ibgl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:54 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
1968 26' Overlander
Beaver County , Pennsylvania
An Archive Idea

Dave,

Thank you for taking on the TAC Newsletter. It's clear your heart is in it and in the spirit of TAC. That's appreciated by many more than you'll likely ever know.

I had a thought. But, of course, a thought without action, is just a dream. Likewise, action without thought is usually wasted effort. So, here's the thought; what if we created a thread or link, or whatever it's called, where TAC members could archive their Airstreams. Name or forum name of the member, TAC number (if you're so inclined), any Airstream details, (year, model, what you've done to it or with it) and 4 photos (at least one inside and one outside - include your pet, if you want). If you do an upgrade or add a new Airstream (or pet) to your collection, add a post (and maybe reference your original post). The idea is to create a kind of electronic archive of the Airstreams of TAC.

Now the action. If you let me know how to make it so it does all the linkage stuff, I'd be glad to start the thread. (I'm not an expert, but, I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express one time, and actually started one thread. I was kind of forced into it, but it wasn't at all painful.)

Thanks again for your engagement and ownership of the TAC Newsletter,

Roy

Old 08-31-2010, 09:51 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
That's a good idea, and I think it would be helpful to most people. I think it's something that's best done by a website or forum first - like... AIRFORUMS!

I haven't slept in a couple of days, but I'd like to think on this some more and share it around after some sleep and see what we can get going in the way of a photographic "member's directory" that includes us and our Airstreams.

Maybe it's something for a separate website, if someone wants to do that?
Old 08-31-2010, 10:11 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1996 34' Limited
humboldt , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Park View Post
That's a good idea, and I think it would be helpful to most people. I think it's something that's best done by a website or forum first - like... AIRFORUMS!

I haven't slept in a couple of days, but I'd like to think on this some more and share it around after some sleep and see what we can get going in the way of a photographic "member's directory" that includes us and our Airstreams.

Maybe it's something for a separate website, if someone wants to do that?
I did a photo directory of each couple by their Airstream for all the attendees at the Iowa First TAC Rally. Each attendee now has a copy. It's a nice reminder of all the new friends we made
tintent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 04:08 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Registry

Look above in the Blue background list of links...

See "Registry" - is this what you had in mind? DTO Garage Plus Help

Rob
http://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - http://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 02:11 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
Aaaaand here it is...

TAC September 2010 magazine

This is a half-way magazine - it's laid out nicely, but I want some feedback on it to make next month's mag even better

This is a temporary link - the mag'll be posted on the TAC website in the next day or so.

I went for "ok" quality photos and about a 557 kb file size - better quality photos make a 1.4 MB file and I don't know how big is acceptable since people have different speed connections. Do you think I should do two versions? Smaller for people on dialup or slow wifi, and a better version for people with broadband?

Enjoy!
Old 09-01-2010, 03:16 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1996 34' Limited
humboldt , Iowa
Wow!! I didn't know there would be such a volume of great information. It's very impressive. Thanks Dave for all your work.
tintent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 03:29 PM   #22
H2K
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
Sidney , Ohio
Great articles-great pics. Thanks for your work, time and effort.

Kathy
Old 09-01-2010, 03:51 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
Thanks.

Now that I know what sort of things will be going into it, the next issue will be better organized - especially the calendar!

I welcome feedback.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:19 PM   #24
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
AWESOME DAVE, FREAKIN AWESOME!!! Thank you so much for stepping up. I also think all those articles submitted were great too. Ken, very touching. Howie, makes me want to go even more. Hats off to Iowa TACers!!! Folks it is contributions like yours that will make this club great.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:42 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2005 30' Safari
Jeromesville , Ohio
I'll 2nd, 3rd, 4th..23rd, whatever the count is for this being a great newsletter. Keep it up, Dave.

As for the threads about TAC missions statements, units, governance, etc...my sentiments are not so positive. But this thread is about the newsletter itself. Great job, Dave.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:50 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Great job , Dave, Rob and frank and ALL others who added to this great issue. And also for having my picture in it.
mike (airtandem) IA-10
Old 09-01-2010, 08:24 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by WineStream View Post
As for the threads about TAC missions statements, units, governance, etc...my sentiments are not so positive. But this thread is about the newsletter itself. Great job, Dave.
Hehe yeah.

it's about what I expected. What I'm seeing so far is that everyone has a strong boundary of what is too much organization, but I'm trying to find out what the boundary is for too little organization. It's what the mag is for. We're in this interesting place where we just have to ask the questions and hear the answers so we know it really IS a consensus and then we can get on with it. Then down the road, if anyone says "why is it this way?" we can say, well, we had this whole big discussion about it.

I actually think there's room for ANOTHER club - a highly organized club with a single small group of volunteers, who run a highly democratic fee-based club that undoes the other perceived problems of WBCCI, as opposed to TAC, which is a natural response to an organization that is just too regulated to benefit most of its members.

As for the mag, like I said before, this is a sort of transitional issue. The next one will be full on magazine, with more content and a better organized layout. There's only so much you can do when it's free and you can't pay for photographs or professionally researched articles, but what's more fun than people writing about their own experiences?

I enjoyed doing it. I've been sat at home, healing, and now I have something to do
Old 09-01-2010, 08:58 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Walton Beach , Florida
Nice first cut...you're right about the resolution of the pics. Have you considered .pdf?

Since it has already been mentioned in this thread, and the subject matter did appear in articles....."I am really turned off with all this movement toward formal organization and mission statement stuff." Just what are we trying to accomplish here? If TAC is going to parallel the WBCCI, I'm ready to abandon ship already. I thought TAC was founded on the KISS principle.

In a related matter, I don't know what all the concern is regarding insurance, etc., etc., for anyone organizing a rally. I'm pulling out of the driveway tomorrow for Beachstream 2010, which I have been the lead on. If you're planning on suing me....don't come. But, if you want to come out and enjoy some fun with like-minded Airstream enthusiasts.....we would love to have you.....and, guarantee that you WILL have a good time.

If you want to see a perfect example of a GREAT forum rally.....without any formal organization, other than a couple of posted times for the happy hour, open house and a potluck dinner signup.....join us for Canopener 2011 in January. It is successful because it does not have a bureaucracy to contend with.

My suggestion for your mission statement (four letters): KISS
My recommendation for the number of units and regions: 0

Again, nice job on the first TAC magazine.

Ron

AIR # 22776
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magazine, newsletter, tac