membership cost pretty quickly compared to comparable parks.

When the Georgia Unit is having a rally then each person staying in the park has to pay the rally fee. There are meals and expenses and that's the way it works. The website has rally dates and you could avoid or embrace the rallies, but be aware.

Ditto on Falluminum and Springstream.

Answers to some of the questions posted here:

Is it child-friendly? It's safe and there's a playground area of sorts. Paved roadways for kids to ride around on. Kids are welcome.

Is there shade? None of the sites are under trees, but the trees and mountains shade them until mid-morning and after mid-afternoon, depending on site selection. The park is at 1800 feet elevation and is 3 degrees cooler than Atlanta night and day. There are three covered pavilions with bench swings and a table or two and fans.

Is there fishing or wading or swimming? A nice creek runs through the park, Andrews Creek. Not enough for fishing, but the headwaters of the Chattahoochee River are nearby and that and other areas are fished. While you wouldn't wade or swim in the creek (you could) there is tubing on the Chattahoochee through nearby Helen all summer and lots of fun for $5.

And can we join WBCCI there? You can join the WBCCI here. The host can facilitate that. The cost is currently $85, some of which supports the Georgia Unit, some the WBCCI. You can stay a week for $85+$(7*7) or a month for $85+$180 or 6 months for $85+$(180*6). You do the math.

Do we need reservations? Reservations are not accepted, or needed. The best sites go first, on a first-come first-served basis. In practice, except during rallies, a site with a concrete pad for your trailer and a concrete pad under your awning is available always. When those are full, there are more without the concrete and the hookups are arranged for "rally parking" - i.e. two trailers can fit on one spot and both hooked up to all utilities - a worst case scenario that we don't really see even during rallies.

NOTE: I don't represent the park, I'm just posting on this forum. That's how the Top of Georgia Airforums User Group I am proposing would be. In a good way.
Old 07-30-2011, 05:32 AM   #22
Rivet Idiot
1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Over Yonder , Florida
Originally Posted by Bandits
We are at TOG now and will certainly be here through the end of August if not longer. Looking forward to seeing you.
that is great. Look forward to seeing you there. Not su exactly when we are headed up, but I will PM you when we are headed your way.
AirHeadsRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 05:14 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Marietta , Georgia

I would ald live info on joining!
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 06:29 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Marietta , Georgia
The TOG user forum is an interesting idea, and I would probably at least subscribe. Now having said that, we are not WBCCI members and I do know the rules (would have to be a member). I have been a WBCCI and TOG "lurker" for a long time - trying to make sense of how/why I would join both, so like a lot of things sometimes you just need a tipping point...

I would think a forum like you describe could be an interesting mechanism to drive further interest in both - and would provide value.
The Slowsky's
2008 Airstream 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2014 Ford F250 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley Hitch
WBCCI #1271
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:17 PM   #25
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
Columbus , Georgia
Originally Posted by UAPachyderm View Post
I searched around but I can't find information on membership application and cost. TOG appears to be providing real value to members. Can you link info or PM me?
Hi, I am membership director at TOP. I will be happy too answer any questions you have.
CJRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:08 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member
2004 28' International CCD
Birmingham , Alabama
Originally Posted by CJRC
Hi, I am membership director at TOP. I will be happy too answer any questions you have.
Joined 7/31 and 1st post? ... and thank you for your membership!

I received a PM that mostly answered my questions and it included a phone number if I had more. With all due respect to the many members of WBCCI, we just haven't perceived WBCCI as something for our family. Although we like keeping our Airstreaming in a free spirit and absent of structure, TOG's campground is interesting, we'll try to find our way up to Helen and check y'all out. Thank you for the response.
UAPachyderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:31 PM   #27
Hedonistic Bohemian
2007 27' Safari FB SE
Atlanta , Georgia
It seems like the answers should be posted on the ToG website. If not, then the User Group I'm proposing here at Airforums could be a repository of such answers. Just now we have questions asked and answered, via private message, and not posted anywhere.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:19 AM   #28
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
Columbus , Georgia
I understand. Drop by the TOP if you are in the area. You can spend one night as our guest. We would love to hve you.

CJRC is offline   Reply With Quote