Old 09-09-2010, 07:50 AM   #71
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
It was either/or... Either only members can vote, or make everyone an officer.

Sorry I was unclear. I had a root canal, am on antibiotics that are doing weird things to my insides, and the painkillers make me loopy!

Old 09-09-2010, 08:56 AM   #72
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Everyone can be President and the rules will be made by the Council of Presidents. Looks good on our resumés.

Many years ago I knew some guys who created a group like that and the purpose of the group was to give silly awards from the Council of Presidents to self important people who bought the whole thing as if it were real—it was called something like the American Dirigible Society. They would also write letters to cities requesting help in holding a convention and help with mooring on buildings; this would cause all sorts of consternation. All of these guys were college professors with a twisted sense of humor. You can understand why they were my friends.

There are lessons here. Does this describe another club in an alternate universe?

Gene

Old 09-09-2010, 09:12 AM   #73
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
I say nothing!
Old 09-09-2010, 09:37 AM   #74
3 Rivet Member

1999 23' Safari
Austin , Texas
Time for the founding fathers, Rob, Frank and others to weigh in on their original ideas and intentions for TAC.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:48 AM   #75
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
Rob can, but due to circumstances beyond his control Frank does not have, ummm, "access" to this site at this time.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:20 AM   #76
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Upperco , Maryland
Harumph

Everyone a president? Bah, that's like the banking industry where everyone above "teller" is a vice president. Or like the big box stores where clerks are "associates." I don't see where "title inflation" really solves anything. I also don't think officers (or whatever term you prefer) should give up a right to vote. It's one thing to keep officers from becoming too powerful; it's another to make the job so unattractive that no sane person would be interested.

How about title deflation. Call the group "in charge" the Board of Custodians or the Board of Janitors. After having served on several nonprofit boards, I can tell you that a good deal of my time was spent sweeping, cleaning, repairing, unclogging and other less-than-pleasant tasks.

One of the reasons you have a Board (or some body) is because you need people to sign a liability policy or write a check. It's a very boring, practical necessity. And I think the best way of keeping members of the Board serving for the good of the club, rather than themselves, is to bar them from receiving any benefit for service. Or, perhaps more accurately, to only receive such benefits as offered to the members.

Oh, and Gene, only a group of college professors would find themselves with so much free time.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:28 AM   #77
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by hampstead38 View Post
Oh, and Gene, only a group of college professors would find themselves with so much free time.
This reminds me of a post that made me laugh out loud a few weeks ago...

Quote:
Originally Posted by altnbndr View Post
I have been a union sheet metal worker (local # 162) for over 20years. I cut metal on a daily basis...
Likely story!
Old 09-09-2010, 10:35 AM   #78
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
Back on topic...

I've thought before that just the word "officer" raises a certain ire with some Airstreamers. Officers officiate. They tell you what to do. You work for them. I think the word itself is a big part of the problem.

May I suggest some alternate words that are not so loaded with "authority"?

Adviser
Appointee
Functionary
Public Servant
Representative

These portray the role as someone who is in a service position to the Members. (Why do I smirk when I read that sentence? )
Old 09-09-2010, 10:44 AM   #79
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Upperco , Maryland
Board of Janitors. After all, the people who do this will mostly be cleaning up messes.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:53 AM   #80
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
*grins* But then you fall into the trap that on the whole people don't want to be janitors and are snobbish to them. Who would want to take such a derided position? Something neutral is in order.

Dave the Magazine Janitor.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:29 AM   #81
4 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy 27
1969 21' Globetrotter
1953 25' Cruiser
Front Royal , Virginia
I like the idea of using Assistant mostly because of the abreviation. Dave could be the Mag. Ass.. :-)

I would like to be the Ass. to the Ass. of Sanitation. I am already my wifes Ass.. Unfortunately for you all I could go all day with this. Sorry.
nick6930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 12:19 PM   #82
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
One benefit of having an organized club is that we could be recognized when doing a rally, like other clubs. Special treatment from campgrounds or cities, donations of door prizes or food as at the bash. An unorganized group just showing up would be unlikely to attract the attention needed to keep the club growing.
98 Safari
1950 Spartan
1966 Globetrotter
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 12:53 PM   #83
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
Another benefit is that with non-profit status comes exemption from taxes - some states have steep taxes for rental accommodation including RV parks, so that could save 20% or more. Also, if the club accepted donations, they would be deductible.

Since one of the aims of TAC is to keep things affordable for members, non-profit status would be a great benefit.

Ragtag volunteers can't claim non-profit status.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:42 PM   #84
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Upperco , Maryland
Dave, you list reminded me of something. Maryland has an unusual political structure where one of the legislative bodies is the "House of Delegates." While I think Board of Janitors has a poetic ring; Board of Delegates seems very neutral.

There is also some expense in forming a 501(c) nonprofit corporation. There's some paperwork involved, articles of incorporation, etc. I agree that nonprofit status has benefits, but there are also costs such as the annual filings. Certainly, the decision to form a nonprofit would render moot the discussion about whether or not TAC should be a club without any structure.