Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > Other Clubs
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-24-2014, 06:37 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Tin can tourist

There seems to be some confusion on my part as to the tin can tourist club and a musical group with the same name. Facebook has both. Am I the only one trying to figure this out? Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 06:48 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
There are two of them, as you note. The one is indeed a music group (just a couple) out of Bisbee with a nice "about" note:
Quote:
The original Tin Can Tourists traveled west in trailers to escape the Dust Bowl during the Great Depression. It was a derogatory term but that didn't stop their determination in looking for a simple and better life. Often it was their music that made those lean years bearable and we want to celebrate that determination and honor their sacrifices through the music styles of their era.

We are a real life married couple from Bisbee, Arizona. We love music, we love people and we love each other and we're making our way across the musical spectrum of the West in search of the simple lives and soulful songs of those who came before us.
https://www.facebook.com/tctbzb/info

The other is a closed FB group for communications, not unlike several of the WBCCI groups on FB:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/tincantourists/

Lynn
Old 03-24-2014, 07:08 AM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
The original Tin Can Tourists traveled west in trailers to escape the Dust Bowl during the Great Depression. It was a derogatory term but that didn't stop their determination in looking for a simple and better life.
I must disagree. Having grown up in southwest Oklahoma and studied my Oklahoma history in school, I can tell you without fear of contradiction that those were the Okies, not the Tin Can Tourists.

On the other hand, there is group of Tin Can Tourists whose story is somewhat less apocryphal. Check out these links:

Tin Can Tourists

Tin Can Tourists
Old 03-24-2014, 11:03 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
It was my impression, with out looking back, that they were more inclined to hang around in FL, possibly more on the west coast, Tampa, Sarasota, Bradenton etc
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 12:44 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Only in the winter. Check the web site. Mid April meeting in Tybee Island, ga. 40 signed up so far. Other rally's on the west coast and Midwest. Jim
Old 03-24-2014, 01:59 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
Only in the winter. Check the web site. Mid April meeting in Tybee Island, ga. 40 signed up so far. Other rally's on the west coast and Midwest. Jim
Jim Guess I did not state it too well.
I was referring to the original Tin Can Tourists, not the current version that has get togethers everywhere
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

Old 03-24-2014, 02:09 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Yea, the originals were something else. Lots of get togethers here in Gainesville and Archer as well as farther south in the state. Wish I could load up some of the old pictures. Maybe my wife will help me. Jim
Old 03-24-2014, 02:15 PM   #8
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDavis View Post
Jim Guess I did not state it too well.
I was referring to the original Tin Can Tourists, not the current version that has get togethers everywhere
Actually, the original Tin Can Tourists mostly got together in Florida in the colder months and the Midwest in the warmer months, from what I've read. The current group is just carrying on the tradition.

The Canopener rally in January may trace its antecedents back to the Tin Can Tourists as well, for that matter. The elected president of the original Tin Can Tourists was called the "Royal Can Opener," after all.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:10 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
We belong to Tin Can Tourists and have been to number of gatherings. Always a lot of fun and a lot of Airstreams. No bureaucracy , very informal , but organized. Highly recommend TCT.
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:00 AM   #10
The SilverSleeper

2001 28' Excella
2005 25' Classic
1988 23' Excella
Daphne , Alabama
Tct

Just left a Tin Can Tourist rally in Kissimmee,FL. Great bunch of folks and a good rally. They showed a lot of pictures and movies about the TCT and everything was very informal. We left the rally yesterday and are headed to the Florida State Rally in the Keys. See ya there !
Beaubill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:16 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaubill View Post
Just left a Tin Can Tourist rally in Kissimmee,FL. Great bunch of folks and a good rally. They showed a lot of pictures and movies about the TCT and everything was very informal. We left the rally yesterday and are headed to the Florida State Rally in the Keys. See ya there !
WE will also be heading for the keys tomorrow from our current "undisclosed location" near Lake Okeechobee.

We have enjoyed the few TCT events we have had time to attend.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

Old 04-08-2014, 07:36 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
Quote:
Mid April meeting in Tybee Island, ga. 40 signed up so far.
actually, over 70 trailers now IIRC and nearly 200 will attend, myself included.

http://riversendcampground.wordpress...nd-campground/

I like the fact that (possibly due to the lower cost of other vintage trailers) there are lots of folks of every age, including kids. While i'm not so into the 'kitsch' of it, it's fun to look at and such a variety of trailers and vintage cars and stuff.

FB group is 'closed' only so that your posts aren't viewable by public and other non-group members, but the group is 'open' to non-dues paying members. actually most on the TCT FB page are non-paying members.

C'mon by, yall are welcome.
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 12:32 PM   #13
Jay Thompson

2009 34' Classic
Tallahassee, , Florida
My parents and I joined the Tin Can Tourist in 1946 at the Christmas rally at the Arcadia fairgrounds. I was 12 years old and we lived in a 29' trailer my father had made, pulled it with a 1941 Buick Special. The Fall rally was in Dade City at the Municipal Trailer Park, the Christmas rally in Arcadia, while the big winter rally was at the Tampa Municipal Park in late Feb. the Summer rally was in Traverse City at the fairgrounds. We participated in those rallies until 1951.
jaydthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 11:54 PM   #14

Glen Burnie, MD 21061 , Maryland
Hello,
I need to join a musical club as well. Does anyone have an idea hoe to join a club ?
elizabethbec is offline   Reply With Quote